24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168051 06/13/21
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,628
J
jackmountain Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,628
You just trying to piss Kingston off now……



BP-B2

Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168076 06/13/21
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 39,881
stxhunter Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 39,881
Hhhuuugggg


God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168086 06/13/21
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 40,320
W
wabigoon Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
W
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 40,320
Some use language to confuse, rather than to inform.

"if ya can't dazzle em' with brilliance, baffle em' with bull."


These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168096 06/13/21
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 58,315
E
elkhunternm Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 58,315
Affirmative


Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member HSC
Member WSF
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association


Take your responsibilites seriously,never yourself-Ken Howell


Ken
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168099 06/13/21
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,179
Valsdad Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,179
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It a really dumb thing to do, unless you're intent is to use it as some sort of code.

You're not very cryptographic, are you?


The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC-A

Re: Big Words [Re: Ranger_Green] #16168123 06/13/21
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 47,407
ltppowell Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 47,407
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
However, it can be bit of fun.

Do you remember the scene in "Braveheart" when the darling prince's boyfriend was thrown out of the window of the tower to his death?

Did you know there is a word for that?

Defenestration
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
For other uses, see Defenestration (disambiguation).

Matthäus Merian's impression of the 1618 Defenestration of Prague
Defenestration (from Modern Latin fenestra[1]), is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window.[2] The term was coined around the time of an incident in Prague Castle in the year 1618 which became the spark that started the Thirty Years' War. This was done in "good Bohemian style", referring to the defenestration which had occurred in Prague's City Hall almost 200 years earlier (July 1419), which also on that occasion led to the Hussite war.[3] The word comes from the New Latin[4] de- (down from) and fenestra (window or opening).[5


Lol...I did have a fella tell me the other day that "you gotta have tires with good gription on these roads". Hell...even made up words that people can understand are better than bullshit words they can't.


Trump Won.
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168130 06/13/21
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 12,296
D
Dillonbuck Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 12,296
Whats a big word to some, isn't to others.

Not well educated, just a general studies high school (barely) graduate.
But I'm an avid reader, and that's developed a decent vocabulary.

Guys at work?
Most read nothing but the newspaper. Maybe just the sports.

Been told I "use big words".

Not my intentions, not trying to impress or befuddle. Just talking.

Those around you are also a factor.
Professional type people often commented on our young daughters
vocabulary, and speaking skills. Always found that amusing, our kids were
better spoken than many of the...higher class kids. Not my thoughts
but those of others.


I'm an American, we kneel to no man.
Only to God!

The Alabama section of Pennsylvania.
Where we cling to our God and Guns.
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168133 06/13/21
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 20,320
T
the_shootist Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
T
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 20,320
I like guns. Nuff Said.


"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Re: Big Words [Re: Dillonbuck] #16168253 06/13/21
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 47,407
ltppowell Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 47,407
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Whats a big word to some, isn't to others.

Not well educated, just a general studies high school (barely) graduate.
But I'm an avid reader, and that's developed a decent vocabulary.

Guys at work?
Most read nothing but the newspaper. Maybe just the sports.

Been told I "use big words".

Not my intentions, not trying to impress or befuddle. Just talking.

Those around you are also a factor.
Professional type people often commented on our young daughters
vocabulary, and speaking skills. Always found that amusing, our kids were
better spoken than many of the...higher class kids. Not my thoughts
but those of others.


I understand trying to impress the rich folk, but if you are talking to actually say something to someone, why would you use a big word that everyone has to Google later?


Trump Won.
Re: Big Words [Re: Ranger_Green] #16168326 06/13/21
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,890
CCCC Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,890
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It a really dumb thing to do, unless you're intent is to use it as some sort of code.
- - - - Big words were meant to be more precise and exacting. I believe the Age of Reason and the Industrial Revolution spurred research into metallurgy and chemistry, and thus education in general. To get your non mathematical ideas across though post of book, you had to use the exactly correct words. It was an scientific and academic arms race into the Age of Imperialism. All this exactness and precision are useless when trying to get a point across to my wife. It is folly to try.

There are times and places - and sometimes not.


NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC-B

Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168422 06/13/21
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,019
O
okie Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,019
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
However, it can be bit of fun.

Do you remember the scene in "Braveheart" when the darling prince's boyfriend was thrown out of the window of the tower to his death?

Did you know there is a word for that?

Defenestration
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
For other uses, see Defenestration (disambiguation).

Matthäus Merian's impression of the 1618 Defenestration of Prague
Defenestration (from Modern Latin fenestra[1]), is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window.[2] The term was coined around the time of an incident in Prague Castle in the year 1618 which became the spark that started the Thirty Years' War. This was done in "good Bohemian style", referring to the defenestration which had occurred in Prague's City Hall almost 200 years earlier (July 1419), which also on that occasion led to the Hussite war.[3] The word comes from the New Latin[4] de- (down from) and fenestra (window or opening).[5


Lol...I did have a fella tell me the other day that "you gotta have tires with good gription on these roads". Hell...even made up words that people can understand are better than bullshit words they can't.



good gription is a good off the cuff necessity for slimy goings on....


One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168425 06/13/21
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 14,141
Beaver10 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 14,141
Huh...

🦫


Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Re: Big Words [Re: roof] #16168435 06/13/21
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,028
I
ihookem Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
I
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,028
Originally Posted by roof
Try to get it done in as few words as possible. Beer, sex, food.


guns, boats fishing poles, pickup trucks.


But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Re: Big Words [Re: CCCC] #16168443 06/13/21
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,516
L
lvmiker Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,516
People that enjoy learning soon realize that most folks embrace the average and simplify their comms around average people. A great communicator can simplify complex thought to influence the proletariat. A learned clear thinker can appreciate both complex and simple language and concepts and apply them appropriately to real life.

When you quit learning you start dying.


mike r


Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168463 06/13/21
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,590
S
SCgman1 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,590
Soil is dirt......

Hate when politicians have to be such lying esofuknteric mofos.

Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168502 06/13/21
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,617
N
navlav8r Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,617
Eh?


NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Re: Big Words [Re: lvmiker] #16168519 06/13/21
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,617
N
navlav8r Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,617
Originally Posted by lvmiker
People that enjoy learning soon realize that most folks embrace the average and simplify their comms around average people. A great communicator can simplify complex thought to influence the proletariat. A learned clear thinker can appreciate both complex and simple language and concepts and apply them appropriately to real life.

When you quit learning you start dying.


mike r


Being a flight instructor requires being able to say the same thing several different ways. Hopefully, somehow the switch is flipped and the lightbulb starts glowing. 💡


NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168526 06/13/21
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,126
Clarkm Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,126
[Linked Image from epe.brightspotcdn.com]


There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168530 06/13/21
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 24,221
efw Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 24,221
I like to read stuff that teaches me new words and/or concepts.

Being patted on the head like a baby Robin who needs someone else to partially digest the worm before being fed is insulting.

On the other hand there are folks who use big words for no reason.

I find the many folks I run into these days who use the “f” word every 5 seconds to be more annoying myself.


Don't you ever wonder why
In spite of all that's wrong here
There's still so much that goes so right
And beauty abounds?

The thunder rolls and the baby sighs
And the rain comes down
Don't you wanta thank someone for this?
-Andrew Peterson
Re: Big Words [Re: ltppowell] #16168545 06/13/21
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 47,543
12344mag Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 47,543
Most that do are just gasconading.


Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

"Because I'm President and they're not".... DJT

Joe and the Ho 2020!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1b
Who's Online Now
637 registered members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 879 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.30 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 0.8795 MB (Peak: 1.0439 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-09-16 20:50:10 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS