Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
What else to do during a boring zoom meeting? grin

Just found browsing the internet, using search engines to view photos.

[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]

[Linked Image from wideopenspaces.com]

[Linked Image from mlive.com]

[Linked Image from mlive.com]

Last edited by Calhoun; 06/17/21.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from cdn0.wideopenspaces.com]

[Linked Image from photos.mycapture.com]

[Linked Image from sportingclassicsdaily.com]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from huntingny.com]

[Linked Image from photos.mycapture.com]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

[Linked Image from northcountryatwork.org]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I love these old photos, thanks for posting them.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have this one hanging in my basement.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Got the same one framed and on my wall by one of my deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun

[Linked Image from northcountryatwork.org]

Great pictures all of them.

But this one in particular caught my eye. Notice anything different about the fellow in the middle of this picture? That's your guide. It's likely that he shot most if not all of those deer in the picture. My grandfather had many pictures just like this one when he was guiding with his brother in the 20's and 30's. The "hunters" biggest thrill of the hunt was getting their pictures taken in front of the meat pole with their shinny new rifles and duds.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cool pictures !!!! if you like all kinds of old hunting pictures ,i suggest getting some of Mert Cowleys books,the jackpine poet ,and several others that he wrote. I have been re-reading mine i think theres 6 or 7 books total. lots of savage rifles in them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Enjoyed the pictures Calhoun, thanks for posting. Love old camp/hunting pictures from yesteryear. Get a kick out of the outfit's of the time, high lace boots, oversize looking clothes, slouch hats-in the last pic the guy on the 2nd from the right is wearing and appears to have been hunting in a three piece suit, dress hat, tie, with watch fob hanging, appears to have light colored socks with his pants tucked in and dressy shoes-- LOL!!!! Musta not had time to change after work!!! Quite the outfits of the time, but that's one of the things that make the photo's interesting.

Old pictures like these, plus those out of the 50's and such showing hunters with 99's, Remington 8 and 81's are one of the reason I gravitated and have bought these rifles. I don't know why I don't have any Winchester 73's or 94's. I do have a Uberti copy of 1866 Yellowboy rifle. It's chambered in 44 Spec, but mostly load and shoot 44 Colt rounds with 200 grain cast bullets and FF blackpowder in it. A fun shooter. The 5th picture from the top with the rather grumpy looking guy--I've never seen deer hanging like that with their front legs tied up around the head/neck. Wonder what the reason for that was? Just to get the legs out of the way maybe. Probably some regional deer hunter thing. Great pictures. Be fun to go back in time and hunt with those boys.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks much!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very cool photos.

LOL
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Savage94C
Enjoyed the pictures Calhoun, thanks for posting. Love old camp/hunting pictures from yesteryear. Get a kick out of the outfit's of the time, high lace boots, oversize looking clothes, slouch hats-in the last pic the guy on the 2nd from the right is wearing and appears to have been hunting in a three piece suit, dress hat, tie, with watch fob hanging, appears to have light colored socks with his pants tucked in and dressy shoes-- LOL!!!! Musta not had time to change after work!!! Quite the outfits of the time, but that's one of the things that make the photo's interesting.

Old pictures like these, plus those out of the 50's and such showing hunters with 99's, Remington 8 and 81's are one of the reason I gravitated and have bought these rifles. I don't know why I don't have any Winchester 73's or 94's. I do have a Uberti copy of 1866 Yellowboy rifle. It's chambered in 44 Spec, but mostly load and shoot 44 Colt rounds with 200 grain cast bullets and FF blackpowder in it. A fun shooter. The 5th picture from the top with the rather grumpy looking guy--I've never seen deer hanging like that with their front legs tied up around the head/neck. Wonder what the reason for that was? Just to get the legs out of the way maybe. Probably some regional deer hunter thing. Great pictures. Be fun to go back in time and hunt with those boys.

Tying the legs up like that makes the deer easier to drag. The front legs don't get hung on as much stuff.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Who can name the guns in the 20-gun "All Guns Are Loaded" Rack? I'm seeing the following:

2 Savage 99s
2 Krags (one sporter and one unmolested infantry rifle)
1 M1 Carbine
1 K98 Mauser
6 Winchesters
1 Browning A5/Savage 720/Remington 11
2 Unknown pump shotguns
2 rifles hidden behind the infantry Krag
1 unknown auto rifle that looks like a M1 carbine on steroids (8th rifle from the left)
1 unknown pump 22
1 unknown bolt rifle (19th rifle from the left)

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Tying the legs up like that makes the deer easier to drag. The front legs don't get hung on as much stuff. [/quote]

I think the deer had their hands up trying to surrender, and he just shot them?

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
murderer!.
Those people with the Savages had good taste in guns. The others, wellll.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice!!!!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by clwg97
Originally Posted by Savage94C

Tying the legs up like that makes the deer easier to drag. The front legs don't get hung on as much stuff.

I should have known that-that's what I get for posting after being out in Iowa 93* temps, 103* heat index yesterday. I've even done similar ifin I couldn't drive close enough with a vehicle to get a deer out. DUH!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
for all you youngens, no one wearing camo

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Taking 99 Savage's challenge here is my assessment of the "all guns loaded" photo.
left to right
Winchester 94 circa 1940's
Winchester 94 Deluxe takedown
Winchester 1887/1901
M-1 Carbine
Single shot shotgun maybe Hopkins & Allen ( not H&R)
Savage 99
98 Mauser
M-1 Carbine custom stock
Winchester model 12 Special Field
Savage 99
Winchester 71
Winchester 94 circa 1940 ish
Krag, sporterized
Winchester model 12
Browning A-5 or Remington auto (same gun)
Krag original
Savage 99?? This one is a puzzle as only the tip of the fore stock and barrel visible
Winchester model 84
Unknown bolt action
Possibly a Save 1903. Doesn't appear to be Remington pump gun as there is no magazine tube.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Calhoun, after seeing the first photo I kind of spaced the rest.
WOW, what a deer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,064
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.