Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some Fine Eating, those walleyes and Crappies. Keep the pics coming! I did catch a 12" bass today and one gill.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kid, your son will be talking about these times when he is an old man. You should be proud of the job you and your wife are doing raising your kids.
Heck, I don’t even know you and I am.

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I appreciate the compliment 336. We try our best.

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
We got a wild hair and made a run to the river this evening after supper. Stopped at a little creek on the way up and caught a few perch for bait, no idea what species this rascal was but he was beautiful. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We started by busting a mob of pigs out of the willows on the trek down to our fishing spot. Carrying a bait bucket, knife, lantern, and a 10’ rod meant no rifle but I let the squeal out of one with a 200gr wadcutter out of my 5” 625 and then it was on down the riverbank to wet a line.

Hot, muggy, and buggy but we didn’t have to wait very long for some action. 4” live perch on an 8/0 Octopus hook was the undoing for this old flathead. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I wasn’t sure the little Penn Mag10 was going to have the drag to keep it out of the logjam but it worked out after a good 5 minute battle. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We had to have the talk again about letting the big ones go so we’ll always have more, the boy wants to eat every big one we catch. In the end he understood and we released her none worse for the wear after a few pics. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We figured we weren’t likely to top that and it was just about full dark so we called it an evening and marched the half a mile back to the truck with smiles on our faces.

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
And a few more pictures from the last week or two.
Limit of Saugeye with a couple sandbass for good measure [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Momma with a magnum perch
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Pretty good “eye” [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
He got this one all by himself picked out the perfect worm and everything, he was pretty proud. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Every time we go to the sporting goods store he’s got to pick out a new lure. Always either a top water plug or a moss frog. This was the first run with his newest moss frog out at the bass pond. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka

Nice sandy. Trolling, throwing crank baits?

Originally Posted by TheKid
Time again for my annual fishing report. Been a weird year with a late spring for us and cool water temps. But hey, work sucks and I hate mowing the grass so we’re fishing.

An unusually cold week in February killed a bunch of our shad making bait tough to come by. We have a pond that’s plumb full of little 3” perch though so plan B isn’t a problem. Been catching a few catfish and the bite is getting better every day. Nothing big yet but the big girls have to eat and they’ll be going into overdrive soon in preparation for the spawn. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The trolling is a conflict for me, the boy loves to ride in the boat and run the motor but it coincides with the best catfishing. The best plan is to troll when it’s nice and catfish when it’s blowing. Or on weekends troll early, nap, and catfish until 1am or so. Hard to pass up a bucketful of saugeye, not much that swims in freshwater that’s better tablefare. We killed it last night dragging plugs, a bunch of nice eyes plus a bonus of decent crappie and a couple big sandies. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

More to come....

What are you folks calling "sandies"?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sandbass or white bass Geno. They’re like mini stripers, super aggressive and fight like dammit but they aren’t the best eating fish we have around.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn common names.

I'm a fish head and those back east ones through me every time.

Never caught one, but if they're as tasty as their cousins the stripers, they're some good eatin'\, no? Maybe not as good as those saugeyes, but better than others I bet.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Damn common names.

I'm a fish head and those back east ones through me every time.

Never caught one, but if they're as tasty as their cousins the stripers, they're some good eatin'\, no? Maybe not as good as those saugeyes, but better than others I bet.
White Bass or Sand Bass as they're called down south, aren't very good eatin'. As Kid or somebody said, you got to get the red out of the meat to make them edible. As he says, they're like mini versions of Striped Bass. In fact, Striped Bass and White Bass crossed are called "Wipers" and are probably more aggressive than their parents. They will spool you quick.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We call them Silver bass up here, not bad , but like you said, have to take the red strip off the meat. Maybe I need your son to pick out some lures for me!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Same with stripers and many other fish. Get that red meat out and it's not bad eating.

But then again, I eat mackerel and barracuda and eel and................................

I knew about wipers but had never heard the white bass called "sand bass". We have a sand bass off the coast of SoCal that is pretty good eating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barred_sand_bass

In it is contentment

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (16penny, 11point, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,012 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.