Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'd appreciate your views and suggested recipes. East, west, or south as they all sound good to me.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Carolina vinegar sauce? I believe there's a rift between the Massengill and Summer's Eve factions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love a mustard and vinegar sauce. Simple as can be and easy to make as sweet or sharp as you like.

Straight ACV with a bit of sugar and various peppers is always good as well. Will put just a bit of ground fennel in it as well .

For a mustard sauce, just mix yellow mustard, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar. Easy to add a bit of either to get it where you like it. Add black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne to your taste.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quite a few variations of Carolina Bbq sauce. Some with just vinegar ,salt , pepper , sugar and crushed red pepper to some with all the above with a bit of ketchup or mustard. Its about like chili or Stew Everyone has their own version of what is authentic or has the right ingredients even in the Carolinas.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Interesting that there's distinct variations in one state. Ketchup, no ketchup, mustard, no mustard. All sounds good on pork. I like salt and pepper on smoked beef, and no sauce of any type, but adding some twang to pork seems to work well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This include the Alabama white ?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by mathman
Carolina vinegar sauce? I believe there's a rift between the Massengill and Summer's Eve factions.

Damn! laugh

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska
This include the Alabama white ?

Heard of it, but never tried it.

All variations sound very German. Horseradish. Mustard. Vinegar.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like an Alabama white sauce on chicken and turkey, not so much on pork or beef

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is a fact that the "best" BBQ is the one you grew up with. Texas style, Memphis style, St Louis Style, Kansas City style, Alabama style, or any of the several Carolina styles. But I'll let you in on a massive secret: they're all delicious.

I grew up on St Louis style with grey-haired Black men running pits at every intersection, featuring the beef and pork parts that the stockyards threw away - mostly ribs. (Yes, ribs were "trim" back then!) The method cooked them low and slow over hickory coals, bathed in a sweet tomato-based sauce the whole cooking time. The meat came out deep red, sticky sweet, with black crusty edges - and was sublime.

Enter adulthood and a year in deepest Texas, where it was beef brisket over mesquite, no sauce at all, and -- surprise -- it was sublime.

Trips to the Carolinas revealed whole hog BBQ with mustard-based and vinegar-based sauces. Both, no...ALL...sublime.

Five years in the sho-nuff Souf meant dry rubs and pork ribs, and pulled pork with coleslaw. Yeah, you guessed it: sublime.

It's all BBQ, it's all wonderful, and I cannot get enough of it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have to agree Rocky. The same can be said for Mexican food for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, yeah. Same theme there: what we mostly know as "Mexican food" is actually Tex-Mex. Strictly a border-born style. What they actually eat in Mexico is FAR more diverse, more regional, and comprised of things we've never heard of unless we've been there.

Ditto what we know as "Chinese food." You ask a Mexican or Chinese chef about what they serve us, and they just shake their heads. It's all what we Americans imagine is Chinese or Mexican. It hardly resembles the real thing - in all its many varieties.

Apology to the OP. I am not a chef, not even a cook. I just eat. So no recipes from me. Wish I could, but...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have preferences, but like Rocky, good food is good.

Gotta disagree a little on Tex-.Mex.
People say that phrase like they stepped in crap. Like it's equivalent to
American Chineese.

Mexico is a big dam country.
The area of the US that borders Mexico used to be...Mexico.
That food IS authentic. To that part of the world, including northern Mexico.

Looking down on Tex-Mex is equivalent to a Vermonter that vista Texas and then decides any other bar-b-que is fake.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It is a fact that the "best" BBQ is the one you grew up with. Texas style, Memphis style, St Louis Style, Kansas City style, Alabama style, or any of the several Carolina styles. But I'll let you in on a massive secret: they're all delicious.

I grew up on St Louis style with grey-haired Black men running pits at every intersection, featuring the beef and pork parts that the stockyards threw away - mostly ribs. (Yes, ribs were "trim" back then!) The method cooked them low and slow over hickory coals, bathed in a sweet tomato-based sauce the whole cooking time. The meat came out deep red, sticky sweet, with black crusty edges - and was sublime.

Enter adulthood and a year in deepest Texas, where it was beef brisket over mesquite, no sauce at all, and -- surprise -- it was sublime.

Trips to the Carolinas revealed whole hog BBQ with mustard-based and vinegar-based sauces. Both, no...ALL...sublime.

Five years in the sho-nuff Souf meant dry rubs and pork ribs, and pulled pork with coleslaw. Yeah, you guessed it: sublime.

It's all BBQ, it's all wonderful, and I cannot get enough of it.

I share your opinion. Pretty much enjoyed all the BBQ I ever ate from Texas to the Carolinas.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't mean to sound like I'm against Tex-Mex. Your observations about it being regionally authentic are correct. That's actually the point I was trying to make - that there are distinct regional styles to ALL kinds of cuisine. The mistake often made is to place one regional style over all other others - like thinking that Cantonese is the only Chinese.

And (back to the OP) that goes for BBQ, too.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Carolina BBQ is the best.. their red slaw is the worst! I'm originally from SC but have lived in N C for 40 yrs. Good ole fashion mayonnaise slaw will always be the best...red slaw is nasty !

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Never had red slaw before.

Are you a fan of Duke's for your slaw?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
this is what i do for NC style pork sauce. not sure if its east, west, north or south but seems pretty close to the stuff i had in NC. works good for a finish sauce as well.

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup apple juice
4 TB brown sugar
1 TB franks hot sauce
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

bring to a boil and then let cool. this really improves with age. i make it and put it in the fridge.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Oh, yeah. Same theme there: what we mostly know as "Mexican food" is actually Tex-Mex. Strictly a border-born style. What they actually eat in Mexico is FAR more diverse, more regional, and comprised of things we've never heard of unless we've been there.

Ditto what we know as "Chinese food." You ask a Mexican or Chinese chef about what they serve us, and they just shake their heads. It's all what we Americans imagine is Chinese or Mexican. It hardly resembles the real thing - in all its many varieties.

Apology to the OP. I am not a chef, not even a cook. I just eat. So no recipes from me. Wish I could, but...

And Italian.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I'd appreciate your views and suggested recipes. East, west, or south as they all sound good to me.

If you want easy just take half or 3/4 a bottle of your favorite store bought and fill the rest with cider vinegar.

It covers a lot of bases.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.