Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a 50 year old Colt SP1 that functions fine but the "Twang" after every shot is annoying as heck!
I considered a Geissele Super 42 braided Spring and H1 buffer but after calling them they said i may have some issues with .223 rounds not having high enough pressure to reliably cycle.
https://geissele.com/super-42-braided-wire-buffer-spring-and-buffer-combo-h1.html
What other options are out there that may only require a spring replacement.
Function at this point is fine but would really feel better with an updated spring and less twaaaang!!
Thanks in advance for any experience you can offer.
WFR

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If an H1 is too heavy with that spring, try a standard carbine buffer.

As mentioned in another thread, Sprinco makes a range of spring strenths. I try to keep one of each on had along with the full range of buffers, from carbine to H3 for tuning purposes. Depending on how much you are into AR's this may or may not be a good investment for you.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
First is it a rifle or carbine?

Two different springs and buffers.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Simple solution, grease the spring you have.

WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR

Rifle. That is why I specified the Geissele spring and H1 buffer above.

What type of grease and how to apply?

IC B2

WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
If an H1 is too heavy with that spring, try a standard carbine buffer.

As mentioned in another thread, Sprinco makes a range of spring strenths. I try to keep one of each on had along with the full range of buffers, from carbine to H3 for tuning purposes. Depending on how much you are into AR's this may or may not be a good investment for you.

Thanks!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Simple solution, grease the spring you have.

Yep.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by TWR

I use the lithium grease that you can get in an aerosol spray can. Easy to spray some into the tube and on the spring.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by TWR

I use the lithium grease that you can get in an aerosol spray can. Easy to spray some into the tube and on the spring.

Thanks!
Will try this first.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by TWR

Read your link, it's for carbine buffer tubes. If you have a rifle with a fixed stock on it as the SP1 came with, you will need a rifle buffer and spring which is completely different than any carbine buffer or spring.

The rifle buffer is longer and heavier than the H1 buffer and the spring while being longer has a softer spring rate.
To be clearer, the link is referring to gas systems not stock systems. The SP1 came in a rifle version and a carbine version, rifle = fixed stock, carbine = adjustable stock.

Last edited by TWR; 06/21/21.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WFR
I have a 50 year old Colt SP1 that functions fine but the "Twang" after every shot is annoying as heck!
I considered a Geissele Super 42 braided Spring and H1 buffer but after calling them they said i may have some issues with .223 rounds not having high enough pressure to reliably cycle.
https://geissele.com/super-42-braided-wire-buffer-spring-and-buffer-combo-h1.html
Function at this point is fine but would really feel better with an updated spring and less twaaaang!!
WFR

WFR, if you really want to take most of the noise out, get a captured spring system. My buddy did just that last summer and he has really been enjoying his national match busmaster A2 more than ever. He says that is the best upgrade he can imagine on that old rifle, besides the Geissele trigger. It seems like the thin plastic on the A2 stock amplifies that Twang sound from the buffer spring. White lithium grease is a good start, but if you need something better, there's always the captured spring system. I buy and use the Armaspec stealth recoil spring system on some of my rifles. Here's the link:

Armaspec stealth recoil spring system

If you have an A2 rifle length stock, you will also need to buy the spacer, if you go this route:
SRS A1/A2 spacer

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by WFR
WFR

WFR, if you really want to take most of the noise out, get a captured spring system. My buddy did just that last summer and he has really been enjoying his national match busmaster A2 more than ever. He says that is the best upgrade he can imagine on that old rifle, besides the Geissele trigger. It seems like the thin plastic on the A2 stock amplifies that Twang sound from the buffer spring. White lithium grease is a good start, but if you need something better, there's always the captured spring system. I buy and use the Armaspec stealth recoil spring system on some of my rifles. Here's the link:

Armaspec stealth recoil spring system

If you have an A2 rifle length stock, you will also need to buy the spacer, if you go this route:
SRS A1/A2 spacer

Another great option!
Thanks!

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Again, that one is for a carbine length buffer tube.

I would just ignore it but if you just have to put gimmicky products in your gun, here’s one
https://doublestarusa.com/twang-buster-jt140

Your rifle has worked fine but as soon as you start adding crap to it you can expect problems. Especially if you don’t understand the system and order the wrong parts.

But it’s your rifle…

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To be clear: rifle stock needs both correct buffer and spring. Both. The carbine/collapsible stocks use shorter spring and buffer. Both.

The spacer allows you to use carbine buffers in riflestocks.....with a rifle spring.

Use of a carbine buffer without the spacer in a riflestock allows the gas key to trash your lower receiver ring.

OTOH, if you try to use a rifle buffer in a collapsible..........yes, I've seen someone do this..........no harm, but carrier can't move rear enough to feed and cycle.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Tubbs flat wire springs, great product

Last edited by ldholton; 06/22/21.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t know why anyone would use a carbine buffer in a rifle tube.

There is a 5/8” spacer for the A2 stock that goes on the outside of the tube to space out the longer A2 stock. The spacer thingy I linked was meant as a joke, a gimmick.

To the OP, the rifle gas system with fixed stock and rifle tube is as foolproof as they come. It’s been vetted for over 50 years now and has seen few changes. When you read of people changing to heavier buffers or stiffer springs, they are talking about carbine tubes. There is a standard but a lot of companies don’t adhere to it and gas port sizes run all over as do needed weights and springs.

Stick with your proven system and don’t worry about the sproing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TWR
The spacer thingy I linked was meant as a joke, a gimmick.

Actually, they're not jokes. MGI always included the spacer with their rate-reducing buffer. Have it, tried it. In the end decided the rifle stock and buffer were best.

And FWIW I agree with your assessment, all points.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Again, that one is for a carbine length buffer tube.

I would just ignore it but if you just have to put gimmicky products in your gun, here’s one
https://doublestarusa.com/twang-buster-jt140

Your rifle has worked fine but as soon as you start adding crap to it you can expect problems. Especially if you don’t understand the system and order the wrong parts.

But it’s your rifle…

Theres nothing wrong with the captured spring system i suggested. I also listed the spacer you use for the rifle length buffer tube. You may want to try something for your own experience, before you call it "gimmicky". Just sayin.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There’s nothing wrong with the rifle buffer and spring.

But there’s always someone willing to sell you something you need.

And BTW, I’ve been around this stuff for over 20 years and I’ve seen and tried lots of better mouse traps that didn’t quite turn out to be better. Wouldn’t have said anything at all but the OP was fixing to ruin a good SP1 guess I should’ve just kept my mouth shut.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WFR
WFR

The twang is part of the old SP1 nostalgia. Get a PSA for regular use and bring out the old Colt for special occasions. I have a safe queen SP1 made in 71. The Rock River and PSA guns get shot the most.

Who is John Galt?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,400 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.