Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pat85
I sold a 629 Lew Horton snub 44 and bought one of those to replace it.

Well that was dumb.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave

Well that was dumb.

LOL

I know.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Well that was dumb.

LOL

I know.

Fer shame.

Fer shame!

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I sold the Lew in elk camp. I wanted to take it home and still buy one of these but he paid me over double what I paid for it. I have this over 10 years, ,don't think I ever shot it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The 396 is not an easy one to find.

And it probably is one of the coolest .44 Specials ever built.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What are you running for a woods load in that Flave? I'm betting it's 624/Colt SA hunting loads won't hurt it.

Last edited by SargeMO; 06/13/21.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SargeMO

What are you running for a woods load in that Flave? I'm betting it's 624/Colt SA hunting loads won't hurt it.

Skeeter’s load or equivalent.

That’s pretty much all I use in any of my .44’s except for my Lew Horton. I shoot 180’s out of that.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There are some very cool things you can do with .44s and most 329 owners are missing out. Most 329 owners shoot some full bore loads, and stick them on the shelf in the safe since they are uncomfortable to shoot and they sit there.

Or they think that the only thing they are good for is full tilt, maxed out loads, instead of using the gun for more fun/ recreational/small game shooting.

How about a very accurate 240 grain semi wadcutter that recoils like a .45 acp?

That is the .44 Russian loaded correctly.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The short cases are very efficient, and they allow them to clear the cylinder much easier than a mag case, and even easier than a Special case.

I have been keeping our local shooters who cant find Mags and Specials supplied with these for a while now.

A couple people I have dealt with said that they are keeping their 4" 329s and 29/629s loaded with these for home defense, as they found they are easy to shoot well.

Fun little things and they make a 329 actually fun to shoot, just like the round nose loads that the action shooting guys like.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What you've done with those 44 Russian loads is pretty similar to what 45 Colt shooters did in the 45 Cowboy Special.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What you've done with those 44 Russian loads is pretty similar to what 45 Colt shooters did in the 45 Cowboy Special.

The Cowboy Special seems like a needless redo of the .45 Auto Rim. You'd just need a replacement cylinder.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Absolutely spot on!

The 45 Cowboy Special is essentially a Colt cut to ACP length, and that is the same concept here. Smaller case volume, more efficient use of powder, and benefits when it comes to quick handling.

If I shot a ton of .45 Colt, and did not have ACP conversions for those guns, I would pick up some 45 CS brass and make some loads that suited my needs.

Ive been doing the same thing with the 38 Short Colt. I could not acquire .38 Special brass, but had the opportunity to get some SC brass so I made a nice, accurate 125 grain poly coated 38 Short Colt load for .38 Special guns, like J Frame Snubbies and K Frames and it has been a very fun one. Basically it is .38 special case cut to 9mm length. Super slick little case to run.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I just literally loaded a bucket load of these smile

I have to box these up so the .38 shooters can have something to shoot!

My poor UPS guy.. laugh

Actually my local UPS people are outstanding folks. I ship through them all the time and I think about half of them are shooters and hunters.

Gotta love Idaho.

cool

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The Cowboy Special seems like a needless redo of the .45 Auto Rim. You'd just need a replacement cylinder.

That makes perfect sense, if you don't think about it.

Why use different brass to accomplish your goal, when you can buy a whole new cylinder, and still use different brass.. crazy

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This thread has kinda gone every which way, so I'll continue the drift.

My all day everyday carry gun was a 329 (actually three) for the better part of a decade. When the pants went on, the 329 went on. Had three to make sure one was always in service.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
Shot the snot out of them (9000 + rnds) with lower end .44 Mag, upper end .44 special. Sent them back to S&W multiple times for repair/maint. Always fixed with no charge.

As I've aged, and no longer spend extended time in the back country, I've gone to the 2 3/4" M69 and the 2.5" M629 Alaskan Backpacker. Just drop them in the back pocket of my Carharts when woods bumming or walking the dog for short periods.

Bought the M396 - L frame alum/ti Mtn Lite .44 special 18oz, 3 1/8" 44 special in 2003. Developed some loads with 260gr Kieths and Lil'Gun that chronoed 1,020 for backup while bow hunting elk in bear country. Recoil in the 18 oz Mtn light is memorable.
The 396 has been replaced with the 329 for backup while bow hunting elk in bear country (probably will be my last yr if I go at all).
These guns are not ment to be range or hunting guns. They are for short range defense and shouldn't be considered anything else. The light weight, sights and with mag ammo aren't conducive to precision shooting. They do fill a niche - an always gun - they won't be left behind because they are too heavy. If 2 legged threats are your only concern, they aren't the best choice.
If you are a handloader, they can be loaded from mild to wild, to meet the threat in your area or you specific needs.
I like them and wouldn't be with out the ones I have.

Just some random thoughts.

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 06/16/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by paul105
This thread has kinda gone every which way, so I'll c b ontinue the drift.

My all day everyday carry gun was a 329 (actually three) for the better part of a decade. When the pants went on, the 329 went on. Had three to make sure one was always in service.

Shot the snot out of them (9000 + rnds) with lower end .44 Mag, upper end .44 special. Sent them back to S&W multiple times for repair/maint. Always fixed with no charge.

As I've aged, and no longer spend extended time in the back country, I've gone to the 2 3/4" M69 and the 2.5" M629 Alaskan Backpacker. Just drop them in the back pocket of my Carharts when woods bumming or walking the dog for short periods.

Bought the M396 - L frame alum/ti Mtn Lite .44 special 18oz, 3 1/8" 44 special in 2003. Developed some loads with 260gr Kieths and Lil'Gun that chronoed 1,020 for backup while bow hunting elk in bear country. Recoil in the 18 oz Mtn light is memorable.
The 396 has been replaced with the 329 for backup while bow hunting elk in bear country (probably will be my last yr if I go at all).
These guns are not ment to be range or hunting guns. They are for short range defense and shouldn't be considered anything else. The light weight, sights and with mag ammo aren't conducive to precision shooting. They do fill a niche - an always gun - they won't be left behind because they are too heavy. If 2 legged threats are your only concern, they aren't the best choice.
If you are a handloader, they can be loaded from mild to wild, to meet the threat in your area or you specific needs.

Paul

Great post

I like guns | optics | fishing
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rodney482
Originally Posted by paul105
This thread has kinda gone every which way, so I'll c b ontinue the drift.

Paul

Great post
Agreed. It's great to see someone actually put them to extensive use as designed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Informative thread, def learned something about these lightweights. I had a model 69 4” that I really wanted to love, but I was literally hit or miss with it. I could put a cylinder inside 4” at 25-30 yards and then couldn’t keep the next 5 shots on a 18”x30” target. Frustrating

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.