Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have 4 game cams out right now for moose. Sure is easy to find water hole pinch points around Fairbanks! Concentrates those moose like no other.....

NOT.

That’s my point, we have feed and water everywhere, just gotta hang your cams and hope for the best, especially with big blacktails. I’ve had nice bucks pass through 1 time, never to be seen again. My bull I killed last year I got on camera once, end of August, didn’t see him before, the next time I saw him was the 4th day of musket season and I made it count. I would definitely think water would be key in arid states, kinda like food plots back East with the whitetail hunters.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Springcove
Originally Posted by GregW
You can make it what you want but the words challenging, hot, and dry have been used before...grin...

I truly meant no offense. If it’s anything like hunting Blacktail deer in Northern California in August and September then I would definitely love the challenge.

You definitely need to do it. Absolutely amazing country.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Judman
You can make it what you want but the words challenging, hot, and dry have been used before...grin...

I truly meant no offense. If it’s anything like hunting Blacktail deer in Northern California in August and September then I would definitely love the challenge.

You definitely need to do it. Absolutely amazing country.

It is definitely a bucket list item. Not getting any younger and need to start doing some research on it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Apologies. I did not mean to sidetrack this thread. “Squirrel”…

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Very cool deer, waaaay cooler than mule deer!! 😂😂😂

Little Houdini’s 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Is the Couse deer hunting as miserable as it looks on TV?

It's only as miserable as you make it. I have hunted coues since 1961 and have had the opportunity to kill one each year. When we had four kids at home I shot the first legal buck that I could. After all the kids departed I only killed older bigger racked bucks. Never used a trail camera and never will. Due to some physical conditions, I don't/can't hunt anymore, this is the last coues buck I killed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

@krp I live in 35a and am very familiar with 35b without going into detail could you give me a general idea of where Mt Washington is?

Last edited by JohnP; 06/25/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Zero offense taken. Its about as fun of a hunt as there is...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JohnP

It's only as miserable as you make it. I have hunted coues since 1961 and have had the opportunity to kill one each year. When we had four kids at home I shot the first legal buck that I could. After all the kids departed I only killed older bigger racked bucks. Never used a trail camera and never will. Due to some physical conditions, I don't/can't hunt anymore, this is the last coues buck I killed.

@krp I live in 35a and am very familiar with 35b without going into detail could you give me a general idea of where Mt Washington is?

Bomber...

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Between border and Duquene Rd. Top of Patagonia spine...

- Greg

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
[quote=Springcove It is definitely a bucket list item. Not getting any younger and need to start doing some research on it. [/quote]

I might be able to help ya out. I'm not getting any younger either I'll be 81 soon but if you are close enough to 35a send me a PM and we can discuss it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Apologies. I did not mean to sidetrack this thread. “Squirrel”…

Now I'm sidetracked!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

My god!! I think of bucks like that no less than 300 times a day 😂😂

Damn nice deer👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=Springcove It is definitely a bucket list item. Not getting any younger and need to start doing some research on it.

I might be able to help ya out. I'm not getting any younger either I'll be 81 soon but if you are close enough to 35a send me a PM and we can discuss it.
[/quote]

John that buck is an absolute stud. I appreciate the offer very much. I have a few things to scratch off my list before I can do a Couse hunt. I do need to start looking at Arizona regs to see what I’m looking at.

Thanks for sharing that picture of that buck. I didn’t know that they got that big.

Last edited by Springcove; 06/25/21.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Great buck!

Mt Washington is east of Nogales and Kino Springs on the border, taking the Duquesne road. We would camp at Sycamore, I hunted north from there and many times Guajalote peak hiking in.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have to say I hunted that higher country to get away from other hunters and illegals. The last year I hunted there I took my wife, she had started coming on all my hunts by then, We left the dead end and hiked up to a high saddle just under the peak I always liked, it was full of illegal trash, it shocked me as I've seen them on the low trails but never that high. I wasn't comfortable them invading my space with my wife there. I went to an easy place and shot a forky and left, never been back.

Kent

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thank you krp, I do know of the general area you described but never hunted it. The area I use to hunt in 35a has produced a few illegals but not many and I can count the number of hunters I have seen on one hand. I stopped deer hunting two years ago. This guy is taller and wider than the above picture and was destined for my wall and freezer the year I couldn't walk up the mountain. Hopefully, my daughter or grandson will tag him this year. The picture is not very clear, sorry about that.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I hunted 35a a couple times, I didn't have a tag, just helping some new hunters.

We camped on the east side of the Whetstones and hunted up from there.

One morning I had the most experienced guy out, he had killed a couple cow elk with me before. We were walking down a spine and it was going to drop off into a saddle below us. I told him we needed to sidehill off the spine and sneak around to check the saddle out. He didn't want to it was to hard walking. I told him to just sit tight and I'll check it out.

I drop off and sidehill around, there's a boomer buck under a mesquite at 80 yards in the saddle, looking uphill towards the lip of the spine. I back out of sight and see Greg walking along almost to the lip, I'm waving and jumping, he had no idea.

I climbed up to him and asked him, why didn't you shoot that buck... What buck?... the monster buck that was under that tree right there, pointing over the edge... HUH?... ya that's what I thought.

Kent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kent, 35b you mean?

- Greg

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I think it was 35a, road to Sierra Vista, French Joe caves? long time ago, 90s

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Maybe 34a or b now that I think about it.

Kent

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.