Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I know this is a loaded question, but do they seem to shoot well in most guns? Or are not known to be generally problematic?

I've stumbled on to a big pile of them at a somewhat regular price, $44/100. (They won't ship, I ask) A 2 hour drive to go back.

I bought 2 boxes but hesitated on more as I've never used them. Just want them to shoot, not interested in profiteering at this time as I've got enough stuff to do that with if I wanted.

Just second guessing I recon.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't have much trouble getting them to sub-moa. This was a seating test with my Tikka T3x, 6.5 Creed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot them expressly,in more than a "few" rifles and if they don't dazzle,the rifle/scope/mounts are compromised. Hint.

In a Teeker Krredmire,they'll Smooch with the "M" mag and shoot quite a bit better,than the attempt(s) above. Alpha LRP,'17,200's and magfed of course. 1913 rail,real glass and a real reticle. Hint.

Groups that aren't round,are telling. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of us must struggle along doing the best we can with what we have to work with.
Maybe if I throw it in the creek the groups will get more rounder.

Last edited by NVhntr; 06/05/21.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks guys, I might have screwed up by not getting more.

They might get back to $39 a hundred, or never. Bird in the had & all that.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Karen,

I enjoy how you've PERFECTED being a "victim",as you Meltdown...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Points awarded,for being afraid of the weather too. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

'zo,

I never learned how to linger and would rather be on the top looking down,than the bottom looking up,like poor poor(literally) Karen. Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I shoot them expressly,in more than a "few" rifles and if they don't dazzle,the rifle/scope/mounts are compromised. Hint.

In a Teeker Krredmire,they'll Smooch with the "M" mag and shoot quite a bit better,than the attempt(s) above. Alpha LRP,'17,200's and magfed of course. 1913 rail,real glass and a real reticle. Hint.

3 shot groups suck anyway. He needs to shoot more than 5 and really see a "round" group. If not, keep trying until they are. Some people get it, some/most don't.. Also to answer the OP's question, I would have passed on that price ("$44.00/100") as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Karen,

I am VERY "surprised" that Geometry stumps you,though your Brokedick Vagina Monolgue is fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The only group this then NEW rifle has ever shot on paper. Pardon it being round. Though in fairness,I've not shot it since earlier today and still has yet to see as much as a patch. Alpha,'17,200's,147 magfed Smooch. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Sorry POA/POI aligning is arranged so easily for me,as you Lick Windows and talk out your ass and search a co-signer to buy a box of bullets,to Pretend to shoot. Hint.

Though it coulda' been a fhuqking "fluke"?!? Hint.

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". You couldn't knock the "new"off a used pair of boots. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,you poor poor(literally) CLUELESS Do Nothing Fhuqktard.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

3 shot groups suck anyway. He needs to shoot more than 5 and really see a "round" group. If not, keep trying until they are. Some people get it, some/most don't.. Also to answer the OP's question, I would have passed on that price ("$44.00/100") as well.

There are a lot of guys that put rounds WAY down range that can tell wtf is going on with a rifle without shooting 10 shot groups.

But it's cute that you need 10 rounds.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's never been difficult to savvy who shoots and who don't. Not that I don't get a fhuqking kick out of Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqks and their HILARIOUS Delusions. Hint....................(grin)

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some people get it, some/most don't..

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It's a hell of an accurate bullet in my 7.5 twist 6.5 Swede over H-1000 for 2960 fps, only hit two coyotes with it, one at 588, the other sitting beside a bush with 2 inches of neck and head visible at 302, center punched the side of head, it's a great little bullet.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's been eager to please in every one of several rifles I've tried it in.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

4 out of 6 rnds at 1 mile, 6.5 prc 147 eld-m 58 gr. Retumbo cci 250 when conditions are right they will get it done. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve only loaded with them in 2 rifles so far. Very accurate in both.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Rio,

Impressive! Good shooting!

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
I've stumbled on to a big pile of them at a somewhat regular price, $44/100. (They won't ship, I ask) A 2 hour drive to go back.

