L
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am not a sheepdog

No one would confuse you with one

LOL

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Hero Liberty Activist Killed By Police After Stopping Mass Shooter Who Just Killed a Cop
Matt Agorist June 24, 2021
https://thefreethoughtproject.com/l...acks-before-cops-show-up-and-kill-him/ve

Arvada, CO — On Monday, a deranged gunman, 59-year-old Ronald Troyke, began what was about to be a deadly mass shooting. His first victim would be Arvada Police Officer Gordon Beesley, and, according to the reports that evening, his next victim would be liberty activist and friend to many members of the Free Thought Project, including this author, Johnny Hurley. But it didn’t quite unfold like the original reports claimed. Hurley was actually the hero who stopped the gunman and when other officers arrived on scene, one of them killed the hero.

Johnny Hurley was an outspoken activist for freedom and peace and he spent the last decade or more of his life seeking those goals for the world. His dedication to the preservation of life was so strong that it actually cost him his own life.

According to multiple witnesses, when the gunman, Troyke, began shooting, Hurley did not hesitate and ran straight into danger, eliminating the threat and saving countless lives.

“He did not hesitate; he didn’t stand there and think about it. He totally heard the gunfire, went to the door, saw the shooter and immediately ran in that direction,” witness Bill Troyanos said. “I just want to make sure his family knows how heroic he was.”

“He turned back and looked towards everybody at the restaurant and told us that he (Troyke) is coming, that he is coming back and that we should get inside,” another witness who asked not to be identified said. “I ran to the back of the store, closer to the alley, kind of ‘nooked’ myself in a corner just to feel safe.”

“Mr. Hurley shot him. I think I heard 6 shots from his gun, maybe 5,” Troyanos said.

freestar
To those who witnessed the shooting, Hurley was hailed as a hero. He had stopped the deadly threat and saved many lives in the process. But his time as a living hero was only brief. Moments after saving countless lives, Hurley would be killed by police who likely mistook him for the shooter.

Arvada Police Chief Link Strate said in a news conference Tuesday that Hurley was “a true hero who likely disrupted what could have been a larger loss of life,” but would not say it was police who shot him.

Though police refused to confirm it was them who shot Hurley, Denver7 Chief Investigator Tony Kovaleski reported that they confirmed through three informed, ranking sources — including two law enforcement sources — that it was indeed a cop who ended this hero’s life.

Hurley’s Facebook profile is filled with statements from friends showing just how big of a light he shined in this world. His death is a true tragedy and will leave a void in the activism community.

“Johnny was a man of immense integrity and conviction, but he was also so darn charming. While we often disagreed, I never once doubted his compassion, empathy, or heart. You do indeed shine light in dark places, my dear friend. Your legacy of love is real and cherished,” wrote Shannon McNamara.

“He was everything you wanted in a good friend, and much more. He had a heart of gold. He was smart, open minded, out spoken, resourceful, funny, and very caring. He was a musician, a creator, a speaker of truth, a great chef, and just an all around great human being,” Zack Kopp wrote.

freestar
“Had this been anyone else, I wouldn’t believe it. Of course you’d be the one that wouldn’t hesitate to act so quickly and selflessly and in doing so, you protected the lives of so many people. You’re a god damn hero and I wish you were still here to witness the impact you’ve made Johnny Hurley,” said Lauren Harris.

There has been a GoFundMe set up in his name to help pay for expenses. You can donate to it here.

Rest in Peace, Johnny Hurley.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We've been conditioned to think of police and military as the professionals and that they are the only ones who can handle such situations. Such thinking is apt to get people killed as they wait for the pro's to show up. Police can't be everywhere at once and can't be on call like a magic geni in some bottle. I'll criticize the cops here because while one can sympathize with not knowing the situation, there are several things at play. Most cops never hesitate to remind everybody that THEY are the pro's and they are the ones charged with doing such heroics, thus the "understandable" mistake of shooting the good guy. This coupled with a cop culture of "damn everybody else, but I'm going home alive at the end of my shift to my wife and kids". Combine this with the pussification drilled into every CCW holder by instructors, many of them cops, and you have a typical outcome here. Even the idea that "Constitutional Carry" is needed is bad, because it presupposes that laws override the supreme law of the land, the Constitution, and they do not. Even Constitutional Carry is somewhat of an infringement, whereas the idea of CCW's is more of one and they have allowed these ideas to take a big hold on our national psyche. The whole idea that only a bad guy would have a gun in such a situation is part of the problem as well.

I don't know whether this guy went into the situation wanting to be a hero or whether he just saw a situation he could resolve and did so. I hope the cop who killed him thinks about the life he took for the whole of the rest of his own life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tough to say without knowing the details but I do know if I were in that situation I would disarm myself as soon as it was safe to do so.Maybe this guy didnt have the chance to do so...

Correct. But it is absolutely mandatory that if one is involved in a shooting, NEVER, EVER, turn to a responding officer(s) with a gun in hand. As soon as the bad guy is down, either holster the gun or put it on the ground so the officer(s) can see it. Raise your hands immediately. Do exactly what the officer(s) tell you to do.

The article did not say what happened. Hope we find out for certain.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
evidently the 'hero' did not get a chance. Cops just shot him down like a dog.

Sam......

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
… Correct. But it is absolutely mandatory that if one is involved in a shooting, NEVER, EVER, turn to a responding officer(s) with a gun in hand. As soon as the bad guy is down, either holster the gun or put it on the ground so the officer(s) can see it. Raise your hands immediately. Do exactly what the officer(s) tell you to do.

This ^^^^^^ …. When we did Active Shooter training for our church security team, the KSP Sgt leading the session was 100% crystal clear. “After we enter the building, you have less than 2 seconds to drop all weapons. Otherwise we will shoot you.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
WTH, a cop sees someone with a gun and they are free to open fire? Come on man!!!

