-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

30" of rain so far this year - wish I could send you guys some. Another monsoon moving in tonite.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
We had a drought in Tennessee in 2007.

Only a few inches of rain from February until about September. And then October is normally a dry month anyway.

I was able to get so much done then. Me and the wife poured about 45 yards of concrete in several different sets. Stripped off 28 squares of shingles, added a master bedroom, bath and closet to the house, tied all that in. The whole house got redecked with 5/8 cdx and new Carriage House shingles me and her installed. Painted the new part and repainted the rest of the place.

A lot of mold and mildew died off. You subtract 30 inches of rain.

Didnt have to mow

2007-8 were 100 year droughts in the Southeast. Normal summer weather is controled by a High that sits in the northern Gulf of Mexico and pumps the humid air up in the southeast and gives us the humid summers with thunderstorms. Those two years that High moved north and parked itself in central Alabama. Weather fronts from the West would hit that High and get steered north into the Ohio Valley, dumping rain there and leaving us dry, dry dry.

The rain goes somewhere. When we have an El Niño year, North America ane Western Europe flood while Southern Africa and OZ burn up. Conversely, La Niña pattern dries us out and Southern Africa is green and OZ is all good. Obviously am oversimplification, but that's the usual result. 2008 was an La Niña year.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
#DearGodPleaseRain
#OMG

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a couple raindrops on my windshield yesterday. That was about it...People seem to forget we had a ton of snow winter before last. It was nuts how much it snowed. Then zilch this past winter. I've never seen back to back heavy snow years here.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Squidge

Gotta love a chart that doesn't actually define it's scale. What exactly is "Abnormally" compare to historical norms? It smacks of agenda driven chartology.

it is all defined, you just don't know the definitions, or where to find them.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/About/AbouttheData/DroughtClassification.aspx

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In Australia, they drilled wells and pumped so much water that the wells turned saline. In Montana, they irrigated to the point that the water concentrated salt on the surface. All for short term gain. Those who don't want to believe in the current drought are burying their heads in the sand (and there is plenty of sand!). Not likely to be human caused, mind you, but the drought is real enough. Our activities just compound the effects of drought. Goats and burros will create deserts because they are just doing what comes natural too them and they have no concept of cause and effect. People do understand this concept but will ignore and deny it and go ahead and create that desert anyway; frequently, with the help of those goats! GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Anyone try a rain dance ?

Yes...but I fugged it up and accidentally summoned grasshoppers.

Too afraid to try the seagull dance.....and too far gone to convert to Mormonism.

Without pictures it never happened, a good thing perhaps in this case…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is china controlling the weather?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rainfall has been just about perfect here in the lower Shenandoah Valley. Good thing, as I hate having to watch my tiny wife dragging that big honkin’ hose back and forth for the garden. I suppose I could avert my eyes, but I could still hear the grunting….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Utah water year starts on October 1, the beginning of the snow season. We are the second-driest state after Nevada, and the long-term average for Ogden is just over 18" a year. This year, according to my digital rain gauge, we have only had 9.38" in eight months. July through September are normally rain-free and this year looks like that won't change. The last "above average" year was 2019, and it was a definite aberration. One wet year does not a drought break, and this is a deep, deep drought. Most of our reservoirs are at 50% capacity - a few with a bit more but many with less.

And yet, they keep building condos on every bit of land they can re-zone. Our population doubles every decade or so. It simply cannot go on like this.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Is china controlling the weather?
Before it's over they may darn well control water policy and agriculture here.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Utah water year starts on October 1, the beginning of the snow season. We are the second-driest state after Nevada, and the long-term average for Ogden is just over 18" a year. This year, according to my digital rain gauge, we have only had 9.38" in eight months. July through September are normally rain-free and this year looks like that won't change. The last "above average" year was 2019, and it was a definite aberration. One wet year does not a drought break, and this is a deep, deep drought. Most of our reservoirs are at 50% capacity - a few with a bit more but many with less.

And yet, they keep building condos on every bit of land they can re-zone. Our population doubles every decade or so. It simply cannot go on like this.

Water year precip here so far is 6.034" Rocky.

I wish we'd had 9" +, that would be much closer to normal for us.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I thought you guys said it was dry there?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.wwno.org/news/2021-05-11/may-is-new-orleans-third-month-in-a-row-of-record-breaking-rain

We have plenty here.

This is interesting.

"While meteorologists aren’t keen to draw connections between specific rainfall events and climate change, research has shown that climate change is bringing heavier precipitation. As temperatures warm globally, more water evaporates off of the ocean and falls as rain on land."

Shouldn't they have finished that with "but it causes droughts in more arid regions."

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 06/23/21.
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No, they should have finished with “ but who knows, we’ve never been right about any of this”.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I will sell Great Lakes water for $10.00 a pint plus shipping.Will trade for primers.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Been above average rain where I live. Rivers have been too high and muddy to bass fish all year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Sounds le more Global Warming Bullschitt.

We’ve had three of the wettest years on record here. 😜

The drought area involved is bigger than TX, far bigger, and it's real. This is a prolonged drought period with a couple of wet years tossed into the last forty years. Everywhere I go now I see springs, lecks, streams, and tanks dry that have never dried up in my lifetime. For the last five years they have been drying up earlier in the year.

This drought and increasing heat is brutal. Wildlife has all but vanished many places, yet the feds protect the feral horse...criminal!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Entire civilizations have fallen in the southwest more than once in recent history due to drought.

We are likely not the anointed ones to suddenly dodge that bullet.

Rolling brownouts, massive fires, and water shortages are not some fear mongering the liberal media is spreading - it is a reality, as in RIGHT NOW.

I know anyone east of the Mississippi thinks it is a crock of chit, but it will eventually impact you.

Last edited by duck911; 06/23/21.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if that's true why does it rain within 24 hrs in EP every single time I wash my vehicle?

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/23/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 73 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,783
Posts18,495,955
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.