Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16156654 06/09/21
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Been playing the, "Would that really be better...?" game again.

Interested in putting together a Tikka T3 or T3x in 7mm. KISS indicates using the factory LA mags. Already have .260 Rem and .308, so this would be about a little more thump for rare times needed in close and slinging the heavies way out there.

Tikka has ~3.34 mag length. I'm wondering whether that's a limitation on what can be achieved with long, skinny bullets in the 7RM, vs. a .284 Win loaded long in the same magazines. Obviously, a 7RM is a COTS package, and factory-loaded ammo should be universally available if needed, once things get back to normal. That's yuge for a hunting rifle.

A .284 would have a little longer barrel life, give up ~100-130 fps with most bullets, but have more expensive, less-available brass and require a custom barrel. And pretty much require loading every round myself, whether I want to or not. Much loonier project, but it would be elegant.

I guess the simplest way of asking the question is, would I be giving up enough by restricting the 7RM to the Tikka mag length that it would be worth considering something more complicated and expensive, with a little less boiler room? Or would it be all anyone needs to run and ELD-X 162gr or similar and let the higher MV make up for lower BC versus 175s, etc.?

With the greater case volume, it probably doesn't hurt much to stuff the long bullets down in there if that's what it takes to fit them in the magazine, as long as they're still full diameter at the case mouth, but would there be a reason to?

Corollary question: If I'd be hesitant to take a shot beyond 400 yards, is either one warranted to even think about when I have a perfectly good .308 for bigger stuff and a .260 for smaller stuff? I'm not sure what a 165 or 180 Fusion in the .308 couldn't get done inside 200 yards in the 48 states. And I can load both of them as long as needed in Tikka LA mags.

Thoughts?

HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just my thought, but a 284 on the Tikka with the correct twist would be a very good package. While a bit more work than a Tikka 7 Rem, they run a 9.5 twist and aren’t really the bees knees with the true heavies and I’d bet if you ran the 7 Rem with 162’s against the 284 with 175/180’s it wouldn’t take too far down range for the 284 to catch up and maintain the edge.

Just my opinion.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd build a 280 ai before even considering a 7mm rem mag.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OLJ

This was posted here under Tikka T 3X magazine length for someone else.
Here is the Tikka mag 'internal lengths'.

[quote=jwall][quote=jwall]

Here are 3 Tikka Mags. L for T3 Lite 270 (3 rd) > C for T3 Lite 270 (5 rd) > R for T3X 7 RM ( 3 rd) I purchased in 2018.

All loaded with 7 RM rounds:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

----------------------------------------------

You can see these rounds are loaded to the MAX oal for Tikka T3 & T3X magazines.

That is 3.285"

Maybe this will be of benefit.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have spent the last few months working up a load for a friends 7mm Mag Tikka T3X, I have worked on a few Tikka's the last couple of years and they all have one thing in common............they seem to shoot slow for some reason. The best load I came up with shot a 160gr Accubond at 2815fps..........to me that's not a magnum.

If putting a new barrel on I would probably opt for a 280AI

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
A couple people have suggested .280AI over .284 Win. Why the preference?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For me, if I planned to use the heavier Bullets I’d rather have the flexibility to seat the bullet in the case without having to seat deeply and still have the ability to work around the lands. So a 284 would work better for what I’d like. You might not care about the long heavies.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have spent the last few months working up a load for a friends 7mm Mag Tikka T3X, I have worked on a few Tikka's the last couple of years and they all have one thing in common............they seem to shoot slow for some reason. The best load I came up with shot a 160gr Accubond at 2815fps..........to me that's not a magnum.

You must be using the wrong powder. Retumbo, RL22, RL26 will easily get you 3000fps through a Tikka tube.

Try getting that velocity out of a 280AI/160gr combo and see how that works out. In fact, Retumbo will get you 3100.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

b a

My T 3X 7 RM is 100 or so fps slower than my Rem 700s,
However.. the Tikka has a longer throat than the mag allows the bullets to be seated.

I have not tried to add a little powder to see if you can match the velocity.... but that has been advocated here on the 'fire'
that it can be done.

ATST - my T3 Lite SS 270 is NOT slow. 130s @ 3100 +

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I get right close to 3k with 162 eldx out of my stainless T3 in 7mm Rem Magnum, 69.0 grains Reloader 26.

Had elk bacon cheeseburgers last night, as a matter of fact, thanks to my Finnish marvel.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Been loading 162 eldx & 160 hotcores for sako a7 rtp & buddies tikka t3 in 7mm rm. Loaded up to 69g Imr 7828, backed off to 68g. Very accurate & definitely moving way passed 2815fps! Eldx are at 3.365 oal & fit tikka mag just fine.I had to trim sako clip to clear eldx tip. I have original mod 88 in 284 which restricts powder volume & bullet selection. Smith is rebarreling & clambering a win mod70 fwt 30-06 to 284 1:9 to launch 150-162 eldx. I sent 3 284 win brass loadedwith 162 eldx(no powder of course) 3.250 oal if I remember correctly. Will be workin on loads shortly I hope.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You must be using the wrong powder. Retumbo, RL22, RL26 will easily get you 3000fps through a Tikka tube.

