Print Thread
Hop To
C
cs2blue Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I was able to buy a 513T made in August of 1942 for 100 bucks. It was in need of a good cleaning but cleaned up very well. My dilemma is: I want to shoot it to see how accurate it is but here's the rub. It has barrel mounted bases on the barrel for a unertl scope. There is a base for a Redfield 75, but no front or rear sight came with the gun. It is stamped US property on the receiver and on the barrel . So i am reluctant to have it drilled and tapped. for modern scope mounting. The unertl scope is pricey (Malcolm scopes included), and the Redfiled 75 RT peep is a hens tooth in my searches as of today. If anyone has a peep sight please advise. Any ideas or wisdom would be welcomed. Thanks in advance, Blue.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What would you prefer if you had the option?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Its almost blasphemous to not have irons on a target rifle of that vintage. A good set of sights will net the same precision as a modern scope, if the appropriate size target is used.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Sorry, I had a peep sight for my model 513 t, but gave it to a friend.. Not sure what he did with it!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I guess i am not inclined to scope the rifle but would like to see what the rifle could do accuracy wise. I realize the Irons will allow that standard to met with the least amount of $ spent. Scopes for that style of rifle/ mount are in a price class all to them selves. Even irons for that model are not plentiful, and come up from time to time. At least the irons are cheaper.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I do not share your reluctance to drill and tap it for modern scope bases, it is not like the rifle is rare or particuarily collectible. For me it would actually increase the value because I prefer a modern scope to the vintage scopes of that era.
While the vintage scopes and/or target irons look neat and period correct they are not as usable or versatile as a modern scope. The older target scopes have a very limited field of view, generally the optics leave something to be desired and the irons while usable are are at their best at a fixed distance and target/bulleye size which limits their versatility also.

The rifle was made to be shot and so why not make it usable.

drover

p.s - I have owned a few 513T's and had them drilled and tapped with no regrets whatever, in everyinstance it was an improvement IMO.

Last edited by drover; 06/19/21.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
drover, I do have a couple of scope that are not being used, So i do agree with your view on the subject. But i am going to try the target peeps first and see what that gets me. Hopefully, it will add a new challenge to my range days and not any frustration. I did buy the peep sight from a campfire member, so for now i am only looking for a front globe sight. a redfield 65.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you need a front sight that dovetails into the barrel, or is the barrel drilled for a front sight block? I have several 18mm globe front sights with adjustable irises, but they all mount on a sight block.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If its' a pos, drill and tap it. If it's a collectible, don't drill and tap it. JMHO.. I still like the idea of a vintage target rifle wearing irons...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My buddies 513T shoots almost as good as that 52B and he'd be crazy to drill and tap that rifle. I have a newer iron sight 22lr target rifle that is already drilled and tapped:

If the op's is a collectible rifle, buy a cheap azzed Savage like this one..^^^^ Cost $199 before the boyds. Shoots like this with irons:

Shoots the same way with a modern scope. Used it in a Know your Limits match today. Scoped it up with a cheap azzed bushnell rimire scope and we won't say how badly it whooped up on a $1,000.00 Christensen Arms.. Poor bastid..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Mike S, I have a early version of the 513T that has a dovetail slot under the barrel mounted blade sight. It seems easier to just buy a Lyman 17A of the proper height with the dovetail already on the bottom of it. i can get one fron Brownell's at a discount. Unless..... I were to locate a Redfield 65 with the dovetail base of the right height and price. not a completely vintage set up buy it will be ready to shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No worries. Let us know how it turns out.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
EGW makes a Picitinni scope mount that uses the Unertyl mount holes.

T
T
I traded for a 1943 513t last weekend. Got it to the range and loved the sights, it has the Redfield rear and post front. It’s going to add some fun to my range trip for a long time I believe.

Last edited by Trailcutter; 06/22/21. Reason: Spelling
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Trailcutter
I traded for a 1943 513t last weekend. Got it to the range and loved the sights, it has the Redfield rear and post front. It’s going to add some fun to my range trip for a long time I believe.

You should try a globe front sight on that rifle. Makes a heck of a difference on targets.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I am going to put a Lyman globe 17A .404 height on the front, Vintage Redfield 75 on the rear, target peep.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Mine was made a month after Pearl Harbor. Everything is proper on it. Love it

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cs2blue
I am going to put a Lyman globe 17A .404 height on the front, Vintage Redfield 75 on the rear, target peep.

Very nice. These old target rifles are a kick in the pants to shoot. I look forward to my next rimfire match when I can pull the 52 out... Keep us posted on how your rifle shoots after you install your sights..

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Still waiting on the lyman globe sight to arrive, so i ordered a magazine for the gun and it works fine, feeds and extracts ok but it will not eject the extracted round, The ejector seems fine but the extractors barely hold the round as the bolt is drawn back. So i have ordered to new extractors in hopes of correcting the problem. The trigger is good breaks at a tad over two pounds and i have no plans to mess with it. .

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cs2blue
Still waiting on the lyman globe sight to arrive, so i ordered a magazine for the gun and it works fine, feeds and extracts ok but it will not eject the extracted round, The ejector seems fine but the extractors barely hold the round as the bolt is drawn back. So i have ordered to new extractors in hopes of correcting the problem. The trigger is good breaks at a tad over two pounds and i have no plans to mess with it. .

Its probably been shot a lot. My dad's Mossberg chuckster was like that. I replaced all the springs, ejector, and extractors and now it works flawlessly. Shoots good too, even though it's seen a lot of rounds down its barrel. My dad tried his best to wear it out when he was a kid... I'll still bet your rifle shoots great.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,165
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.