Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MTGunner
You have to go outside to change your mind. MTG

You also have to fight the bugs for the food in that outdoor kitchen, No thanks, Just get a small enclosed trailer and convert it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by MTGunner
You have to go outside to change your mind. MTG

You also have to fight the bugs for the food in that outdoor kitchen, No thanks, Just get a small enclosed trailer and convert it.

I bought a new 7x14 ez hauler double axle cargo trailer....am going to build a basic style....comfort but minimalistic...

named it project sub zero...corny but is being built with winter hunting in mind....bob

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
All the yuppies and libturds love them.

Can you even stand up in one ?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If your going to trailer tough small light and good ground clearance. Very little of the big manufacturers stuff holds up well. I have had to fix all kinds of broken suspension items and re weld frame components just from going carefully and slowly down dirt roads. These are not extreme off roading either. More like roads that in my 4x4 truck alone I could go 20 comfortably.
This does not even consider how the house part comes apart.

I have also had trailer blow outs and my last trailer had to replace the brakes. I would do a small cargo trailer and customize the running gear.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many of those things have the wheels and fenders on the outside. That wastes a lot of space. Simply moving the sides out to the outside of the wheels give you almost 2 more feet of width inside while keeping it tracking the same.

The top one is almost 2' narrower inside but the overall width is about the same.
[Linked Image from overlandtrailer.com]

[Linked Image from roamingtimes.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Threads like this will show you who the real snowflakes are.... !

Ya well, its like Qui Gon Jinn said; there's always a bigger fish.....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by pal
I've camped out of a 1958 18' Airstream trailer, from Baja to BC. And have lived in boats and travel trailers half of my 77 years. Small boats and trailers are the most fun. And a single guy just doesn't need much to be comfortable. An 18' Airstream is not much of a burden to tow and is a lot more comfortable than a teardrop.

pull UR Airstream here ?

Prob not.....

no KOA drop boxes here

or barking fuggin dogs.......only coyotes

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Airstreams traveled across Africa and Mexico/Central America....that should be like a walk in the park.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For you DIY guys who'd like to build your own--- 15 years ago I built a 6x10 utility trailer. I wanted it to track with my pickup but I also didn't want inside wheel wells to take up space. I got around that by using tandem 2000lb axles and 12" tires, all fully under the trailer. The bed is only 22" off the ground so it's low enough to load easily. It weighs about 1100lb so I have a max payload of almost 3000lb. 12" tires don't last as long as larger ones but in 15 years I'm only on my 2d set of them. Load range D tires have a max load of over 1300lb so the tire weight rating is more than the axles. 2k axles aren't very heavy at all. The extra axle with springs, brakes, and tires adds less than 150lb to the total weight and maybe $200 to the total cost (maybe $300 post covid). Since it only weighs 1100, it pulls very well behind a small car. The floor is 2x6's and the main frame is 2x4 square tubing and a 3x3 tongue. If this was a camper, lighter weight materials could reduce the weight to compensate for the added weight of walls and a roof. I made the tongue long to make it easy to back. Those short tongues can be a real bitch to back up.

We would like to have a camper to pull behind our Toyota Highlander. I've considered building a slide in camper that will sit on the floor of this trailer, like a pickup camper. All the sides come off so I have a 6x10 floor to set it on. Like a pickup camper, this wouldn't need to be licensed. You only have the cost of a utility trailer license.

this photo is a bit of an illusion. The top frame that holds the floor and sides extends out to the outside of the tires.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
The reason I prefer conversion trailers is because they don’t make anything that works for me. Everything ends up being a project.

I like to order an insulated WellsCargo with RV windows and doors with vents, then go to town. They last frickin forever too.

the AC in an insulated is probably more effective than on a popup?
I guess popups have zip in windows as an option, but all the onrs I have seen are screened. but I saw one with an AC unit on the roof last week being towed.

I think the key to A/C in the end is keeping the sun off the trailer. when it comes to heating, a mr buddy in a tent is the warmest

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 06/22/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Roof RV a/c's are handy and out of the way but they sure aren't the cheapest or most reliable. If you have a way to install a home window type a/c, you can save a lot of money and need less power to run it. There's a lot of info on the web about how to install one. If it's on a side wall, you likely need a way to pull it inside while traveling because of the added width.
For heating, we have an old 23' trailer. The stock heater died many years ago. I've been using a Big Buddy heater that I plumbed right into the propane line. It's kept the trailer livable down in the low teens. However, it does dump a LOT of water in the air so the windows get wet when it's cold. There's no fix for that other than ventilation and that brings in more cold air so the heater runs more and puts out more water which needs more ventilation.....

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread makes me laugh. I think a lot of this is status and looks. Same with the roof top tents. I say those are for people afraid of getting eaten by bears. I spend 30+ nights a year camping from the remotest parts of the nevada high desert. To Idaho and Utah. A trailer will never go where I need it to, plus it’s a total waste. I camp to get away from people. Using some sort of trailer most likely means just camping by other people. These tear drops and roof top units you can’t stand up in. I normally need to take a piss at night. Not fun trying to get out to do that.

A kodiak tent or spring bar tent is all most people need. I can set up mine in around 5 minutes. I normally just don’t go if the weather is terrible. Cold isn’t an issue because I just run a buddy heater going to bed and when I want to wake up.

There is only one situation i would prefer a camper trailer. And not a tear drop! But a full size travel trailer. Hunting from a fixed area in bad weather. Such as drawing a limited entry tag. This allows me to warm up and hang out while the storms pass . A large wall tent is just as good for that. Maybe better because you can run a wood burning stove.

