Print Thread
Hop To
#16144135 06/05/21
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
So, Rainier Arms.com has Lapua loaded 223 ammo on sale in their latest email blast. Five hundred rounds for $315. Now I do recall when you could buy a 1000 rounds of bulk ammo for about $200, but I'm thinking that this isn't such a bad deal. Especially considering AmmoSeek is showing Barnaul/Wolf/etc for $200-$230 per 500 rounds. Even if they use a cheap bullet, you still wind up with Lapua brass when you're done. And there's this neat little banner that shows up in the ad that says "free ground shipping". https://www.rainierarms.com/lapua-223-rem-55gr-fmj-ammunition-500rd-box/

Just a heads up.......Don't flame me, Bro!

Kaiser Norton

Last edited by Kaiser Norton; 06/05/21.

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Just checked Ammo Engine. Cheapest Brass ammo is $0.58 per round. It's IMI and Norma 55gr ball, so on the good side of ball ammo, so with free shipping that doesn't look like a bad deal.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heck of a deal!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys just buying it for the brass? Is it the same good quality brass they are known for? Their 223 brass is about .80 each, so that looks like a great deal. I'd pull the bullets and sell them and use the primed brass with better bullets. Ha ha.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a bunch (1000 rounds) of this a couple of years ago, loaded ammo for less than empty brass cost.
Shot a couple of 300 yard matches with it, and the ammo didn't cost me any points that I could tell. Pulled the bullets, weighed the powder charges on 10 rounds, and it was very consistent in weight. A very short extruded powder. Averaged the weight of the 10 charges, 24.xx grains. Ran the brass thru a lee collet die, with the decapping pin cut off the mandrel, and loaded it back with 53 grain V-max bullets. Shot extremely well out of 2 different bolt guns and several ARs.

Last edited by GaryLL1959; 06/08/21. Reason: Spelling

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
I bought a bunch (1000 rounds) of this a couple of years ago, loaded ammo for less than empty brass cost.
Shot a couple of 300 yard matches with it, and the ammo didn't cost me any points that I could tell. Pulled the bullets, weighed the powder charges on 10 rounds, and it was very consistent in weight. A very short extruded powder. Averaged the weight of the 10 charges, 24.xx grains. Ran the brass thru a lee collet die, with the decapping pin cut off the mandrel, and loaded it back with 53 grain V-max bullets. Shot extremely well out of 2 different bolt guns and several ARs.

Sounds pretty good. However, I have a hard time believing any 55gr fmj is going to shoot that well, especially in a "300 yard" match. I may buy some and try it out.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a hard time believing a lot (most) of crap that's posted concerning 'my rifle shoots better than yours', 'every rifle I have shoots less than MOA all day' , ' mine's bigger than yours ' on here every day by some people.
Believe it or not, makes no difference to me. I have nothing to prove. I know what the results on target showed.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
😂🤣👍

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959

Sounds pretty good. However, I have a hard time believing any 55gr fmj is going to shoot that well, especially in a "300 yard" match. I may buy some and try it out.

BSA,

I've had VERY good luck with the Norma Tac in the black box. I've shot many 5 shot sub MOA groups with it out of my Criterion barrels. I'm getting a little short on it, and I understand their new red box equivalent isn't quite as good, not that anyone could find it now if they wanted to.

And yes, it's very nice brass as well.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The results may definitely vary depending on the quality of the particular 55 and straightness of the cartridges assembled therewith.

I have first hand experience with the 7.62 version of this situation. I've shot some 147-150 fmj stuff from several rifles known to be good shooters. The groups varied from so-so at best to pretty bad. A friend of mine saw a deal on the Norma version and asked me about it. I told him given the style of ammo it was I wouldn't have high expectations for grouping, but it was priced so well it was a deal even to get the brass from it and the factory load could provide some gong ringing trigger time for his boys. He went ahead and bought a case. It turned out to be very good shooting stuff, far superior to the Federal and Winchester made ones I had tried.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 2011/2012 I had a Tikka Varmint in 223 that shot 55gr UMC ammo into tiny groups. It was a tackdriver, but I only shot at 100 yards. I used 25x and liked trying to shoot the intersecting gridlines on the targets (1" grid). The target dots were fairly easy to hit. Haven't fired 55gr UMC since.

The Lapua ammo in the first post is a great deal. I think I paid a fair bit more for it, not too long ago. Haven't shot any though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (219DW, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.