Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by OldHat
These western rattlers look very much like bull snakes. We have lots of bulls, too. They're harmless but seem like they're more belligerent than the rattlers. They vary in color but most I've seen here look something like this.

[Linked Image from inherpatlas.org]

I suspect most people kill every snake they see and don't worry too much about identifying them.
Snakes eat a lot of rodents that do much more damage than the snakes do.

That's a fact Jack!
I mean Chuck!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Now that I think about it mice, spiders and snakes seem to freak people out.

Rats that's the rodent I hate.

Don't forget bats.

Rats used to be common pets with girls.
Tarantulas are common pets in western Europe.

When I taught a class on bats, the good Lord delivered one to me. I displayed it behind glass and released it after the series along with a bat box.

Oh, ya, bats!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Never known one to rattle until it's shot, or a rock busts it's head. These nature programs that say they rattle as a warning are false in my own experience.

Years ago I hiked many, many miles through the AZ desert and Chaparral. I did run into a few. They rattled, but I was way to close for comfort before they did. Scared the crap out of me.

It seemed in the AZ heat they would hide much of the day.

Did you notice any in the brush? I mean up in the brush and not on the ground. Seems like they'd get up on the brush go get away from the heat next to the ground. I saw quite a few that did that in the hottest part of summer. Hikes were short during that time. Two canteens. When the first was empty, it was time to head back to the vehicle where more water was at hand.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that I think about it mice, spiders and snakes seem to freak people out.

Rats that's the rodent I hate.

Don't forget bats.

Rats used to be common pets with girls.
Tarantulas are common pets in western Europe.

When I taught a class on bats, the good Lord delivered one to me. I displayed it behind glass and released it after the series along with a bat box.

Oh, ya, bats!

Most of us are creeped out by something.
If I found a wild rat, I'd probably do a double take too.
When my Dad was a boy, the rats used to travel through the sewage plumbing. There were reports of bathroom experiences when all of a sudden one would come out of the commode. Talk about surprise. Yikes!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Never known one to rattle until it's shot, or a rock busts it's head. These nature programs that say they rattle as a warning are false in my own experience.

Years ago I hiked many, many miles through the AZ desert and Chaparral. I did run into a few. They rattled, but I was way to close for comfort before they did. Scared the crap out of me.

It seemed in the AZ heat they would hide much of the day.

Did you notice any in the brush? I mean up in the brush and not on the ground. Seems like they'd get up on the brush go get away from the heat next to the ground. I saw quite a few that did that in the hottest part of summer. Hikes were short during that time. Two canteens. When the first was empty, it was time to head back to the vehicle where more water was at hand.
Paul B.

Never did.

I had a very close call on a summer hike in the Rincons right out of Tucson. I hiked up the back side (away from the city). I had 5 quarts of water. By the time I got back to the truck I was in very bad shape! My face was numb. Strange. I think my electrolytes were out of whack.

IC B2

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Bears have been known to kill people. Wolves too. And big cats. And dogs. Skunks, coons, armadillos carry nasty, sometimes deadly diseases. Mad cow disease, tick- carried diseases, rats, prairie dogs.... etc.

Let's kill every one of the bastards, by golly, until only we and plants (some of those are suspect too!) are left. Just so no one will ever have any kind of those kinds of problems again.

Jeeze, you guys!

Keep in mind we have plenty of people and dogs in the world - one here and there snake bitten isn't going to make any more difference than killing a snake for the sake of irrational fear and ignorance, because you can.

Me and mine excepted of course. smile

Last edited by las; 06/10/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If it's dull looking, has a triangular head it's pretty much a dead snake. All y'all snake lovers can kiss my chicken azz, I'm killing every poisonous snake that I come across.
Fact is, once it's dead it's not going to bite anyone or anything.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
If it's dull looking, has a triangular head it's pretty much a dead snake. All y'all snake lovers can kiss my chicken azz, I'm killing every poisonous snake that I come across.

I'm with Grit on this one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I think rattlers are neat, but antivenom is like 18 grand. I had snake gaiters on once, and they worked. But the SOB bit "me" above the boot line and I was four miles on foot -- so I kill every rattler I'm aware of.

Years ago when moving our pup was bitten by a rattlesnake in New Mexico at a rest stop. Took her to a vet in Santa Rosa and he had me go to the pharmacy for 3 vials of anti-venom. $15 a vial at that time. Saved the pup's life.

