D
Here's a video which shows it quite well:

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shaman,

A description of the "slap" method is included in the "Shoot 'Em Again" chapter in GUN GACK II. I have described it elsewhere, but that's probably the most available source.

Would also like to comment that it is very possible to jam a typical Mauser-extractor CRF action by short-stroking, contrary to what some shooters believe.

Cool. I'll go back and read it again.
Thanks for the come back.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 338Rules
338Rules,

If you'd read the original story, ...

I might need a hint as to where it was most recently published,
Though it does sound somehow vaguely familiar. I could’ve skimmed over it less than a month ago

I have written about it more than once, probably first in a story for SUCCESSFUL HUNTER magazine about grizzly hunting, and then again in an article for another magazine about repeat shooting. The first became a chapter in my 2011 book BORN TO HUNT, a collection of hunting stories, and the second a chapter in THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK II, titled "Shoot 'Em Again."

Ch 26 of The Big Book of Big Game Hunting, Backing Up Dangerous Game Clients
Describes this Grizzly encounter, but not the clever phrase in the OPs post.

Perhaps not “Crazy” per se, but most definitely Loony

Perhaps there is still time to take advantage of the Fathers Day sale at R&R ... Born to Hunt awaits

MD - if you had it to do again, Would you rather convert a CRF action ( such as WSM M70 or Kimber 8400) to the 9.3 BS ?

I’m currently on the lookout for a CZ550 in 9.3x62

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You guys made me sleepy, so my 45-70 and .480 Ruger and I took a quick doze/nap.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

Thanks for the video, which explains a lot.

That said, the method I learned from John Wootters is probably just about as quick, since pushing the bolt forward is done with the web of the right hand between the thumb and forefinger--which results in the forefinger sliding down right into the trigger guard.

Though it would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison.... :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hi John

Yes, running it against the clock, using a PACT timer or something similar, would be the ultimate test. FWIW as well as hunting I have run against the clock a good number of times in competition, and it is a good truth-teller. The additional bit of pressure of competition and a timer also tends to find out other issues with technique, rifle reliability and your performance under stress. So too of course does a critter galloping at you ;-)

FWIW here's a bit of benchmarking. The Bloke got down to a bit over 6 seconds for 10 rounds, using a much modded Lee Enfield. These do lend themselves to fast operation, and you'll see how other actions fared in comparison:

You might also find this one interesting, where he talks about the technique. There's also a consideration of the "palming" technique from about 9:25. While he's mostly using the Lee Enfield as an example, he does also look at the Tikka. FWIW I use the ball and socket technique for all bolt actions, and anything which puts the bolt knob down near enough to the trigger also lends itself to the middle finger tripping technique.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Also very interesting! Though I seem to recall having seen the Lee-Enfield video (or something very much like it) before.

However, the occasions when I've HAD to shoot fast (and furious?) have all been offhand, at moving targets--which tends to slow aiming down compared to shooting from, say, prone. The actions have also often been somewhat longer, for cartridges such as the .375 H&H and .416 Rigby.

Though I don't think the extra length makes much difference, even compared to what's generally known as a "short" action these days.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I’ve got a fair number of examples of both PFs and CRFs that I use with equal success, but a finely tuned CRF just brings a smile to my face. Brass almost silently sliding on steel and knowing that round has chambered by friction not the mechanics of the extractor snapping over the rim and the ejector being compressed. Like I said, I don’t dislike PFs, I’ve competed in long range with 700s where operating a bolt without a bobble is the difference between success and a disappointing day, but hunting big game with a CRF is sort of a cult like experience.

Is a M1 Garland a true CRF?

I didn’t see see anyone mention one of the best CRFs, the Savage 99.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
375T You’ve nailed it !

That smile that derives from a well tuned CRF is the essence of Panache.
The stock has to fit, and point naturally of course. But it starts in the action.

Go ahead and Slap Feed your PF 700. The Odds of the bolt breaking off are minuscule ;
After the first hundred or so vigorous cycles of the action of course.

We are all becoming victims of the cheaper manufacturing processes that have come to dominate the industry.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]MD - if you had it to do again, Would you rather convert a CRF action ( such as WSM M70 or Kimber 8400) to the 9.3 BS ?

I’m currently on the lookout for a CZ550 in 9.3x62
[/quote]

338Rules,

Sorry I missed this one.

If I had to do the 9.3 B-S all over again, would do the same thing I did--partly because I already owned and a had hunted considerably with a CZ 550 9.3x62, which fed perfectly from day one. Eventually had it restocked, but that's another story--though will mention that after buying the CZ 9.3x62 in 2001, my custom FN Mauser .338 Winchester Magnum and semi-custom Mark X Mauser .375 H&H haven't seen much field time.

When Charlie Sisk built the first two 9.3 B-S rifles, he built his on a WSM M70 action--and in fact I took a big game animal with it before using my 700-actioned rifle in the field, probably because Charlie got his rifle done first. Back then he ran a shooting school for his customers every winter, and I took part in that--and as "payment" I got to take an animal on the ranch where we set up the school. Didn't bother flying down with one of my own rifles, since there would be plenty available, so used Charlie's Model 70 to take an axis buck, using his 286-grain Nosler Partition load, because due to using that bullet considerably in the 9.3x62, knew it wouldn't shoot up much (if any) of the delicious axis venison. It worked just like we expected it would--like a 9.3x62, dropping the buck right there at about 125 yards, with minimal meat damage. But after that I used either my 700 or CZ 9.3x62.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MD Thanks for your reply. Diplomatically Insightful, as Always.

From your site, It looks like “Born to Hunt “ is going to be available in an e-book format in the next few months.
I look forward to seeing that. I hope the rewards outweigh the headaches !

Last edited by 338Rules; 06/17/21. Reason: Lost while posting

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Eileen is "playing with the idea," but it isn't finalized yet.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.