I was super impressed with the Horny 147gr in factory rolled ammo, and bought a few. Haven't worked on my own loads yet, but with the factory ammo I have been perfectly happy with 5-shot and 10-shot groups at 100.

More importantly, drop at 1300+ yards has matched the predictions well even with the ES from the factory loads.

Sample of one rifle, but I don't plan on switching bullets right now.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
It's a hell of an accurate bullet in my 7.5 twist 6.5 Swede over H-1000 for 2960 fps, only hit two coyotes with it, one at 588, the other sitting beside a bush with 2 inches of neck and head visible at 302, center punched the side of head, it's a great little bullet.

Told you you’d hate it grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 147's are all I shoot in the PRC's. Never had reason to even try anything else. Have 1000 supposed to be here friday, another 1000 on backorder and got 500 a couple months ago. I'll be good for a spell....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm getting worried because I've only got about 1300 left. Supply has dried up around here and I'm getting low!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got into some bad lots last year: at least I hope that is the deal, though some people have me wondering if it is my rifle instead. Shooting and loading is a chore for me that I kind of dread, so I haven't played around or looked for anything else for this rifle yet. I just switched to a different rifle for last season. I really want to like these things, and will try a few more lots when I can find some. I haven't exactly been looking too hard though.

Take this for what it is worth....2 separate lots, 8 twist at 2880 FPS so I'm not exactly running them past their design parameters. Everyone else seems to have much better results with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't dismiss that concern, T. I had some weird stuff happen at 1000+ yards with factory ammo, one time. And I don't have an explanation for it.

Good point, bringing it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still think you have a particularly rough throat, or something similar, that is hard on bullets.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I got into some bad lots last year: at least I hope that is the deal, though some people have me wondering if it is my rifle instead. Shooting and loading is a chore for me that I kind of dread, so I haven't played around or looked for anything else for this rifle yet. I just switched to a different rifle for last season. I really want to like these things, and will try a few more lots when I can find some. I haven't exactly been looking too hard though.

Take this for what it is worth....2 separate lots, 8 twist at 2880 FPS so I'm not exactly running them past their design parameters. Everyone else seems to have much better results with them.

Same rig that does weird stuff with VLDs?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, same rifle.
The AMAXs were fine through it and worked fine on a few elk. The barrel was throughly cleaned after the first 147s blew up, thinking that may have had something to do with it but they still were blowing up after the cleaning and with both lots of bullets.

I didn't play with the beger VLDs after the deep, copper cleaning though. Maybe I should.

Last edited by T_Inman; 06/09/21. Reason: Clarity

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Might be worth running a few Tubbs Final finish through it. It might smooth out the throat some if that is what causing it.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, same rifle.
The AMAXs were fine through it and worked fine on a few elk. The barrel was throughly cleaned after the first 147s blew up, thinking that may have had something to do with it but they still were blowing up after the cleaning and with both lots of bullets.

I didn't play with the beger VLDs after the deep, copper cleaning though. Maybe I should.

I agree with Jordan. Your barrel has something going on no doubt....

- Greg

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Damn Dude! We have some common DNA. I too dread reloading. Some people get off on it as a relaxing experience but its just drudgery to me. I do it because I like bug hole groups, not for a relaxing experience. I get too uptight worrying about every step. I've been reloading for 40 years and still can't relax while doing it.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/10/21.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard several reports of Hornady match bullets having jacket failures when driven hard out of hot, fast twist match rifle barrels. Probably the reason Berger target bullets have thicker jackets than their hunting versions...

I do like the old A-Maxes out of my 6.5-06 for Coues deer.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
I've heard several reports of Hornady match bullets having jacket failures when driven hard out of hot, fast twist match rifle barrels. Probably the reason Berger target bullets have thicker jackets than their hunting versions...

Yeah, T_Inman isn't the only one to report a problem. There's mention of it in different forums with various speculation as to actual cause. Might not be widespread, but I don't think it can be dismissed.

