Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rte Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Demonrats,once again,prove their cowardice.

Don't want to legislate then you won't get paid.lol

Paychecks Cancelled: After Stopping TX Election Integrity Bill, Dem Lawmakers Learn Gov. Abbott Just Vetoed Their Salaries.

[Linked Image from westernjournal.com]

Want to stop governing in order to stop a bill? In Texas, that’ll stop you from getting paid.

On Friday, Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott vetoed funding for the Texas Legislature after the state House Democratic caucus walked out to avoid a vote on an election integrity bill late last month. The move, first reported by the Texas Tribune, would pause all funding for the legislature, its staffers and its agencies.

Abbott said in a statement that “funding should not be provided for those who quit their job early, leaving their state with unfinished business and exposing taxpayers to higher costs for an additional legislative session.”

“I therefore object to and disapprove of these appropriations.”

And that’s the thing — while the Democrats’ walkout may have temporarily stalled the bill, which would have ended 24-hour drive-in voting and temporary outdoor polling places, inter alia, it’ll be added to a special legislative session later this year, along with bail reform legislation championed by Abbott and the GOP.

House Democratic Caucus Chair Chris Turner said the move was an “abuse of power” and that the caucus “is exploring every option, including immediate legal options, to fight back.”

“Texas has a governor, not a dictator,” Turner said in a statement, according to the Tribune. “The tyrannical veto of the legislative branch is the latest indication that [Abbott] is simply out of control.”

Completing this poll entitles you to The Western Journal news updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

This is an interesting tack to take when you consider the tactics that brought it about.

The legislation, Senate Bill 7, was passed in the state’s upper house and needed to be voted on by law by the lower house before the legislative session would close. Instead of a vote, which they were certain to lose, Turner had a different idea: According to The Washington Post, he sent his caucus a text message at 10:35 p.m. instructing them to leave.

“Members, take your key and leave the chamber discreetly,” Turner wrote, referencing a key which locks the representatives’ voting mechanism on their desks. “Do not go to the gallery. Leave the building.”

The walkout deprived Republicans of a quorum and thus, they were unable to pass the legislation.

“We decided to come together and say we weren’t going to take it,” Democratic state Rep. Jessica González said in an interview after the walkout. “We needed to be part of the process. Cutting us out completely — I mean, this law will affect every single voter in Texas.”

Yet again, we have some absolutely fascinating ideological acrobatics from a member of the Democratic Party.

Bills oughtn’t to be crafted without input from the other side? This certainly isn’t the case in Washington, D.C., where Republicans have been shut out of negotiations on multi-trillion-dollar spending bills because they control neither house of Congress.

When you consider the fact Republicans have a wider numerical majority in the much-smaller 150-seat Texas House of Representatives (16 seats, 83-67) than the Democrats do in the national House of Representatives (nine seats, 220-211), you start realizing Rep. González’s team can’t quite make that argument — particularly when they’re ideologically opposed to anything that makes voting harder than signing up for a Facebook account.

Also, they used an extra-legal strategy to avoid a vote on a bill they didn’t like to exercise a minority party check. Conveniently, her party is now busy attacking the filibuster at the federal level, even though it’s a traditional senatorial check on pure majority rule.

Rest assured that if the national GOP pulled the same stunt, Rep. González would stomp and snort about it in an email to her donor list.

There’s no shock about the fact politicians will inveigh against whatever doesn’t benefit them, though. What is a shock is when they decide to walk out instead of fulfilling their duty as legislators and then expect to get paid.

This has been expected since the walkout — although there is, of course, collateral damage by vetoing funding that includes staffers and agencies.

“I’m just concerned how it impacts them because they weren’t the ones who decided that we were going to break quorum, it wasn’t their decision, right?” Republican House Speaker Dade Phelan said in an interview.

But of course, Democrats and Republicans can return to Austin for a special session to restore the funding — as well as to pass election integrity legislation.

Texas legislators are paid $600 a month, plus $221 per diem when the Legislature is in session, so it’d be pretty hard to rely on this for your sole source of income. (And, if you were doing that, bad news — Gov. Abbott announced last month that Texas was withdrawing from the federal plan which offers an additional $300 a week in unemployment benefits as of June 26, according to the Tribune.)

https://www.westernjournal.com/payc...s-learn-gov-abbott-just-vetoed-salaries/

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its like Abbot and DeSantis gotta large under the table bet to see who can out do the other for MAGA Governor of the New Millennia.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Its like Abbot and DeSantis gotta large under the table bet to see who can out do the other for MAGA Governor of the New Millennia.

I’m liking it.

A lot.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

FUGG_UM Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good man .

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
So nobody gets paid, Republican or Democrat alike?

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"On Friday, Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott vetoed funding for the Texas Legislature after the state House Democratic caucus walked out to avoid a vote on an election integrity bill late last month. The move, first reported by the Texas Tribune, would pause all funding for the legislature, its staffers and its agencies."

The way I read this, it is the entire legislature, not just the Demons. But, it is the weekend and my comprehension may be a bit off.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
think Abbott will run for President?

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can't fathom why they're crying fowl. They are the biggest pack of thieves and misfits imaginable. Democrats are Marxists and we need to vote them out at every level of government. A lot of republican RINOs need to hit the door with them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I hope not.

We have had enough RINO's in that office.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Nope. Trump in 2024 !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I hope not.

We have had enough RINO's in that office.

No doubt!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Otter
"On Friday, Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott vetoed funding for the Texas Legislature after the state House Democratic caucus walked out to avoid a vote on an election integrity bill late last month. The move, first reported by the Texas Tribune, would pause all funding for the legislature, its staffers and its agencies."

The way I read this, it is the entire legislature, not just the Demons. But, it is the weekend and my comprehension may be a bit off.

Those Republicans have good jobs, don't need to worry about it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlegun

Don't worry about it, it doesn't involve you.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Increases the pressure, right?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Reading comprehension is really tough for you isn’t it?
Texas politics is that big of a concern for a half retard Canuck? The only world leader that can’t make fun of how stupid our President is, is your PM.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Otter

Those Republicans have good jobs, don't need to worry about it.

Pretty much same as here. The Republican reps are mostly attorneys and business owners, the dems are “community organizer” types that actually rely on that .gov salary to buy anal beads for their same sex partners.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 62 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.