Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m glad mine is frozen, over 65

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco

Same here . . . at least theoretically.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I wonder if I can appeal my valuation because bark beetles are infesting the trees in and around my yard. Them dead/dying trees are OOOgly!

They will probably raise it tho, because of increased "wildlife use" and firewood.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine is up about 18% this year. More painful yet is the homeowner's insurance, up several hundred dollars.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco

Taxes are froze

but not the value, so they just keep raising the value.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The assessor came and walked around my house a number of years ago. Had one of those crappy metal sheds on a slab that I had gotten rid of. He says " It says on the sheet that you have a storage shed" I told him I got rid of that piece of crap. He says " Oh now you have a patio.'' Guess which assessed higher? LOL

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They need more money for the freeloaders

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just got another newer assement today on the rental house. It's much worse than the estimate they sent a few months back. It went from $118,000 to $211,000 in one year. We bought the house a few years back for $123,000. The first years they valued it about $110,000. With a 1.7% tax levy our taxes ran about $1800 a year or $150 a month. Our home owners insurance was $320 a year and now it's $700.

Now our tax will be $300 a month and insurance is $70 a month on a house we just raised rent to $1200. After just those 2 expenses we bring in $840 a month now and then there's always maintenance and repairs. I'm trying to convince my wife we should sell it and take the $200,000 plus we'd get from it and do hard money loans. At 10% that's over $20,000 a year compared to the less than $10,000 we're netting on the rental. Property tax alone eats 25% of our rent now.

If we sell it we will get nailed on capital gains and recaptured income and depreciation. It doesn't make sense to have rentals now. Maybe if your highly leveraged into them and only using a but of your own money down. If they're paid off I think your equity could earn more elsewhere and you don't have to deal with renters.

Bb

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Home/property values around here are going up dramatically because people from the Communist states (mainly California and New York) are buying homes (not mansions) at $500,000 to $1,000,000 over the asking prices.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by victoro
Home/property values around here are going up dramatically because people from the Communist states (mainly California and New York) are buying homes (not mansions) at $500,000 to $1,000,000 over the asking prices.

Your property taxes, and everything else is going up because the fuggin' country was shut down for over a year because of the Wuhan flu.

There's no tax $$ coming in when everything is closed.

They'll tell you a hundred different answers as to why taxes are going up, but the above is the gospel.

They are looking under rocks for more money now. They'll find it, too. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’m homesteaded in Florida.$50,000 deduction of value and value increases capped at 3% annually or the core inflation rate. Whichever is lower. Rentals are open market value. Florida is great except for the all the GD Yankees ! Most of the Yankees local to me just left the local RV park to fly north until fall. Thank god ! I was sooo sick of listening to them at my local Gook food joint.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sigh, hard to complain about making more in real estate appreciation in a year than wages..... but appreciate the reminder about reviewing home owner insurance. It'll cost a few bucks, but a drop in the proverbial bucket.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Up 25% from last year. The county is loving this inflation.
My rental house in Rexburg was raised 55% this year. They accidentally sent me an assessment for a very similar sized house that only went up 15%. I had complained in person to the assessor last year because I was paying more tax on a house I rent for $1200 than the big student housing complexes are paying on an apartment they rent to 6 students for $450 per student or $2700 a month.

I guess the assessor showed me. I'm going to go in and look at the assessments on the same street as my rental. Ten years ago they had my primary home there valued at $87/ foot and every other house in the neighborhood valued at $40-$48 per foot. When I brought it up they said they were going to call all my neighbors and tell them I was trying to get their taxes raised.

Rigby is much better and more fair tax wise than Rexburg. I pay less tax on my 5200 square foot 4 car garage new home in Rigby than I do a 1700 square foot 2 car 23 year old rental in Rexburg. That's after the $100,000 home owners exemption in Rigby but my primary there is worth almost 3 times what my rental is.

Bb
I will never let them in my homes. Haven’t yet. They can measure outside the square footage etc but they have zero right to come inside my home. Guess all they want if I have gold on my walls or bear skins.

Osky
Not seeing where entering his home was mentioned. In fact, I have never heard of this practice.