I believe some of my boxes of component bullets specified 8-twist. The newer boxes specify 8.5-twist. Not sure if it was a typo error, or Horny's attempt to help mitigate the issue with tight bores. I have no idea.

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Was all that necessary?

You forgot the fishing pole.in the pic.

Rub it in, you gottem, I don't .

LOL.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My experience hunting has been limited to one antelope doe. Specs are a 1-8" twist , 2965 fps muzzle velocity , range was 475 yds. This load will shoot .25" out of my gun. My concern came when I shot a wee high and back on this doe. She went right down so I was not concerned. When I got to her , I seen I had hit just at the spine, but a little lower in more meat than bone. The spine was not broken and I could see the bullet in the entrance wound. the jacket was all that was there and weighed 40 some grains. The thought of using it on game again has left me. I generally use 130gr JLK's or Bergers and will continue to use them instead..... after hearing about jacket failures , I will restrict the Hornadys to practice and such. They were cheaper and shoot great but 2-3" of penetration is not acceptable.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not good. Any chance the bullet impacted something before hitting the doe?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, GSSP took an elk, just shy of 1,000 yds, using a 6.5x47, with either a 127 or 129 grain.

My point is, IMHO, not much you can't do with a bullet around 130 grains in a 6.5. I am all for heavy for caliber bullets, when driven at a decent speed to get proper stability. It seems the 147s are hit or miss in smaller rounds. Barrel length, specs of bore and chamber leade, etc. all matter as does powder.

Some rifles may not marry well with 147s.........but there are many lighter bullets that will get the job done. As to jacket 'failure' and integrity.......things can and do happen. Murphy's law.

Good shooting and hunting!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
These three bullets are 147gr eld-m. One is from a caribou I shot at 405yds impact approx 2175fps. It was a slightly quartering away shot that went in just behind front shoulder and found it under the hide on the opposite side part way up the neck.

The other two were into a good sized mule deer buck at about 80 yds and approx 2560fps impact velocity. Both caught by the hide on the other side.

The two with higher impact velocity have less retained weight but lots of internal damage and both animals were quick kills.

https://i.imgur.com/GL5xugE.jpg

Last edited by mod7rem; 06/23/21.
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've been shooting steel & that's what this was about; a bullet worthy of claimed BC & not needing hockus pockus to get to shoot well.

Shooting match bullets at game & expecting, or experiencing this or that is just, well....sorry guys, bull chit.

If you have good results, ya lucked out. Bad results, exxxxpected. Really, don't ya think?

whistle

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not at all

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep expecting all these bad results, and am disappointed every damn time…..

Last edited by huntsman22; 06/23/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I've been shooting steel & that's what this was about; a bullet worthy of claimed BC & not needing hockus pockus to get to shoot well.

Shooting match bullets at game & expecting, or experiencing this or that is just, well....sorry guys, bull chit.

If you have good results, ya lucked out. Bad results, exxxxpected. Really, don't ya think?

whistle

If you really believe that then you're totally clueless on this subject.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

whistle

Stick to sitting in a deer stand in Kentucky...

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW

whistle

LMAO

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

whistle

I could choot deer while sitting on the chitter but there are still better/more dependable bullets for killin. But the truck seat is my preferred spot. grin

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I keep expecting all these bad results, and am disappointed every damn time…..

Was that Einstein that said doing the same thing over & over & expecting "different" results was the sign of insanity??

Never mind, didn't you get that tag when you rode bulls? cool

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider

whistle

If you really believe that then you're totally clueless on this subject.

Ignorant maybe, but clues abound. Sierra states Match bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications, & Hornady recommends target shooting only.

Several of you seem to have used them on game with acceptable results. But if they fail, it's on the user. Reports in this thread about failures. So, If I think ya done good, or lucked out with a match bullet on game, how am I clueless.

Tell me, I ask to learn, not to argue.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I've killed probably 50 feral hogs with the 147/6.5CM combo, running 2700 at the muzzle. Some exited, some didn't, and it killed the crap out of the hog which are much tougher than any deer. I'm not guessing like you are.

