-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Hey y’all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’m finishing up a semi-custom build and can’t decide whether to go with a traditional stock or try out a chassis system. The build is a Left-hand Savage 110 action with factory bottom metal and dbm and a Criterion heavy sporter barrel chambered for .300 WM. Being a lefty doesn’t present me too many options to choose from so I’m pretty much down to these two: a pillar bedded Boyd’s laminate stock, or an XLR Element chassis. Anyone here have experience with both platforms(ie stock vs chassis) particularly in hunting scenarios? What are the pros and cons to each? How are the ergos of the chassis in field positions? I mainly day hunt and hardly ever backpack hunt if that makes a difference. Also anyone have suggestions other than the two I listed? Thanks!

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both. I like both for different uses. One thing I don't like about a chassis is aluminum and cold weather (i.e. hunting). I like a more traditional stock for a meat gun that I'm going to possibly be walking with. Where the chassis usually wins is the ability to configure it to your LOP, cheek height, etc.With that said, I use chassis more for range work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull
I have both. I like both for different uses. One thing I don't like about a chassis is aluminum and cold weather (i.e. hunting). I like a more traditional stock for a meat gun that I'm going to possibly be walking with. Where the chassis usually wins is the ability to configure it to your LOP, cheek height, etc.With that said, I use chassis more for range work.

I agree.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have an XLR. Not a fan of their buttstocks, and I think the trigger guard hangs too low to match up with most grips. Otherwise it's fine. I prefer a nice McMillan, but chassis do work.

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have an XLR. Not a fan of their buttstocks, and I think the trigger guard hangs too low to match up with most grips. Otherwise it's fine. I prefer a nice McMillan, but chassis do work.

Appreciate the response! Yeah, I would love a McMillan A3, but according to their website they only offer blind mag, or single shot configurations for the Savage 110.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm using several chassis on rifles....more than I thought I would. I hunt with them (mainly predator hunting) often when I don't need the lightest setup. MDT's LSS is lighter than most and it works well when I've got either of my younger kids with me calling coyotes. The adjustable LOP is quick, easy, and allows either of us to use it (hunting or plinking)....that's the biggest pro for me.

MDT is coming out with a lightweight hunting chassis that I'd like to try...I haven't been able to talk myself into turning loose the $ yet:

https://mdttac.com/us_en/hnt26-chassis-system.html

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,494
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.