If not chased off, here the assessor will ask if they can come in and look around.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've never had one do that, Mike. But then I've only met one assessor at home in the 40 years I've lived here. Must be doing something right!

I have seen "unfinished" (Typex up, but no siding) go that way for a decade or more. The two I have been in were really, really nice inside. As in tricked out FINISHED!

Taxes on "unfinished" are less, but I wonder what it did to their heating bill.

Say, I bet typex could be installed OVER the siding? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many of you actually get reassessed every year or few?

That boggles my mind.
Ours was redone about 10 years ago. The first time since 1955.
Anytime you got a building permit, or someone reported that you built
something, they came out. Otherwise existing properties were left alone.

Reassess was only done then because the Wal-Mart warehouse refused to
pay their taxes and filed a lawsuit based on fairness. Their building was 10 years old, other properties hadn't been assessed in 50 years.

Doing it cost million$!

Talk about a 2 year [bleep] storm! All these people with older homes. All kind of
improvements done without permits including big additions and outbuildings!
They hadn't been paying there share for decades. Newer homes and those who had gotten permits for improbpvements had been carrying them.
State law makes reassessment revenue neutral. So once countywide value is established, the millage was adjusted to accomadate. Living in a newer house, we got a tax break.

Funniest part of the whole thing was hearing people talk about property values. Just a few years before, the brag talk was about equity and how much their homes were worth. As reassessment was going on, I must have heard 20 people say, "They say it's worth $XXXX, I'll sell it to them for that!".

Often, $XXXX is what they themselves had recently claimed it was worth.

Large, undeveloped pieces were the ones that got hit hard for taxes.
But we have a state program called Clean and Green. Putting property
in it requires not developing, in return, you get a huge tax break. You can pull it back out, but can't develop it for
around 8 years. If you decide to develop, you have to pay around 8 years back taxes. Its a good deal. That I have issues with. Our family property got hit
hard, and we took advantage of the deal. But it's not right,in my opinion.
Why should biger acreage get a break, when you are hitting homes so hard?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Texas was bad. We lived in Williamson County at the time. Taxes went from $2500 to about $8000 in twelve years (approximates).

One dude I now in the hood had a stroke and was disabled, his taxes were frozen too, as when you turn 65.

Valuations go up, the city’s and county’s projects, salaries, pork projects need funding....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Up 25% from last year. The county is loving this inflation.

My rental house in Rexburg was raised 55% this year. They accidentally sent me an assessment for a very similar sized house that only went up 15%. I had complained in person to the assessor last year because I was paying more tax on a house I rent for $1200 than the big student housing complexes are paying on an apartment they rent to 6 students for $450 per student or $2700 a month.

I guess the assessor showed me. I'm going to go in and look at the assessments on the same street as my rental. Ten years ago they had my primary home there valued at $87/ foot and every other house in the neighborhood valued at $40-$48 per foot. When I brought it up they said they were going to call all my neighbors and tell them I was trying to get their taxes raised.

Rigby is much better and more fair tax wise than Rexburg. I pay less tax on my 5200 square foot 4 car garage new home in Rigby than I do a 1700 square foot 2 car 23 year old rental in Rexburg. That's after the $100,000 home owners exemption in Rigby but my primary there is worth almost 3 times what my rental is.

Bb

I will never let them in my homes. Haven’t yet. They can measure outside the square footage etc but they have zero right to come inside my home. Guess all they want if I have gold on my walls or bear skins.

Osky

Not seeing where entering his home was mentioned. In fact, I have never heard of this practice.

They certainly don't need to enter your home(s) here to raise your taxes.

I thought it had gotten bad last year when I said the property taxes I was paying on my house + rentals was enough to house, feed and clothe a family of 4. Now, they'd be styling in new Escalades with country club memberships! WTH? Geebus.

Whoever said we needed to start by throwing the local bums out was dead on.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My assessment went up by 25%. I contested it and offered to sell the property to any of them with a $10,000 discount. Now, after the settlement, my 2021 taxes will be lower than my 2020. Don't guess anyone was willing to buy at my offer. smile

Jim

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 10 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,897
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.