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've killed probably 50 feral hogs with the 147/6.5CM combo, running 2700 at the muzzle. Some exited, some didn't, and it killed the crap out of the hog which are much tougher than any deer. I'm not guessing like you are.

At this point I though it plain I'm asking, conceding I haven't done it . Why the macho chit you've done it ? No guessing here, full discloser here, asking, WTF is wrong with that?????????

Dammit man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not macho chit.... He's telling you he HAS done it. No guessing, and he disclosed fully. Why keep asking?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I could choot deer while sitting on the chitter but there are still better/more dependable bullets for killin. But the truck seat is my preferred spot. grin

Just saying, this doesn't sound like you're asking ..

- Greg

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Just saying, this doesn't sound like you're asking ..

Greg, I'll stand on my opinion that there are better bullets to kill with, but asking after a few took offense. The match bullets working for some, contrary to manufacturers recommendations.

There is also a post in thread of failures on game, in all this, dismiss that? OK

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
It's not macho chit.... He's telling you he HAS done it. No guessing, and he disclosed fully. Why keep asking?

"Why keep asking"

To try to address my opinion vs. hurt feelers for folks using match bullets to kill with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed quite a few things with the 147 ELD's and I plan on doing so again.

Just because Sierra Match Kings are unpredictable doesn't mean the Hornady's are.

The .224 75 ELD's and .244 105 Amax are impressive on game too for whatever that's worth.

140 grain .270 Bergers worked great too back when they were considered "tinfoil bullets".

Are the 139 Scenars recommended for game? LOL

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

"Why keep asking"

To try to address my opinion vs. hurt feelers for folks using match bullets to kill with.

Only a complete idiot has an opinion on something he's never owned or used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where is Trystan when you need him?

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

"Why keep asking"

Oh, now we've gone to name calling. Good job. Admitted to not using them, wanted to know if they were accurate, easy to work up a load for. Then I questioned there use on game & 50 hogs were offered. Hogs in pen? 100 yards? 500? your the final word on their performance? A 223 with FMJs would suffice in some of those situations, wouldn't they????? Owning them?? WTF? Yep, waiting for next welfare check to get me some.

Again, dammit man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the TKO numbers on a .223 FMJ again?

HA!

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Higginez
What's the TKO numbers on a .223 FMJ again?

HA!

What barrel length ? Vel. x bullet wt. x dia. Speed matters. Or not. If the pigs are in a pen.

Ha! Taylor knock out LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

whistle

If you are just shooting steel, then I'm having a hard time understanding why you are engaging in a discussion about the merits of a "match" bullet on animals, with people that have had positive experiences with that bullet on actual animals.

So you have a question about accuracy and precision, which is fine, then it devolves into the topic of whether said bullet is suitable for game?

So which is it? Target use, or game use? Or do you want to just argue, online?

If you want to argue, I'd say that you've got a few people that don't always agree on things, but they are in agreement stating that the bullet in question works fine on animals. Based on their experiences. Frankly, that says a lot to me. Is that definitive proof? Nope. But it's more than your statements, based on advertising or literature.

If you want to bring an argument against the bullet, the one that you started this thread about, what information can you share that shows that it is unsuitable for hunting animals?

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/24/21.
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
4th point, you've got a point.

But I initially just ask if the bullet was easy to load for & liked by various guns.

Then the thread turned to performance on game & I voiced my opinion on that. I didn't broach this in the beginning, so there is no "which is it" I voiced my opinion afterward. Then, the argument ensued, or I guess it wasn't an argument until I countered after the name calling. What can I say? Your comments are noted.

Literature info for sure. Advertising? Hardly. When a mfr,. recommends against sing something for this or that, it ain't advertising. Well, unless we consider it might be a plug for another product. Hornady makes M's &X's, some very close or exact in weight. Why? Just to add more part numbers or inventory?

I don't know. My reason for trying, to discuss all this.

