Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
will a long action mk2 stock fit the new hawkeye? i would like to have the 20" barrel of the alaskan but hate the houge stock. just wondering if they were close enough to the mk2 to share a stock. thanks

jake

any suggestions on a stock?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've heard that the old Ruger boat paddle stock works well.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
that would be great. i always liked the looks of those stocks. nothing says function like a stock desrcibed as a boat paddle! any idea where you could buy these at? will the barrel contour of the .375 ruger work with this stock?

jake

Last edited by hillbillyjake; 08/16/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any stock that fits the factory mkII 338wm will fit the Hawkeye 375Ruger.

GVA

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
i would like to have the 20" barrel of the alaskan but hate the houge stock. jake

any suggestions on a stock?

I told the Ruger reps at SCI when they rolled the thing out that the auctions would be filled with Hogue stocks in a few months, because no one who actually bought the Ruger Alaskan .375 to use in the bush would keep that heavy, ill-designed club. They were baffled. I was happy to read the other day that Phil Shoemaker said the same thing.

Great rifle; lousy stock. Personally, I'm buying a .375 African -- I'll deal with the wood stock issues.

Buy a Mickey grin.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess I'm on the other side with the Hogue stock; I find it suited well to hunting in Alaska. I like the soft feel that doesn't seem to get very cold in low temperatures. I like the tackiness of the texture when it's raining outside. About the only thing I would like to see is the one piece aluminum block as opposed to the aluminum pillar model Ruger used.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
i picked up one of the alaskan's and shouldered it. in trying to do so the sticky stock hung up on my t-shirt and brought it to my shoulder as well. i think this would be quite a hinderence, espicially with winter hunting clothes on. i dont think i could justify the tackiness because of this. plus, i did not like the wide forend. it seemed more like a target gun than a hunting rifle.

what do you think the recoil would be like with one of the boat paddle stocks? it doesn't seem to be designed to dispate recoil that well. any thoughts?

jake

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my opinion the Hogue stock is probably tough and is certainly comfortable to fire from the bench but is an absolute abomination on a dangerous game rifle.
Besides the tacky finish hanging up on coats and shirts it is heavier than even the wooden stock and so wide it almost touches the bolt handle so leaves very little to grasp if you are in a hurry. they are also heavy and cause the little 20 inch barrreled carbine to be butt heavy.
I installed a new Ruger synthetic stock on mine. They are avaliable from Brownells for about $64. I even took a rasp to mine and slimmed the forend just ahead of the magazine - which makes it feel better when carrying. It now balances on the front guard screw and the weight on mine dropped from an even eight pounds to 7 pounds 4 ounces. The weight of a sheep hunting rifle with the power to stop big bears.
Besides that they all seem to feed and operate slicker than most custom rifles. All three 375 Rugers in my camp give under MOA accuracy with factory ammo as well as with my 270 gr TSX and 350 gr Woodleigh reloads.
How can you go wrong?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Phil,
What's your load for the 350 Woodleigh?

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil,

All of which begs the question: Why did Ruger apparently spend a LOT of time and money field-testing and otherwise putting together the African model (which they got absolutely right) and apparently none of the same field time and consulting money on the Alaskan model?

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Phil,

All of which begs the question: Why did Ruger apparently spend a LOT of time and money field-testing and otherwise putting together the African model (which they got absolutely right) and apparently none of the same field time and consulting money on the Alaskan model?

JB

JB and Mr. Shoemaker,

As a fan of your published works (JB I just shelled out $4.99 to disregard an entire magazine to only read your article, and Mr. Shoemaker I go after your articles like a junkie goes after heroin) and as a member in the brotherhood of 375Ruger fans, I request assistance from you two in rectifying this Hogue stock fiasco. My needs are simple and are for the betterment of mankind:

I would like the two of you to convince Ruger to revamp the current mkII "All Weather" stock so that it exactly matches the shape and contour of the current "African" stock. This single move would vault the "Alaskan" into the heavens to a plain never reached before by mortal man with a production rifle. In addition, this same stock would be a marvelous option for the "African".

I fully expect you two shakers and movers to get this done ASAP and I fully expect to see some results shortly. If not, I then must assume that neither of you have any juice and are but mortal men and are in fact not the gods we pretend you are.

One last thing, I'd like you to have LEU come out with a new 3X scope by the end of 2008 so that I may add this to my 375Ruger in addition to this new stock.

Thanks, from the man who bankrolls your lavish lifestyles $4.99 at a time,

GVA

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I totally agree AND I spend OVER SIX DOLLARS CDN per issue and only read Johnny, Phil and Brian, SOOOO.....get with it!!!! smile

The REAL combo I want is a Hawkeye with the Alaskan irons in stainless with Micky Edge and 23"tube in .338 Ruger AND a larger safety button!

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
i looked at the stocks in brownells and will probably end up going that route with this rifle (if i can get one). thanks everyone.

i was lookign at the 350 woodleighs and was wondering if they would feed. no problems, huh? what are you putting behind it?

thanks again,
jake

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake

what do you think the recoil would be like with one of the boat paddle stocks? it doesn't seem to be designed to dispate recoil that well. any thoughts?

jake

NOTHING shocked shocked ever hurt me more than my Ruger 77 MKII SS 338 Win in the boat-paddle stock!! mad I was fortunate enough to find a laminated stock in good condition before I needed rotator cuff surgery. crazy

I have a boat paddle stock from the 338 for sale...excellent condition...almost unused. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
i thought so. like i said, i love the looks of the stocks but if it would be punishing to shoot then i will go another way. that sucks. i really like those stocks. oh well, iguess you can't have it all.

jake

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
GaryVA,

That looks good!

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
GaryVA

that is a very nice looking rifle. i love the utilitarian look. the hawkeye i am looking at is the alaskan. with the 20" barrel would the contour vary from the 24"? i dont think it would but am not sure.

i noticed your recooil numbers. pretty stout. i do understand that recoil is relivent to each individual, but is it manageable in the canoe-paddle stock/.375 combo? i have shot .375 H&H's with no problems before but these were in 10# rifles. thanks for the link.

p.s. would it very hard to shorten the LOP on one of these stocks?

thanks
jake

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The canoe paddle stock is an excellent stock for recoil because it can be altered very easily with a bandsaw.

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Oregon45
The canoe paddle stock is an excellent stock for recoil because it can be altered very easily with a bandsaw.

i'm not sure i understand. could you explain what you mean?

jake

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.