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I hope the cop who killed him thinks about the life he took for the whole of the rest of his own life.

He will if he is any kind of a decent man.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Easy to do an after the fact talk about what the guys who showed up should have done. Little harder when the call comes over the radio that a coworker is down, shot by an unknown assailant, and you roll up to the scene to see an armed man, and two men down, one of them your coworker.

If everything does not go just right, most men here would have done the same thing. Some of the folks who are monday morning quarterbacking wouldn’t have ever been there, because they would have died long ago from being too hesitant to pull the trigger.

The world is imperfect. If you want to have an opinion about the results of this situation, do the legwork, learn the facts, and work it into to your action plan to improve your chances of success in a similar situation. Anything else is just useless yapping.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think the prudent thing to do, and I am not taking anything away from this man, would have been not to be holding a firearm in his hand when the LEOs arrived on the scene. Pistol on the floor, kick it away and hands on top of the head. But I was not there, and he was.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
We've been conditioned to think of police and military as the professionals and that they are the only ones who can handle such situations. Such thinking is apt to get people killed as they wait for the pro's to show up. Police can't be everywhere at once and can't be on call like a magic geni in some bottle. I'll criticize the cops here because while one can sympathize with not knowing the situation, there are several things at play. Most cops never hesitate to remind everybody that THEY are the pro's and they are the ones charged with doing such heroics, thus the "understandable" mistake of shooting the good guy. This coupled with a cop culture of "damn everybody else, but I'm going home alive at the end of my shift to my wife and kids". Combine this with the pussification drilled into every CCW holder by instructors, many of them cops, and you have a typical outcome here. Even the idea that "Constitutional Carry" is needed is bad, because it presupposes that laws override the supreme law of the land, the Constitution, and they do not. Even Constitutional Carry is somewhat of an infringement, whereas the idea of CCW's is more of one and they have allowed these ideas to take a big hold on our national psyche. The whole idea that only a bad guy would have a gun in such a situation is part of the problem as well.

I don't know whether this guy went into the situation wanting to be a hero or whether he just saw a situation he could resolve and did so. I hope the cop who killed him thinks about the life he took for the whole of the rest of his own life.

What a blowfish. You judge others by your own lack of standards and knowledge.

Strong people protect the weak and sometimes schidt happens. I worry more about some untrained goon like you killing me through ignorance than I do getting killed by the popo.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
So, the cop will probably not be charged, because whatever you have to do-to-get-home-safe-at-night-blah-please-don't-quit-blah-immunity. No point in talking about it, really. But what if another civilian had shot the hero, mistaking him for the shooter? They get charged for what?

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tough to say without knowing the details but I do know if I were in that situation I would disarm myself as soon as it was safe to do so.Maybe this guy didnt have the chance to do so...

Or, maybe the cop just saw the gun and executed him.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
AS do you really believe that most cops would act as executioners if the circumstances gave them a choice? Many here certainly do.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A real shame. Don't understand how this happens, short of if this guy turned and pointed.

LEO'S need to be aware of the very real possibility of citizens, off duty leo's, plainclothes leo's, etc. being engaged in a situation. Just because there are reports of "shots fired" does not give an leo justification to open fire on any non-uniformed individual who has a firearm in their hand. Unless this guy turned and pointed at them displaying an immediate perceived threat requiring immediate action, this leo screwed up big. There are a lot of good guys out there carrying, not in uniform, and getting involved. Nowhere have I seen that is is justified to open fire simply because someone has a firearm in their hands. Too little information is known at that point to make the call to shoot someone.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DaveR
Too little information is known at that point to make the call to shoot someone.

That's where we are.

Not enough information to Monday Morning Quarterback anything.

But that won't stop anyone.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by lvmiker
AS do you really believe that most cops would act as executioners if the circumstances gave them a choice? Many here certainly do.

mike r

No bodycam's. Sounds like the only witnesses are other cops. From the DA on up, everyone reviewing this is a bleeding heart liberal, so regardless of how egregious the cops actions, I doubt there will ever be any justice for the white, male, gun owning John Hurley.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

What a blowfish. You judge others by your own lack of standards and knowledge.

Strong people protect the weak and sometimes schidt happens. I worry more about some untrained goon like you killing me through ignorance than I do getting killed by the popo.

mike r
You can worry all you want to about inconsequential bs but it won't make much difference as old as you are. More than likely you'll stroke out and spend the rest of your life in an old folks home drooling on yourself and shixtting your diaper as you set facing the TV and watching wheel, waiting for your next bowl of porridge or for the young, sixty year old nurse to pat you on the head.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DaveR
A real shame. Don't understand how this happens, short of if this guy turned and pointed.

LEO'S need to be aware of the very real possibility of citizens, off duty leo's, plainclothes leo's, etc. being engaged in a situation. Just because there are reports of "shots fired" does not give an leo justification to open fire on any non-uniformed individual who has a firearm in their hand. Unless this guy turned and pointed at them displaying an immediate perceived threat requiring immediate action, this leo screwed up big. There are a lot of good guys out there carrying, not in uniform, and getting involved. Nowhere have I seen that is is justified to open fire simply because someone has a firearm in their hands. Too little information is known at that point to make the call to shoot someone.

Way too many cops who believe gun = bad guy = open fire.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
We've got constitutional carry going into effect July 1st here in TN. If everybody starts carrying a pistol the cops won't know whether to $hit or go blind.

Their will be incidents for sure.
Good law.
But lots of morons will be carrying.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 270wsmnutt, 26 invisible), 14,152 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,109
Posts18,541,996
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.