Past bed time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

whistle

The 147ELD has performed very well for me on Elk and Mule Deer. Not to discount the 'failures', but they can be found on the Internet for almost any bullet. They are noted, but I'll keep hunting the 147 until myself or buds find them wanting.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm convinced guys, they seem to work just fine on game. That's great, & with good long range manners too.

Good point on any bullet failing from time to time. Some things still puzzling, but that ground's been plowed. I suppose I shall remain puzzled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Originally Posted by 4th_point
Not good. Any chance the bullet impacted something before hitting the doe?

Just air and open prairie from one high spot to another. , I bought these thinking the 8" exit holes from the bergers were a bit excessive. but I guess , that is minor compared to no penetration. I may mess with the 143 gr ELDX when I see a box , but the the JLKs and bergers still get first pick.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm convinced guys, they seem to work just fine on game. That's great, & with good long range manners too.

Good point on any bullet failing from time to time. Some things still puzzling, but that ground's been plowed. I suppose I shall remain puzzled.

For me personally, I like being able to load one bullet and use it for everything. Most of the bullets get shot at paper and steel for fun, so I want an accurate, high BC bullet that also performs good on game at my velocities. These 147 (& 140) eld-m’s are affordable enough and usually readily available, so I don’t have to worry about double loading and having different zeros and trajectories. The 147 and 140 meet all requirements. The largest animals I’ve used them on is Caribou.

Last edited by mod7rem; 06/26/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
147's do a number on hogs. Great for deer and antelope too.

Shot two cow elk with the 123 amax and quite a few deer. I wouldn't take a hard quartering away shot with the amax. Broad side. every day

"Why keep asking"

Last edited by ribka; 06/26/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow, interesting thread. Loading the Nosler 142 ABLR to 2750+ over R17 w/210M in the CM. Absolutely hammered a big deer but at less than 100 yds. Many groups cloverleaf. Supposed to expand to 1300 or so fps and is bonded so should hold together. If this is your cup of tea. Otherwise, you can't have your pudding if you don't eat your meat and YMMV.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Told you you’d hate it grin

LOL, those coyotes sure hated it, i may need to bring it along on a doe antelope and doe mule deer hunt in Wyo this fall, Bud put me in for a draw, i'll have two girls to haul back to the freezer.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It's difficult to understand how there are still people questioning the effectiveness of ELDM/Amax construction bullets for hunting in the face of decades of available evidence. They work and they work well. I have been using pretty much nothing else for over 10 years and well over 100 big game animals with zero failures. It doesn't matter what it is labelled, Match, whatever - they shoot well, have good external ballistics, are cheap, and kill things really really effectively very reliably. There is no debate to be had on the subject.

Last edited by PathFilmsNZ; 06/29/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
There is no debate to be had on the subject.

LOL

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
It's difficult to understand how there are still people questioning the effectiveness of ELDM/Amax construction bullets for hunting in the face of decades of available evidence. They work and they work well. I have been using pretty much nothing else for over 10 years and well over 100 big game animals with zero failures. It doesn't matter what it is labelled, Match, whatever - they shoot well, have good external ballistics, are cheap, and kill things really really effectively very reliably. There is no debate to be had on the subject.

Yet the horse is still beaten.

But, does Ribka's pig indicate proper hunting bullet performance? Just asking?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTF is 'proper'?..... dead is fugging dead.

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I ask, & didn't even offer my opinion. And that's all you got ? Dead is fugging dead. It is the final word I guess, so's a hand grenade.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
what's the BC on a hand grenade?

I finally got primers and 4350 powder so loading up a bunch of 123 amax for whitetails. Have a few doe tags

I ask, & didn't even offer my opinion. And that's all you got ? Dead is fugging dead. It is the final word I guess, so's a hand grenade.

Last edited by ribka; 06/30/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

This.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

You shoot from 50 to 500 yard or beyond, as the bullets shoots very accurately out of just about any rifle. I was shooting gongs at 400 yards the other day (longest target at my range) and it almost boring with eldms and because they shot so well.

