-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .270's recoil is about as much as most shooters can handle without it affecting accuracy.

Are you insinuating that since I am able to shoot 1/2" groups with the 300ultramag,I should do much better with the 270win? grin

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
This sums it up best:

Originally Posted by allenday
I started to read about the 270 Win. while I was still in high school. Then in 1978 I bought my first one, and I've never been without at least one 270 in my battery every since. I've carried a 270 Win. (and Bob, like you, I've owned a bunch of them) on many mule deer, whitetail, elk, pronghorn, and black bear hunts, as well as moose hunts and coyote hunts.

It's been a very "lucky" (for want of a better word) cartridge for me, in that I've used it to take my first black bear, as well as my very best trophy mule deer, as well as my best pronghorn, best Texas whitetail, etc. Actually, I think the real "luck" of the 270 has been that it shoots flat, carries light, kills well, and is easy to hit with.

In fact, I quit using a 7mm Rem. Mag. mostly because as far as I could tell, the 270 killed just as well as it did, shot just as flat, kicked less, was shorter and lighter to carry, and wasn't as loud.

Mostly, I've used a 130 gr. Nosler Partition loaded to around 3140 fps. or thereabouts for just about everything I've shot with the 270 Win., and I'll take the same load after mule deer this year.

The only hunters I know who put the 270 down have either very little or no experience with it, or else they have used poor bullets, anemic loads, or they just can't shoot so they blame the cartridge instead of themselves.

My favorite two-rifle North American hunting battery would consist of a 270 Win. and a 338 Win. Mag.. If I could have only one rifle for our continent, I'd go with a 300 Win. Mag..

One of my real ambitions is to take a 270 Win. to Africa along with a 375 H&H, and one year, I'll devote an entire safari to those two cartridges. Since I grew up reading about Jack O'Connor and John Jobson using that very two-rifle battery in Africa on more than once occasion, I have to do it at least once myself and realize yet another a hunting dream from my youth......

If I lived in primarily a whitetail state and/or hunted little else other than antelope, deer, etc., the 270 Win. would likely be the only big game rifle I'd own or would want to own.

The 270 Win. is hardly the only cartridge I use or have used, but it is one of my favorites, and I am a member of "The Cult of the 270" grin

AD

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I started to read about the 270 Win. while I was still in high school. Then in 1978 I bought my first one, and I've never been without at least one 270 in my battery every since. I've carried a 270 Win. (and Bob, like you, I've owned a bunch of them) on many mule deer, whitetail, elk, pronghorn, and black bear hunts, as well as moose hunts and coyote hunts.

It's been a very "lucky" (for want of a better word) cartridge for me, in that I've used it to take my first black bear, as well as my very best trophy mule deer, as well as my best pronghorn, best Texas whitetail, etc. Actually, I think the real "luck" of the 270 has been that it shoots flat, carries light, kills well, and is easy to hit with.

In fact, I quit using a 7mm Rem. Mag. mostly because as far as I could tell, the 270 killed just as well as it did, shot just as flat, kicked less, was shorter and lighter to carry, and wasn't as loud.

Mostly, I've used a 130 gr. Nosler Partition loaded to around 3140 fps. or thereabouts for just about everything I've shot with the 270 Win., and I'll take the same load after mule deer this year.

The only hunters I know who put the 270 down have either very little or no experience with it, or else they have used poor bullets, anemic loads, or they just can't shoot so they blame the cartridge instead of themselves.

My favorite two-rifle North American hunting battery would consist of a 270 Win. and a 338 Win. Mag.. If I could have only one rifle for our continent, I'd go with a 300 Win. Mag..

One of my real ambitions is to take a 270 Win. to Africa along with a 375 H&H, and one year, I'll devote an entire safari to those two cartridges. Since I grew up reading about Jack O'Connor and John Jobson using that very two-rifle battery in Africa on more than once occasion, I have to do it at least once myself and realize yet another a hunting dream from my youth......

