Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I was perusing Alliant's 2021 catalog and noticed a few things that I haven't seen discussed before. Maybe JB has more insight.

1. Unique - now extruded. I've only seen this in flake form
2. Quite a few other pistol/shotgun powders that were previously flake now being billed as extruded
3. RL TS 15.5 - a temperature stable version of RL-15
4. RL-23 is rebranded RL TS 23 - now temperature stable

Could be I haven't been paying attention too . . .

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NAGW. My Unique is flake! I hope they haven’t screwed up what works!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I believe flake powder is just a really short extrusion, so I don't think that would be a change.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Alliant's naming scheme makes no sense to me - now they'll have as temp stable rifle powers AR-COMP, RL 15.5, RL 16, and RL TS 23? I'm sure someone in Alliant marketing can explain that sequence to me?!?!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about getting the old stuff in stock again before we go adding new varieties to the mix?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those "TS" powders look nice. I use the regular brand name, now looking forward to the new stuff.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 06/24/21.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read a review and some tests of RL 15.5 that made me really want a jug of it. Hoping to find some when sanity returns.
Rex

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by centershot
How about getting the old stuff in stock again before we go adding new varieties to the mix?

Exactly. Haven't seen a bottle in my LGS in almost a year.

Haven't seen a bottle of R26 at my LGS in almost 3 years.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe a way of justifying a price increase?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny how anything new brings out the same variety of responses. From some, joy, from others, various complaints. Saw the same thing the other day after viewing a YouTube video about new brass from Lapua. Since most “powder” companies are really just resellers of stuff made by others, they have to push what’s available to them. They’re probably feeling the pinch right now too, as the actual manufacturers try to keep up with demand from ammo companies. Those who roll their own are always going to be at the end of the line, just as with primers. With the exception of primers, I’ve seen sufficient supplies online and in stores to load something, to defend the castle, hunt, or practice, if one wasn’t too fussy. I’ll bet we’ll see ammo return before good supplies of components.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Those "TS" powders look nice. I use the regular brand name, now looking forward to the new stuff.

They've already existed for some time - AR-COMP, RL-16, and RL-23 use their temp stabilization technology.

Those are three of the best powders on the market (along with Hodgdon Extreme) for the hunter who expects various temperature conditions. People have definitely discovered RL-16 because of its utility in many of the larger PRS shooting cases and superior temp stability to RL-17 and H4350. But RL-23 and AR-COMP are still largely under the radar.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 06/26/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Funny how anything new brings out the same variety of responses. From some, joy, from others, various complaints. Saw the same thing the other day after viewing a YouTube video about new brass from Lapua. Since most “powder” companies are really just resellers of stuff made by others, they have to push what’s available to them. They’re probably feeling the pinch right now too, as the actual manufacturers try to keep up with demand from ammo companies. Those who roll their own are always going to be at the end of the line, just as with primers. With the exception of primers, I’ve seen sufficient supplies online and in stores to load something, to defend the castle, hunt, or practice, if one wasn’t too fussy. I’ll bet we’ll see ammo return before good supplies of components.

Lapua announced around ten years ago they were bring back 300 win mag brass. Still haven't seen any!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of places list it, but all are out. Have you placed a backorder or signed up for notification?

Based on long experience, I never go into an LGS cold expecting to find to any reloading stuff. Last place that was well-stocked near here was the old Gander Mountain store in Winchester before they were bought out and the cuts started. Reloading supplies went pretty quickly.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

They've already existed for some time - AR-COMP, RL-16, and RL-23 use their temp stabilization technology.

Those are three of the best powders on the market (along with Hodgdon Extreme) for the hunter who expects various temperature conditions. People have definitely discovered RL-16 because of its utility in many of the larger PRS shooting cases and superior temp stability to RL-17 and H4350. But RL-23 and AR-COMP are still largely under the radar.

This is what I was thinking as well. I was wondering, if they had improved what they had.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Temperature stable RL15 would be awesome.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The RL-15.5 looks interesting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot

Right???????????

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I recall reading somewhere, years back, that RL15 was among the most temp stable of powders at the time. Curious.

The extruded Unique has me scratching my head a bit, did someone at Alliant wonder how they could make it meter worse?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’d honestly be really stoked finding an 8lb jug of regular RL15.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I’d honestly be really stoked finding an 8lb jug of regular RL15.

If you find one, save it ... collectors item. RL 15 comes in 1s and 5s, not 8s.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,166
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.