Out west not uncommon to hunt in 40 mph winds and the high bc works well. High shoulder shot, Boom, they tip over. No pencil holing, no chasing or wondering if you hit them. They are reasonably priced, can use for year round banging gongs long distance, target shooting etc which obviously helps one be a better hunter

But shooting deer from a baited tree stand at 37 yards, a .22 lr solid to the head would suffice

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thank you ribka.

FWIW, I've hunted in the west, the Colorado Rockies 5 different years & Montana once. Shot prairie dogs, jacks & coyotes on the Co. Ne. border 5 or 6 seasons. Doesn't make me an expert at all, but I've seen what the weather can do & have managed to to conquer the distances at times.

Sitting in a tree like a buzzard, staring at a couple hundred bucks worth of corn isn't my thing, never hasn't been. But not saying there's anything wrong with it. 37 yards? my 6" 629 Smith with a Keith load. It, a 7.5 Redhawk, a 6.5" 29, & a 5.5" SBH have all been there, done that.

The hog kill with the blown out shoulder is great, DRT. But it would be kinda ugly on a nice meat doe. Two ways of looking at that I guess, a good bit of meat loss, or,,,,,,,,,,,,, the thing is anchored, secured & no chance of it running off. All depends on the objective.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a guy don't want meat loss, he don't shoot them in the meat..... This stuff is only as hard as you make it.

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Seems like I read this in a gun magazine some 30 or 40 years ago. thanks for reminding me.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
look at the eldm meat damage on this buck shot at around 275 yds

this antelope doe shot at 360 yds

my friend's buck

deer and antelope

antelope

doe at 500 yds in 40 mph winds. hence the low shot

antelope in 40 to 50 mph winds

I shot the hog running away at a sharp quartering away angle hence the extra damage

Thank you ribka.

FWIW, I've hunted in the west, the Colorado Rockies 5 different years & Montana once. Shot prairie dogs, jacks & coyotes on the Co. Ne. border 5 or 6 seasons. Doesn't make me an expert at all, but I've seen what the weather can do & have managed to to conquer the distances at times.

Sitting in a tree like a buzzard, staring at a couple hundred bucks worth of corn isn't my thing, never hasn't been. But not saying there's anything wrong with it. 37 yards? my 6" 629 Smith with a Keith load. It, a 7.5 Redhawk, a 6.5" 29, & a 5.5" SBH have all been there, done that.

The hog kill with the blown out shoulder is great, DRT. But it would be kinda ugly on a nice meat doe. Two ways of looking at that I guess, a good bit of meat loss, or,,,,,,,,,,,,, the thing is anchored, secured & no chance of it running off. All depends on the objective.

Last edited by ribka; 07/01/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
more horrific meat damage from eldm/eldx. occasionally they'll cause a bit more damage but accurate and lethal

Last edited by ribka; 07/01/21.
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well dang, no wonder some folks paying 60 -$70 a hunnert. A mistake on my part for not having a shelf full before all this crap. Other bases are covered, just one gap.

But wait, you say more horrific meat damage from ELDM/ELDX. The difference between the two was a part of my original questioning, & why Hornady chose to offer them both & rate them differently. ???

Now they're thrown together in this group of fine kills, it gets more confusing.

But yes, I've agreed, they do seem to kill well. And the horse is still dead.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice bucks ribka!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn! i'd love to see what my little Swede would do to doe antelope and mule deer with the 147gr ELDM's, but, old bud that invited me out has a pre-64 264 Win Mag, so do i, mine runs the 160gr Woodleigh PP Weldcores at 3000 fps, decisions, decisions, maybe i could just use one on each? cool

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Damn! i'd love to see what my little Swede would do to doe antelope and mule deer with the 147gr ELDM's, but, old bud that invited me out has a pre-64 264 Win Mag, so do i, mine runs the 160gr Woodleigh PP Weldcores at 3000 fps, decisions, decisions, maybe i could just use one on each? cool

Ive loaded a few dozen for a cz 550 in swede I have. shot as expected

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ribka

Ive loaded a few dozen for a cz 550 in swede I have. shot as expected

Thanks ribka!

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.