Some species of rattlesnake are protected here.

thinking back, i know of one guy minus an arm due to a diamondback, another a leg due to a diamondback, i have come close to being bit a number of times, and lost a golden retriever due to a snakebite.
I shoot, bludgen, cut, whatever every venomous snake i come across.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
There's only 2 kinds of snakes, if it dosen't rattle, it's a cobra.

(I don't like snakes}

Snakes do bother a lot of people. Spiders seem to bring about the same response.

Don't like spiders either, but I'm much more comfortable stomping one with my boot.

laugh

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I’ve killed a lot of rattlesnakes. And will continue to. I care not one lick who it triggers. Like shooting gophers. Some panties get wadded over that too.

You mean ground squirrel?

This is a Gopher. I lot of western sharp shooters seem to confuse the two.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher

Lots of people don’t give a fugk what the Audubon society calls them and use common parlance when discussing local fauna.
Years ago when I was in the Nat Guard, we had a battalion from the south, maybe GA or SC but I don't remember, come here to so. Idaho for training. There were ground squirrels everywhere. They started calling them Go Downs 'cause ever time ya see one, it's a goin' down. The name stuck and for some years everyone in the Guard called them Go Downs.
That said, gopher isn't correct but it's commonly used.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No, but you can bite it.
I hear that they are good eatin.
The hides aren't bad looking either.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

No, but you can bite it.

Timber Rattler Skin suspenders would be Uber

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I think rattlers are neat, but antivenom is like 18 grand. I had snake gaiters on once, and they worked. But the SOB bit "me" above the boot line and I was four miles on foot -- so I kill every rattler I'm aware of.

Years ago when moving our pup was bitten by a rattlesnake in New Mexico at a rest stop. Took her to a vet in Santa Rosa and he had me go to the pharmacy for 3 vials of anti-venom. $15 a vial at that time. Saved the pup's life.

Some species of rattlesnake are protected here.

thinking back, i know of one guy minus an arm due to a diamondback, another a leg due to a diamondback, i have come close to being bit a number of times, and lost a golden retriever due to a snakebite.
I shoot, bludgen, cut, whatever every venomous snake i come across.

I understand where you are coming from. I don't blame you. Just realize that if it's in striking distance, your chances of getting bit too, go way up when you take a stick to one.
If it's not in striking distance, you Normally have to get that close with a useful stick. They are quicker than us.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobBrown

No, but you can bite it.

Sure would.
Timber Rattler Skin suspenders would be Uber

My preacher buddy wasn't a Pentecostal snake handler, but he enjoyed catching them. We'd go hunting and he'd wear his hatband with rattler band and belt.
Holsters with snakeskin are premium too.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/10/21.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I had a thread that might be remembered as the bigchickenpussybaby thread. And my first snake kill during my first prairie dog shoot was a bull snake.

Oh well, it was good practice & pistol shotshell testing for the prairie rattlers that followed.

Ded snake not even a good one in my book. I ask that buds remove the carcass from the area so's I don't pee my pants later in the day.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

No, but you can bite it.
I've eaten some. It was ok but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. It would make a good survival food. They say it tastes like chicken but I'd say more like fish. It's white and flaky.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
An old single shot 2 gauge was clipped to the light bar of the International H
Dang, you got serious about your snakes. This is a 2 gauge, called a punt gun. I've read that they'd pour a full pound of black powder down the hole.

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Fixed it just for you grin

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Killed lots of rattlers, in my time. If it's venomous - it dies.
Some rattle and some don't.
Bull snakes, red racers, garter snakes, and all others get a pass.
I've lost a calf, a yearling steer, and had 2 horses hurt bad by rattlers, so would drive 10 miles out of my way to kill one.
We have a lot of prairie rattlers, and a few western diamondbacks.
If I get involved, I try my damndest to reduce the venomous population.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...and a real badass.
I ran across this little guy this morning when I was on a training hike with my llamas. He was about 3' long at the most. He sure tried to play big and mean, though. He didn't rattle but 2 out of 3 of these that I've seen don't rattle. It's a Western rattler, a subspecies of the Prairie or Great Plaines rattler.
My phone doesn't take very clear photos so it's a tad blurry.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

looks like a Western, but I never saw one in Arizona with a coontail. without the coontail we would call that a "great basin" around here.

we have diamondbacks and mojaves with coontails in Arizona.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.