Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been wringing out an XD 'Mod.2 45 ACP Sub Compact’ for about a month and so far, really like it, I may pick up a 4" Service model to explore the 45 Super and/or 460 Rowland.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by TWR
While I don’t have a G21, I do have an M&P45 and an all steel full size 1911 in 45.

I shot the M&P in a match last month and thought man this thing is shooting soft, I mean the sights barely moved. After the match I shot my 1911 with the same ammo and the recoil difference was noticeable.

I shoot the 1911 probably a little more accurately but I’m faster with the M&P. The only G21 I’ve shot was not bad either.

The M&P45 is the softest shooting 45 I’ve ever shot. It also fits in the same holsters as my M&P9. 45 that feels no bigger than a 9mm. For it’s slimmer grip, you do lose 3 rounds with flush fit magazines compared to a G21.

If size isn’t a concern, the G41 is a winner as well.

Am I the only one who wishes Glock would stretch the grip on the G37 to fit 45 and 10mm? Even with less capacity, a 45 or 10mm the size of a G17 would be neat...

That M&P 45 frame has me interested.

Partly because S&W has come out with the 10mm version and I could use one as a test gun for ammo production, and the 10mm versions come with a slide cut for optics. I keep thinking that it may be possible to have a multi caliber gun, like I do with my large frame Glocks. My G21 .45 converts to 10mm in just about a minute, so I wonder if the same is possible for the S&W. I have heard some good things about the new S&W 10, as far as the handling characteristics, so it has my interest. Plus it would make a fine dual purpose lightweight gun when hiking in predator (Grizzly) country then going into town. One gun for both tasks.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have you fooled with the 45 Super any, Mackay?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a G21. I do have an M&P .45 and it is probably the best general purpose do anything anywhere .45 ACP I have ever owned. The M&P 10mm is very interesting to me also. With that said, I have a G20 10mm that I have killed deer, hogs, a cranky rattlesnake and had in my hand with a big boar black bear 20 yards away that seemed irritated at sharing the trail with me. I have a great deal of confidence in that G20 and fifteen 220 gr. hardcast at 1200 fps.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
M&P45 love:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
That looks nice. I would like to shoot some other striker fired 45’s just to compare them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
That looks nice. I would like to shoot some other striker fired 45’s just to compare them.

I would bet that most people would find the feel of that M&P in their hands superior to the feel of the Glock 21.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by viking

I would bet that most people would find the feel of that M&P in their hands superior to the feel of the Glock 21.

The Glock 21 frame is big. My Glock 41 (same frame) is a Gen4 and is as slim as it gets, and it’s still meaty. You do get 13+1 capacity. The M&P45 grip is the same width as the 9/40 frame, but its a bit longer from the back to front. If you are comfortable with a medium/medium-large M&P9/40 backstrap, the M&P45 with a small grip mod will feel real familiar.

Last edited by Gooch_McGrundle; 02/20/22.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Very little.

I played around with it many years ago in a G21. I had to fiddle with recoil springs and mag springs to handle it and finally considered a comp. I ended up deciding that I could simply roll with +P style ACP loads and achieve what I wanted and use the same mags and everything else, though a heavier recoil spring was (and is) often used.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Very little.

I played around with it many years ago in a G21. I had to fiddle with recoil springs and mag springs to handle it and finally considered a comp. I ended up deciding that I could simply roll with +P style ACP loads and achieve what I wanted and use the same mags and everything else, though a heavier recoil spring was (and is) often used.

I’m just now starting to change out springs to run different loads. I feel like most springs are “Winchester White Box” rated and full powered loads benefit from a heavier spring. Well, except the Gen4+ G19. I swear those have G23 recoil springs in them.

I’ve also noticed hammer-fired guns are oversprung and I almost always go to a lighter hammer spring. (I’m looking at you, SIG)

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Very little.

I’m just now starting to change out springs to run different loads. I feel like most springs are “Winchester White Box” rated and full powered loads benefit from a heavier spring. Well, except the Gen4+ G19. I swear those have G23 recoil springs in them.

I’ve also noticed hammer-fired guns are oversprung and I almost always go to a lighter hammer spring. (I’m looking at you, SIG)

Some years back I put a 24# Wolff spring in my G21 and loaded up some ammo a bit hotter than +P with 230gr XTPs. The ammo in the magazine was nose-diving and not feeding properly. I'm guessing from the slide slamming forward that much harder with the heavy spring.

I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and extra beating on the pistol.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Very little.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

724 members (163bc, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 77 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,727
Posts18,494,746
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.