Those are very limited uses. 95% of what I do and most others need can be done with a spring bar or kodiak.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lawnman
So looking at these style campers. Yes they are small. Yes they can be pricey. Looking for something smaller and minimalist for camping 4 to 5 times a year out of state. Usually 6 to 8 hours away is where I care to go. I'm in Florida so u get it. Nucamp makes a nice little one with outdoor kitchen. This will be used solo by me for 3 or 4 day fish trips etc and also with my youngest son on long holiday weekend and summers. Pros and cons?

You can keep them.

I like to stand up to put my pants on.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
you can add one of those little woodstoves to most any camper/trailer...... sheepherders been doing it forever.

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/collections/cub-cb-108/products/cb-1008-br-cubic-mini-wood-stove

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If i do a trailer again it’s going to be a cargo trailer that I add some bunks in and a couple windows. Some here have suggested that. That would be so I can haul my rhino and atv stuff in. It’s doesn’t need to be extremely posh inside.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never been attracted to teardrops, but then I'm a walking landform. I've done just about every other method out there instead.

I'm not big on camping below 32F. I've done it. I've hunted out of a Eureka Timberline with a vestibule down in the Teens, but I'm in my 60's now-- probably won't do it again. That Eureka Timberline 4-man is still going strong after 35 years. I can still set it up in total darkness -- probably still in 5 minutes.

What I've found that works for me mostly is a pickup with a cap that will fit me. If the weather is warm, I'll camp in the tent. If it gets cold, I'll move into the back of the truck. I can heat the back of the truck with a small electric heater. The back of the truck will take a vast amount of gear-- more than I need. I've done it that way for decades. My first truck was Wife 1.0's F150 shortbed. Since I kicked Satan out, I've had a Blazer, an S-10, and now a Silverado. They all worked. The back of the Silverado is luxurious. The one thing to remember is that you need insulation on the bed.

If I were camping seriously, I'd try a lot of options before I hung a little trailer on the back.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very good thread - thanks. There are some very skilled and inventive guys on here. Pretty much doing your own -nice work.

As ever, for some it is the showy aspect - next big thing - conveniences, new stuff, driving on pavement, etc. All good in that realm.

For those who go through rough and deep into difficult access, strength and function rule.

Slice of life - concepts not new - but talent dies shine for some of you guys.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very good thread - thanks. There are some very skilled and inventive guys on here. Pretty much doing your own -nice work.

As ever, for some it is the showy aspect - next big thing - conveniences, new stuff, driving on pavement, etc. All good in that realm.

For those who go through rough and deep into difficult access, strength and function rule.

Slice of life - concepts not new - but talent dies shine for some of you guys.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
If i do a trailer again it’s going to be a cargo trailer that I add some bunks in and a couple windows. Some here have suggested that. That would be so I can haul my rhino and atv stuff in. It’s doesn’t need to be extremely posh inside.

RIO7 has made himself a rig something like this (but, no windows as I remember) and it is well done. Just right for his needs - and a welcomed sight.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
I have a 6x12 cargo trailer that i use. Has a raised platform with a queen mattress for sleeping, all the gear fits under the bed. Has an outdoor shower with a on demand hot water heater, one large sink, and a 2 burner stove with decent sized counter space under counter storage. LED lights and insulated. Great stereo system, TV and DVD player, 2 deep cycle batteries and 2 propane bottles. Small and light enough to go most anywhere. In the summer we will make a patio with the rear door and sleep off the ground but under the stars.
While not everyones cup of tea it works great for 2-3 days for 4 folks. My youngest boy and i hauled it from AZ to Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico for 3 weeks camping and fishing where and when we wanted and had an absolute blast. My favorite thing is that the camping gear is secure and out of sight.

Dad rigged up a small 5x8 enclosed trailer for solo “camping” several years ago. To me, this route has far more pros than cons. Easy, light, inexpensive. Gear stays secure and dry while traveling. Lock stuff up during the day while you are gone. The customization options are endless as you are starting with an empty shell.

It is definitely the route I would take to meet the OP’s needs and desires.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ckat
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
I have a 6x12 cargo trailer that i use. Has a raised platform with a queen mattress for sleeping, all the gear fits under the bed. Has an outdoor shower with a on demand hot water heater, one large sink, and a 2 burner stove with decent sized counter space under counter storage. LED lights and insulated. Great stereo system, TV and DVD player, 2 deep cycle batteries and 2 propane bottles. Small and light enough to go most anywhere. In the summer we will make a patio with the rear door and sleep off the ground but under the stars.
While not everyones cup of tea it works great for 2-3 days for 4 folks. My youngest boy and i hauled it from AZ to Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico for 3 weeks camping and fishing where and when we wanted and had an absolute blast. My favorite thing is that the camping gear is secure and out of sight.

Dad rigged up a small 5x8 enclosed trailer for solo “camping” several years ago. To me, this route has far more pros than cons. Easy, light, inexpensive. Gear stays secure and dry while traveling. Lock stuff up during the day while you are gone. The customization options are endless as you are starting with an empty shell.

It is definitely the route I would take to meet the OP’s needs and desires.

plus you could haul ATV's and UTV's in there without buying a toy hauler. AND you could store them in there when parked at your house also out of the weather. that is the main draw for me. I am running out of garage space.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey Jack, I have other water options but High speed low drag simple works too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like that sprayer. Where did you get it?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,341
Posts18,487,734
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.