If I lived in primarily a whitetail state and/or hunted little else other than antelope, deer, etc., the 270 Win. would likely be the only big game rifle I'd own or would want to own.

The 270 Win. is hardly the only cartridge I use or have used, but it is one of my favorites, and I am a member of "The Cult of the 270" grin

AD

It's too bad Allen never made that trip to Africa with just a 270 & 375.

Just a couple months after this terrific post Allen stopped by for a visit with his wife Beth. What a good time we had.

He passed in May of 2010 at 53 years old.

Death certainly brings into perspective arguing ballistic gack on the internet!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Posted this before....my go to rifle for PA and NY bucks is a Remington 700 Classic 270 Win. that I purchased new in 1981....many other options but, I feel really guilty leaving it behind in the safe....it has NEVER let me down.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Since this post originated in 2007 and I had never owned a 270 prior to that time, I could not claim cult status and was unable to participate in this thread. That however, has changed. I was raised on the 30-06 - that is what my Dad shot, and what his Dad shot (sporterized Springfields and Enfields with open sights, and is what I learned on). In 2008, I felt I needed to buy one of the newly introduced M70 Limited rifles under FN manufacture. I was on the hunt for a 30-06, but on a whim came home with a 270 Featherweight instead. Since 2008, I've added more 270's (as well as more 30-06's and others), but tend to grab a 270 more than anything else these days. It's definitely become a "go-to" cartridge for most of my hunting (and I also have a couple of 7x57's... whistle)

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

It's too bad Allen never made that trip to Africa with just a 270 & 375.

Just a couple months after this terrific post Allen stopped by for a visit with his wife Beth. What a good time we had.

He passed in May of 2010 at 53 years old.

Wow. It's interesting you posted this today as I was recently reading some past threads that included some of his posts. In doing so I wondered to myself, "why haven't I seen more posts from AD that are more recent?". There are very few who would elicit such thoughts, some for the extreme loathing they create for themselves in others, and fewer for their friendly and reasoned contributions. I never personally knew him other than through a few pieces of correspondence. He was definitely one whose absence is noted because of his friendly and reasoned contributions. I am saddened to hear of his passing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by allenday
I started to read about the 270 Win. while I was still in high school. Then in 1978 I bought my first one, and I've never been without at least one 270 in my battery every since.

Exactly, the spirit of AD is still right on the money.

I still use the same one I bought back in high school about 20 years ago.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I too must confess to being a member of "the cult of the 270". I must also confess to leading my daughter astray with a Model 70 Classic stainless featherweight in .270. I feel better now that I have confessed.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Win fwt 270 looks good, feels good, shoots good, kills great.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eyeball

I'm building one right now... Classic SS M70 Fwt (6-digit 1996), McMillan Hnters Edge (on order), PT&G 1-piece bottom metal, X-Low Talley Lwt's, 6x36 Leupold LR, Uncle Mike's Mtn Sling... with 4 rounds down should come in 7-lbs 6-ozs give or take.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have twin daughters so I am working on an exact duplicate of the first one. I will be guilty of leading two young ladies astray.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'm building one right now... Classic SS M70 Fwt (6-digit 1996), McMillan Hnters Edge (on order), PT&G 1-piece bottom metal, X-Low Talley Lwt's, 6x36 Leupold LR, Uncle Mike's Mtn Sling... with 4 rounds down should come in 7-lbs 6-ozs give or take.

Sounds awesome Brad. I figured you'd be using a Brown precision or High Tech Specialties stock instead of the edge since the ergos are more similar to the Montana. They also weigh about the same as the micky edge. Why did you decide to go that route my friend? Your build sounds more along the same lines as my pre 64 270 fwt:

[Linked Image]

This one has made me change my tune about 270's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brad;
Good morning to you sir, it's good to see you posting again here at the 'Fire - hopefully you and yours are well this still cold beginning to 2015.

If you're ever feeling in an adventurous mood when starting a build, you might consider a Wildcat Composites stock just for something different.

