Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Few years back I acquired a sporterized K98 Mauser. It is Bishop stocked with a heavy contour 30-06 barrel. Has a Jaegar single lever side mount and a Redfield peep. All in all well put together and with the older K4 Weaver is a good shooter. Came across mention of another person looking for the identity of the maker of his rifle that was marked the same as mine. That being: SCOTTY Surrey ND. Made some calls to area gunshops close to Surrey in hopes someone might remember who "Scotty" was. Struck out with most likely lead an older Gunsmith that had passed on recently. Any info would be appreciated.
Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Joe,

Evidently, Scotty passed away in 2011, having had his gunsmithing shop from 1945-56 (see the link below). Your rifle sounds like a nice one and I'm sure Scotty would be content knowing you're enjoying it.

Tony

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-134740.html

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Tony,

I really appreciate this information. Now the loop is closed so to speak. He sounds like someone that would have been a pleasure to know. Already knew that he was an excellent craftsman by this example of his work. It`s been hunted but not abused. Believe that I bought it from a post on MilSurpsforum. At the time I had suffered the loss of my son,Scotty so even though I owned many mauser sporters and 30-06 rifles I added this one. No information about it came with it and I had always wondered. I`ll take some photos of it and post in the Image library and direct link to you. May do a light restoration of it in the future and stock refinish and checkering. Projects stacked up on the bench now so maybe winter after hunting season over. Also with that heavy barrel it would be prime for a JES rebore to 35 Whelen. Regardless I am glad to own it and has gotten some use taking a nice six point couple years back. Of course I think of my Scotty when I carry it afield.

Thanks again and good shooting,
Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 338rcm, 10Glocks, 44mc, 17 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,455
Posts18,507,979
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.