Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I used to go catch them out of folks' yards when I was a game warden. A big gator isn't that hard to handle when he is not in the water. We would put a lariat rope on a big one and just wear him out. I would get up in the back of the truck and let him fight the rope while I held on. We used to relocate them several miles away but they often came back home to cause more trouble or cause trouble at their new home. Louisiana has nuisance alligator hunters licensed to take gators all year so I got to where I would tie one off to a tree and call the hunter to come send him to the boot factory or where ever they send them. A gator visiting humans is not a good thing and it often gets started with fish cleaning. When they hear the electric fillet knives start up here they come. Then they end up killing dogs or sunning on your patio.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hastings
I used to go catch them out of folks' yards when I was a game warden. A big gator isn't that hard to handle when he is not in the water. We would put a lariat rope on a big one and just wear him out. I would get up in the back of the truck and let him fight the rope while I held on. We used to relocate them several miles away but they often came back home to cause more trouble or cause trouble at their new home. Louisiana has nuisance alligator hunters licensed to take gators all year so I got to where I would tie one off to a tree and call the hunter to come send him to the boot factory or where ever they send them. A gator visiting humans is not a good thing and it often gets started with fish cleaning. When they hear the electric fillet knives start up here they come. Then they end up killing dogs or sunning on your patio.

Looking at the deep claw marks and smoothed off floor boards in my boathouse I believe I’ve got a large visitor there from time to time.

At my old camp on lower Grand River some years back I got a rope on one that stayed on my floating dock and I towed him with the boat several water miles away and cut the rope. He was back 2 weeks later with the rope still on him. The gator hunters got him that September.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'd shoot that SOB before it ate a dog or kid.

I think a few whacks will do to make him unwelcome.

The folks across from me on the Lake had a real dandy laying up on their boat lift sunning himself.

Loose dogs aren’t allowed and folks that have them walk them on a leash.

It doesn't sound like you're wanting to kill this guy when most of the advice is steering you to do it before he hurts someone. If its you he bites you only have yourself to blame. If its someone else you'll be kicking yourself in the ass, maybe for the rest of your life. So just do the deed or get someone else who like alligator meat to do it for you.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AZmark

The folks across from me on the Lake had a real dandy laying up on their boat lift sunning himself.

It doesn't sound like you're wanting to kill this guy when most of the advice is steering you to do it before he hurts someone. If its you he bites you only have yourself to blame. If its someone else you'll be kicking yourself in the ass, maybe for the rest of your life. So just do the deed or get someone else who like alligator meat to do it for you.

I think it’s under control. One not much longer than a yardstick ain’t exactly a major threat.
And he’s far from being the only one in the area. There are some big boys around.

Me just killing him is illegal .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think it’s under control. One not much longer than a yardstick ain’t exactly a major threat .

Old Toot,

This has gone from an interesting encounter you've had to a cat lady convention with all of this estrogen showing up. Heaven forbid if you catch a snapping turtle or Gar.
Maybe they need to get out to the pet shop more.

Thanks for sharing and please don't take pictures. That will cause undo stress to the city kids.
Enjoy your new friend before he gets hold of a pack of Rottweilers and eats them. 😄

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/16/21.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I think it’s under control. One not much longer than a yardstick ain’t exactly a major threat .

Old Toot,

This has gone from an interesting encounter you've had to a cat lady convention with all of this estrogen showing up. Heaven forbid if you catch a snapping turtle or Gar.

Thanks for sharing and please don't take pictures. That will cause undo stress to the city kids.
Enjoy your new friend before he gets hold of a pack of Rottweilers and eats them. 😄

Folks mean well, HC.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think he's following you so you can lead him to Synagogue.

Are you folks allowed to eat gator? Aren't they like belly crawlers/lizards and such and off limits? Nearly as off limits as shellfish?

Toots, all kidding aside. I guess have fun with him while you can. But I think of it like "my" badger. Got pics of him in the woodpile and I was happy to have him around knowing he was diggin' up gophers and ground squirrels on the place. He looked kinda cute in there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

then one night the dog started to barking and I found "my" badger had decided he might like to dig under the wire of the chicken Gulag. That didn't turn out so well for him.

Good luck with "your" gator.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Old Toot,

Folks mean well, HC.

I believe you're right.
You're doing well to talk about it. You haven't turned in your man card.
I spent many years exposing a generation or two to wildlife. Anything that scared someone was " the only good (fill in the blank) is a dead _______!😰
Some rural neighborhoods smell of urine, will have dozens of feral cats and a mouse problem. No harmless snakes around to eat them since people are scared of snakes. It's usually the big guys that are the most frightened. Just one example of a hundred.

You have a good night, Old Toot.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/16/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I think he's following you so you can lead him to Synagogue.

Are you folks allowed to eat gator? Aren't they like belly crawlers/lizards and such and off limits? Nearly as off limits as shellfish?

Toots, all kidding aside. I guess have fun with him while you can. But I think of it like "my" badger. Got pics of him in the woodpile and I was happy to have him around knowing he was diggin' up gophers and ground squirrels on the place. He looked kinda cute in there.

then one night the dog started to barking and I found "my" badger had decided he might like to dig under the wire of the chicken Gulag. That didn't turn out so well for him.

Good luck with "your" gator.

That’s cool but like you say, enough is enough.

I’m thinking my gator is kinda amazed and amused that a fuggin blond haired, blue eyed Jew has invaded his space !

As far as what’s allowed to be eaten,,,,I tend to break a few rules.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

Old Toot,

Folks mean well, HC.

I believe you're right.
You're doing well to talk about it. You haven't turned in your man card.
I spent many years exposing a generation or two to wildlife. Anything that scared someone was " the only good (fill in the blank) is a dead _______!😰
Some rural neighborhoods smell of urine, will have dozens of feral cats and a mouse problem. No harmless snakes around to eat them since people are scared of snakes. It's usually the big guys that are the most frightened. Just one example of a hundred.

You have a good night, Old Toot.

You do the same.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Another one of Toot's Tall Tales... now, it's an invisible baby gator.

[Linked Image from cdn.britannica.com]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (358WCF, 1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 61 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.