This one was an honest 21oz without the Decelerator installed and if I'd gone with a lighter pad instead of the Decelerator we could have come in at 23oz including pad and swivel bases.

The Wildcat stocks have a carbon fiber I beam cast into the center of the stock and the two I've worked with were very, very stiff stocks for the weight.

[Linked Image]

It's a push feed, early '80's Featherweight in .270 and the owner wanted me to prime it only as it was going to be gifted to his son and they were going to rattle can the final pattern together.

Although somewhere I do have a photo of the finished product on a scale I can't find it at present somehow Brad. Anyway if we can trust my increasingly faulty memory I want to say it scaled out very close to your 7� lb target.

Anyway just a thought for a "someday" project Brad. All the best to you and yours in 2015.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/01/15. Reason: better info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds awesome Brad. I figured you'd be using a Brown precision or High Tech Specialties stock instead of the edge since the ergos are more similar to the Montana. They also weigh about the same as the micky edge. Why did you decide to go that route my friend?

I've had 3 Hunters Edges under M70's, 2 featherweights (both 30-06's, a pre-64 and post 64) and one standard weight (300 WSM).

While the comb is not ideal to me, they are lighter than a High Tech, stiffer, require very little work, already have pillars, and most importantly are more svelt in the forearm. If the Banser had the same svelt forearm as the Edge I'd go Bansner hand's-down as they're a fair bit less money and are plenty good enough.

Brown's are grossly overpriced, have no pillars, not as well made IMO, and have an overly long forearm for a 22" fwt bbl.

My life is busy and a McMillan makes it simpler.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, Wildcat indeed makes a nice stock. Some years back I talked with the owner about ordering. At the end of the day, when you start going through the list of things you'd want from WCC's, the cost is about the same as the McMillan Hunters Edge, and isn't quite as light.

Best to you my friend...

Brad

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to the 270, the only "first" it holds for me was I used an M70 Fwt to take my first antelope when I moved to Montana in the 90's. I used a 308 to take my first Mule deer and a 338 WM to take my first elk.

At the end of the day, just sticking with that original 270 would have been the wisest thing I could have done... or the 308 laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds awesome Brad. I figured you'd be using a Brown precision or High Tech Specialties stock instead of the edge since the ergos are more similar to the Montana. They also weigh about the same as the micky edge. Why did you decide to go that route my friend?

I've had 3 Hunters Edges under M70's, 2 featherweights (both 30-06's, a pre-64 and post 64) and one standard weight (300 WSM).

While the comb is not ideal to me, they are lighter than a High Tech, stiffer, require very little work, already have pillars, and most importantly are more svelt in the forearm. If the Banser had the same svelt forearm as the Edge I'd go Bansner hand's-down as they're a fair bit less money and are plenty good enough.

Brown's are grossly overpriced, have no pillars, not as well made IMO, and have an overly long forearm for a 22" fwt bbl.

My life is busy and a McMillan makes it simpler.

That makes a lot of sense Brad. Sounds like a damn fine rifle you'll end up with.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
My first big game rifle was a Remington 700 in 270. Got it when I was about 14 and still use it often. Dropped it in a McMillian Edge and had it Ceracoated to make it more user friendly. I've taken caribou, black bear, Dall sheep and many Sitka blacktails with it. I've been wanting a Kimber 84L and the 270 is getting serious consideration.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
270 seems to kick less than -06, not really more than a 308, at least to me and my shorter frame. Only shot 4 so har, but all have moved less than 50 ft from hit point so yes, I too am a fan.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Have owned maybe four or five .270's.. The 721 lived here longest.. I shot several whitetails, antelope, and a turkey with it.. Couple years ago I picked up a custom barreled 700 in .270.. (the 721 was long gone) This one had a about a number 5 on it 26" long.. It just felt good so I bought it.. It hasn't quite edged out the old .25-06 in my favorite rifles, but it is close.. So far it has taken coyotes, mule deer, antelope, whitetails, elk and feral hogs.. Certainly one of my favorites, but not in the top three...

Molon Labe
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 28 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,197
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.