Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A good watch thank you

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty cool, tks cool

I looked for the guy's "Part 2" of the series but it might not be out yet.

I'm curious about the guy's assertion that White guys fought with and dressed like Apaches, other than Mickey Free, my impression has been that the Apache way of life was so physically demanding that few not actually raised in that lifestyle could hack it.

I had thought that Tommy Lee Jones' character in "The Missing" was sorta bogus, maybe I was wrong.

Neat to see rapid-fire with a trapdoor Springfield, I've never handled one.

I was thinking the .50-70 Geronimo handed over to John Clum was a junk rifle selected for the occasion but apparently, given the described circumstance, it really was his primary arm at the time.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
they were interesting to me for a variety of reasons.
i have a number of early springfields, including a pencil bayonet one, always just assumed they were 45.70, might not be true.
also have two 1870 rolling blocks, have never got around to getting a chamber cast for caliber, but given what they are saying probably a good
idea. they came off the san carlos indian reservation. one is in parts, as i disassembled it to redo the stock, cracked and fixed with those round pins as shown in the youtube. was gonna have crossfireops do this, but he died before i could get it done.
i also have a very wierd single shot, nobody has been able to identify to me, other that shortly after civil war. have to get a chamber cast of it too.
one of the interesting things about the apache, not all surrendered. some were running free into the 1920's and there were joint american and mexican expeditions against them which none of them worked.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Pretty cool, tks cool

I'm curious about the guy's assertion that White guys fought with and dressed like Apaches, other than Mickey Free, my impression has been that the Apache way of life was so physically demanding that few not actually raised in that lifestyle could hack it.

I had thought that Tommy Lee Jones' character in "The Missing" was sorta bogus, maybe I was wrong.

I was thinking the .50-70 Geronimo handed over to John Clum was a junk rifle selected for the occasion but apparently, given the described circumstance, it really was his primary arm at the time.

I very seldom go the the theater and see a movie anymore. I went and saw The Missing. I thought there were bogus elements in it. I wouldn't say TLJ's character was bogus. I'm feeling charitable today so I'd give the movie 3 out of 5 stars.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
excellent videos ! thanks for posting them,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wonder where the dude got the reproduction Apache boots?

Mine are thigh length when pulled up, from a pattern made by an elder who took her mom's apart to find out how they made them in the olden days. Mom's were from the 1918 time period. White Mountain Apache tribe.

And yes, the toes are weird but they sure protect my tootsies from rocks when hunting.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Mine are thigh length when pulled up, from a pattern made by an elder who took her mom's apart to find out how they made them in the olden days. Mom's were from the 1918 time period. White Mountain Apache tribe.

And yes, the toes are weird but they sure protect my tootsies from rocks when hunting.

those are pretty cool.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

cactus kickers!

Desert Son in Tucson still makes them...along with a lot of other styles

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Pretty cool, tks cool

I very seldom go the the theater and see a movie anymore. I went and saw The Missing. I thought there were bogus elements in it. I wouldn't say TLJ's character was bogus. I'm feeling charitable today so I'd give the movie 3 out of 5 stars.

It was an OK Movie. I’ll give it a 2.5 out of a possible 5.
Like most of the stuff Ron “Opie” Howard churns out, I found it lacking substance. Had some good actors, though.
Tommy Lee Jones always plays an asswhole. Not near as much as he is in real life, though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

[Like most of the stuff Ron “Opie” Howard churns out, I found it lacking substance. Had some good actors, though.
Tommy Lee Jones always plays an asswhole. Not near as much as he is in real life, though.}
[/quote]

That conveys a message well.

Retired cat herder.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Geronimo, one of the, if not the, toughest men ever born. He's what gives the Apaches the reputation they have as fighters survivors. Prophesized he couldn't be killed in battle, could heal others, was a medicine man and could see the future. Anyway lots of well known stories.

A few not so known...

After the Mexicans killed his mother, wife and kids... he was still young... he was granted some warriors to retaliate. During the fight he would run zig zag at a soldier avoiding bullets and then kill him/them with a knife, take their guns and run back to his side giving them to his warriors... he didn't know how to use a gun himself. He got the name Geronimo during that fight from the Mexicans, who would yell his new name in fear every time he made a run at them, his side picked it up and would yell the name in encouragement.

When things got bad he'd give up and go to the reservation. One of his last escapes was from Turkey creek, he was farming there and the year before had planted a corn crop and made some money, the next year he had planted oats but before he could harvest he heard he was to be arrested, so left. Crook had to go catch him again and asked him why he left in exasperation because Turkey creek was a decent place for the Apache.

He then was forced to send Geronimo to Florida. Geronimo made money at fairs, wild west shows, exhibitions. He road in Teddy Roosevelts presidential parade, more people wanted to see Geronimo than Roosevelt. He asked Roosevelt if he could ever go back to Arizona and was told no, he was to hated back there.

He became a Christian and thought the majority of whites were peaceful and nice.

He never quit hating Mexicans.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting info!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
So, what's Geronimo mean Spanish to English?

Last edited by org_Rogue_Hunter; 06/23/21.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
So, what's Geronimo mean Spanish to English?

Spanish version of Jerome, according to the ‘net.

The story I read that early on in his career in a battle where he was avenging the death of his wife and child at the hands of Mexican soldiers it was on the feast day of San Geronimo, and some of the soldiers he was killing were calling upon San Geronimo for protection.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 06/23/21.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Interesting history that’s for sure.

That 50-70 must of put the wallop on its target.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have driven by the site of the Ward Ranch many times. It is on state rt 82 just South of Patagonia. There is a historical sigh mentioning the kidnapping as seen in the link below.

I read that Mickey Free and some of his followers would charge hell with a bucket of water. Micky lost an eye when he leaned down to deal with a deer and the deer moved putting an antler into his eye.

Right photo of Mickey shows a whiteish eye

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/titus-arizona-2.htm

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Geronimo's real name was Goyaałé or Goyathlay, I've seen 4 or 5 different spellings... the one who yawns.

Mexicans are responsible for Geronimo, there's different versions.

He had 9 wives... that right there may make him the bravest man ever...

Kent

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by krp
Geronimo's real name was Goyaałé or Goyathlay, I've seen 4 or 5 different spellings... the one who yawns.

Mexicans are responsible for Geronimo, there's different versions.

He had 9 wives... that right there may make him the bravest man ever...

Kent

Or dumbest

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
That too...

It was said the only thing an Apache feared was a Navajo... if one decided to kill you he never stopped till he did.

Geronimo killed mexicans whenever he could, he had such contempt he'd often use a rock or stick instead of wasting a bullet.

Kent

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

729 members (12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 86 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,807
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.