Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a Gerber brush axe that came up missing a couple of years ago. It was a fantastic tool and could chop through woody brush better than any standard machete could ever dream of. Unfortunately, Gerber doesn’t seem to carry that model anymore, but Fiskars seems to have a model that looks identical. Does anybody have one of these? Looking for a good one that will be on par with the old Gerber model.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have heard good about the fiskars, I have been using estwing as I can do some damage with the handle , as well.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-78606935J-Brush-Axe/dp/B000F99IEU

That Fiskars looks pretty good. I don't have one, but, I am a big time firewood cutter and splitter and four years ago I got a Fiskars splitting maul and it is just great!
I even retired my classic 34 year old Monster Maul in favor of the Fiskars maul.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I have heard good about the fiskars, I have been using estwing as I can do some damage with the handle , as well.

I didn’t know Estwing a brush axe. I will have to look at that one.

The Fiskars model looks nearly identical to my old Gerber. I’ll probably try that one for sure.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was going to bring up the Estwing line.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I’ve had a fiskars brush axe for years. Highly recommend

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's just brush you need to clear, up to 3-4" diameter lets say, you might look into one of these. They worked great for us in some nasty crap in coastal northern California rainforest streams.

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-26...ef=dp_fod_1?pd_rd_i=B07NPKP871&psc=1

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
It will be for general use. It will stay on the truck, or sometimes go in my hunting pack. Hunt a lot in south Texas where tracking deer or pigs can get into some nasty stuff.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 06/13/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fiskers are ok. They do great as splitters. However the metal they use is pretty soft. I really like my husqvarna hatchets. Hand forged made by hults bruk in Sweden. I prefer something I can swing one handed. 2 handed full size axes gas me and kick my butt. My husky hatchet can go through logs up to 8 inches or so pretty easily and will just eat up ones in the sub 5 inch range. Perfect for camp fire wood gathering. One always resides in my truck, pretty tuff to beat for 40 bucks

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 06/13/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd find and restore an American-made antique. If you must have a new one, Council Tool has some good options.

Council Tool Brush Axe

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/13/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Council Tools makes a decent brush axe if you dont want to spend the money for a quality Swedish axe

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was under the impression they Gerbers were rebadged Fiskars.

Fiskars brush hooks cut brush and the lightning-quick woody shrub growth here more efficiently than anything I’ve seen, I always have one on hand.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
It will be for general use. It will stay on the truck, or sometimes go in my hunting pack. Hunt a lot in south Texas where tracking deer or pigs can get into some nasty stuff.

Sounds like a job for an all purpose machete.
Sheaths are available or can be fashioned for your belt.
You'll want something long enough to reach into the briars but keep your face away.

I've got an old Craftsman (i think) with the thick blade on the end of a long hickory handle. It's too heavy for hunting and made for farm use.

You could go with one of the various long blades the S. Ams and Philippines use. Bolo is one name. Good choppers.

Lastly, Jerry Hossum the great sword smith and fighting knife maker went together with the Outdoor Edge co. They mass produced his Brush Demon.
I talked to Jerry about it and he still recommends a machete of one of the better SA. Companies.

Hope this helps.

Later,

HC

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not sure what size brush your chopping but the wildland firefighters carry a rogue which cuts the smaller stuff well.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Pretty expensive now, but love my Woodsman's Pal. It's safer than a hawk or small axe, in my hands anyway. The hook is real handy. I have an older model with the wood handle and nylon sheath.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet.
I'd like to sell these for the purpose you are talking about.

https://www.outdooredge.com/products/brush-demon-bd-10c

Jerry Hossum is too modest.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,147
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.