Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] I never was editor of Rifle. You're probably thinking of Successful Hunter.
[/quote]

You of course are right. Phil had a column in it and Brian Pearce wrote what he wanted. It was great.[/quote]

Yep!

I never really wanted to be a magazine editor, but ended up doing it three times. Was pretty successful at all three jobs, partly because I learned a lot from various editors I wrote for. One was Robert Creamer, the editor of Sports Illustrated, who bought a few of my articles in the 1970s, when SI still ran quite a few hunting and fishing stuff. Bob once said that the secret to being a successful magazine editor was finding good writers. And he was right.

Jack O'Connor wrote, I believe in The Last Book, that unless an editor has a feel for what readers want to read, he'll never be really successful. In my experience that's also a major factor. Quite a few head editors get the job because they spent years as an assistant editor, and for some reason never really got a feel for what the readers wanted. One I remember well was exactly that, a guy who ended up editing two highly successful magazines (at the time), and then never recognizing what he needed to do as the older (and very good) staff writers started to retire. He picked replacements that were a lot like him, guys who'd worked in the business for a long time but never gained any major following. They wrote competent but unexciting articles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
I feel it is getting much thinner and they are having a hard time finding items to write about. The past year it is hard to find an issue that one, maybe two articles are interesting ! I find Handloader better but they seem to be struggling to find interesting things to write about also ! I dumped HUNTER magazine years ago for the same reasons and RIFLE is following soon !

I am a Life member of the NRA but the magazine AMERICAN RIFLEMAN disgusts me ! It is almost all about black rifle and Defence hand guns plus adds on almost every page. What image is that for the Non gun folk crowd to see when they pick up a magazine and look through it ? Makes us all look like NUTS ! There is very little about hunting, hunting guns and the outdoors like it was years ago.

Times change but it shouldn't always be for the worst !

Hip

I'm a Life member and I took American Hunter magazine instead of the American Rifleman. It has hunting articles and articles on hunting rifles. Switch magazines.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,701
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.