Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys. I'm still looking and calling. No rush on this but I do want one before September. I do think I'll go with the 10,000 pound rating. The extra cost really isn't that much.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What are you going to be hauling with it?

Figure out what the most weight you'll be putting on the trailer and go from there.

Lots of people don't get enough trailer. Or enough tire.

Recently upgraded to a 20' bumper pull with a dovetail and two 7k Dexter axles. Had them swap the 10 ply POS tires that were on it with Load Range G 14 ply tires.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
What are you going to be hauling with it?

Figure out what the most weight you'll be putting on the trailer and go from there.

Lots of people don't get enough trailer. Or enough tire.

Recently upgraded to a 20' bumper pull with a dovetail and two 7k Dexter axles. Had them swap the 10 ply POS tires that were on it with Load Range G 14 ply tires.

I agree most people do not get enough trailer. When I purchased one to haul a Kioti 45hp tractor with loader attached I wanted to make sure it would handle that load plus any future attachments/equipment I might need to move. Since I already had a 14ft tandem 7500# trailer the new one I got was a 20ft with tandem 7000# axles for a 14000# rating.

Like you I thought the 20ft length and extra capacity of 14000# was worth the little extra cost.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Often said, Quality is remembered long after prize is forgotten".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
"Most people don't get enough trailer" or "Get one that has a higher capacity than you need"

Yes, and not so much.

For every trailer I see overloaded, I see another one that's over stressing the tow vehicle & sucking gas to haul little. Hard to stop or maneuver.

My point is it's as challenging to have just one trailer as it is one rifle.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That is where an aluminum trailer shines.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
"Most people don't get enough trailer" or "Get one that has a higher capacity than you need"

Yes, and not so much.

For every trailer I see overloaded, I see another one that's over stressing the tow vehicle & sucking gas to haul little. Hard to stop or maneuver.

My point is it's as challenging to have just one trailer as it is one rifle.

That's why I have 7 trailers... laugh

Pick the right tool for the job!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I was nearly convinced to buy an aluminum stock trailer a few years ago.

Until, when I was visiting the ranch center that sold them, and the service guy was welding up stress cracks on one.

I asked him how much of that do they see? Se said it was pretty common on aluminum trailers that get used hard on dirt roads and rough ranch terrain. Seeing the stress cracks, I decided against aluminum.

Don't get me wrong, for most people they are fine. And steel trailers get stress cracks too, in rough terrain. It's just easier to fix the steel trailers for most welders of my ability. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Most all big trailers are aluminum, and most of those are of rivet construction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Supply was really bad a few months ago when I was looking for a new utility. I wanted something better than the Tractor Supply junk I had been running for 12 years. (Almost doubled my money selling it though.) Around here the two better trailers are PJ and Big Tex and there was zero chance of getting something in a timely fashion so I started reading reviews. There are quite a few brands I’d never even heard of that have good reputations for being well built. I ended up looking at a Lamar and found one that was getting delivered the following week a few hours away. I’m rather impressed with the build quality. Might add them to your list.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Higginez
Supply was really bad a few months ago when I was looking for a new utility. I wanted something better than the Tractor Supply junk I had been running for 12 years. (Almost doubled my money selling it though.) Around here the two better trailers are PJ and Big Tex and there was zero chance of getting something in a timely fashion so I started reading reviews. There are quite a few brands I’d never even heard of that have good reputations for being well built. I ended up looking at a Lamar and found one that was getting delivered the following week a few hours away. I’m rather impressed with the build quality. Might add them to your list.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Did they charge you extra for that dent in the fender? grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, some jackass backed into it a week after I bought it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
LMAO

Probably though,, the first thing the owner of a new trailer or dually truck is to take a hammer & knock the hell out of one or both fenders. Just speed up the inevitable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by srwshooter
trailers are bringing stupid prices right now. used stuff that was going for 1500 is 2500 now, if i was going to haul a lot i'd go aluminum.

Anything on wheels. My neighbor bought a good used camp trailer last year for $4k. They never used it so he added $1k to his purchase price and put it on Craigslist last week. It was gone in under an hour. They hadn't even finished cleaning it up yet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got a new dove tailed equipment trailer, and sold the older one I had for more than I paid for it.

Actually, I sold it 5 times... LOL.

Placed an ad on Texas site, and had 4 guys PM me saying they wanted it. First one to tell me they did was my fencing guy, so being first, he got the trailer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a 6 x 12’ utility 12 or so years ago for $1,200 and sold it for $2,100! I had replaced the wood decking and the original tail gate that I’d taco’d so it was well maintained. Guy came from 4 hours away and paid asking price.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Shucks

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Aluminum flatbeds look interesting. Wonder if they get cracked easy too, Wabs?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cracking can be a problem with aluminum.
The solution is prevention.
Buy enough trailer!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I was nearly convinced to buy an aluminum stock trailer a few years ago.

Until, when I was visiting the ranch center that sold them, and the service guy was welding up stress cracks on one.

I asked him how much of that do they see? Se said it was pretty common on aluminum trailers that get used hard on dirt roads and rough ranch terrain. Seeing the stress cracks, I decided against aluminum.

Don't get me wrong, for most people they are fine. And steel trailers get stress cracks too, in rough terrain. It's just easier to fix the steel trailers for most welders of my ability. wink

This has been my experience. Aluminum trailers are fine for highway use. They are good looking trailers and lightweight allowing for more cargo weight. Washboard roads and the constant twisting and washouts encountered on two track roads cause cracks that are more difficult to repair. Loaded or unloaded makes no difference.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 23 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.