Try getting that velocity out of a 280AI/160gr combo and see how that works out. In fact, Retumbo will get you 3100.

I tried RL22,25 and 26 and several other powders, I could get 3000fps but with marginal accuracy. The best load accuracy wise was 66gr IMR7828. that same load in my Sako AV is over 3000fps

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
b a

The SAME loads in my 700s are faster BECAUSE the Tikka has a longer throat. There is room or more gas.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I spent some time last night playing with load data and a ballistic calculator. Concluded that if I decide in the future I should have something longer-legged than the .308 and .260, that Goldilocks will almost certainly be a .270 Win, not any flavor of 7mm. Which is almost funny to me, as I've never really looked seriously at it before.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
I spent some time last night playing with load data and a ballistic calculator. Concluded that if I decide in the future I should have something longer-legged than the .308 and .260, that Goldilocks will almost certainly be a .270 Win, not any flavor of 7mm. Which is almost funny to me, as I've never really looked seriously at it before.

Now you are coming to your senses.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
First. I don't need the l o n g sleek bullets so it's not a problem to me.

OTOH - if you don't think a 7 RM will shoot FASTER -- Flatter -- and Hit Harder than the 270...... you don't know as much as
you think you do. Come to think of it, that's not new.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

JB did a piece where he compared the .270 stoked with RL26 and a pointy 150gr (ABLR, I think) and a 6.5 you-know-what with a pointy something-or-other. The .270 beat it on drop, drift, and energy out to 500 yards. No doubt it kicks harder. When I hunt with one, it’s usually with 160gr NPs at maybe 2700 or so. Those have dumped about half a dozen deer right damn there (RDT) for me and my son, mostly him. Not much use for long legs around here, but RDT is always a good thing.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by jwall
OTOH - if you don't think a 7 RM will shoot FASTER -- Flatter -- and Hit Harder than the 270...

A person would have to be stupid to think that. Nothing I wrote implies that I think that. My invocation of "Goldilocks" explicitly points to the fact that I was including other factors when considering what would be best for me and my expected uses.

Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06/11/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OTOH - if you don't think a 7 RM will shoot FASTER -- Flatter -- and Hit Harder than the 270...

A person would have to be stupid to think that. Nothing I wrote implies that I think that. My invocation of "Goldilocks" explicitly points to the fact that I was including other factors when considering what would be best for me and my expected uses.

I agree, a person would have to be damn stupid to think that. But there aren't any flys on the 270 winchester. Its been around for a long time and has proven itself. Not a bad choice in my book.

OlongJohnson, a little story to share: A new member to the range here locally has been messing around with his fancy Christensen Arms 7mm rem mag in chassis stock system. He's been running some pretty slick bullets with high bc, hoping to find something to shoot long range with. Well, he's struggling with it, even though he's using top notch reloading equipment and components and chrono. I have been seeing him a lot at the range (usually on Fridays). After watching him for about 4 range sessions I told myself I'd bring my Tikka CTR in for him to see what a real rifle can do. Sure as chidt, he was there and I had my CTR. I let him shoot it and he shoots well enough. 1/2" 3 shot group. He only shoots 3 to 4 shot groups to conserve ammo and components. Anyway, he tells me he has a Tikka Superlite chambered for 270 win. He said its his "hunting" rifle and its new to him and has less than 100 rounds on it. I told him to bring it to the range next time. Well he brought it and the funny thing is he was shooting better groups with it than he was his 7mm rem mag. I suggested he try some LRX or TTSX in his "hunting" rifle, so that's what he loaded up. That Tikka 270 win was shooting sub moa 5 shot groups and it's a lightweight hunting rifle. That new member says he loves the slick action on the Tikka and the accuracy he gets with it. I told him he should have bought a CTR instead of the expensive Christensen Arms. He agreed. In my experience the 7mm rem mag is finicky to load. I've seen some pretty erratic velocity fluctuations with it. I have had some that were very accurate, but still finicky and I don't like finicky rifles or cartridges. Furthermore, If I were wanting a 7mm magnum, I'd be looking at the 7WSM. Good luck with what you choose. Regardless of what cartridge you pick, you are wise in your decision to buy a Tikka. They are generally very accurate rifles.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

OLJ

I didn't post that in reference to you. Sorry that you thot so.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/11/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (17CalFan, 204guy, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 67 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,960
Posts18,499,168
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.