Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I was hesitant to pull the trigger on a $60 bottle of bourbon but had a chance to have a glass of this and Eagle Rare 10 at a restaurant. Wow! This is really good bourbon! My two current favorites are 4 Roses Single Barrel and WT Rare Breed; this is better and worth the extra $. WT 101 and Larceny are my favorite everyday choices but I am an anxious to see how the Old Forester 100 compares.

As an aside Eagle Rare was disappointing but I may have also been underwhelmed since the 1920 was so good. I personally don't see the fascination with Buffalo Trace other than the Pappy-light lineage.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB4

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djb
I was hesitant to pull the trigger on a $60 bottle of bourbon but had a chance to have a glass of this and Eagle Rare 10 at a restaurant. Wow! This is really good bourbon! My two current favorites are 4 Roses Single Barrel and WT Rare Breed; this is better and worth the extra $. WT 101 and Larceny are my favorite everyday choices but I am an anxious to see how the Old Forester 100 compares.

As an aside Eagle Rare was disappointing but I may have also been underwhelmed since the 1920 was so good. I personally don't see the fascination with Buffalo Trace other than the Pappy-light lineage.

Blanton’s also comes out the Buffalo trace distillery. It’s all about warehouse H man. One of the most unique ric houses used by a distillery. From an article I found
“What’s the big deal about warehouse H? Well, it’s four stories high and has a 15,000 barrel capacity. That’s not what makes it special. What makes it special is the fact that it is the only warehouse on the Buffalo Trace property which has a wooden frame with corrugated metal cladding on the outside walls instead of the regular brick you find in almost all of the older distilleries in Kentucky. Because of the metal covering, it allows the temperatures in the warehouse to fluctuate drastically.”

Last edited by 79S; 06/28/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Funny, my brother was tickled to bring a bottle of Blanton's to my house last summer. We were excited to taste it and underwhelmed would be an understatement. I guess it does have a cool stopper...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dude from your palate notions go Elmer T. Lee. Blanton's is still numbero uno for special occasions with Buffalo Trace as more common use.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Eagle Rare and Old Forester are some of my favorites.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A little off topic but I have always had a bias for Old Forester because of a story a WW2 Marine Raider told me. As they battled for Mt. Yaetake on Okinawa in 1945 they got news that President Roosevelt had died. During a lull in the fighting the CO of A/1/4th Marines (Clint Eastment) gathered his runners and section leaders and pulled out a bottle of Old Forester to toast the President. Every year after that Eastment and the other survivors of that toast always drank Old Forester on April 12.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was able to pick up a couple more bottles off the 1920 this weekend to put in the cabinet. It is my favorite bourbon.

CK
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Milwroad
A little off topic but I have always had a bias for Old Forester because of a story a WW2 Marine Raider told me. As they battled for Mt. Yaetake on Okinawa in 1945 they got news that President Roosevelt had died. During a lull in the fighting the CO of A/1/4th Marines (Clint Eastment) gathered his runners and section leaders and pulled out a bottle of Old Forester to toast the President. Every year after that Eastment and the other survivors of that toast always drank Old Forester on April 12.

Cool story. Old Forester was able to stay open during prohibition due to being 'medicinal bourbon'.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I was able to pick up a couple more bottles off the 1920 this weekend to put in the cabinet. It is my favorite bourbon.

It may be mine also; I'm going to have a glass tonight. I hate paying over $40 for a bottle, but this was worth it. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The Bourbon Junkies on YouTube rate the 1920 very highly.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My friends and I are fans. Flavorful yet easy to drink at full 115 proof.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1920 is very good.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1920 is superb bourbon, and in my view, certainly the best readily available.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We need to quit talking about it in public. grin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Eagle Rare was a terriffic every day bourbon 15 years ago.
$36 for a handle of sweet rich bourbon with many flavors mixed in. Barrel spice was always right. Etc.
Since barrel purchases became widespread, I have seen a real drop off in quality. Never got a dud before, sometimes do now.
Its still good, but I'm hoping it gets back to what it was.

Last edited by kragman1; 06/28/21.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can get WT Rare Breed for $36 on occasion and keep at least 2 bottles in the bar at all times. One of my favorites. I can also get Blantons from time to time at retail, but think it's a bit overrated. I do have all the stoppers, but currently down to one unopened bottle and really not chasing it anymore. Eagle Rare is a good $30 bourbon. Too many places mark it up. Walmart across the street sells it for $29, and get it at least once a month.

Old Forester 1920 is good. I really need to try the 1910 and the other ones. Seems that folks get in line at Old Forrester on certain mornings for releases and get stuff not normally seen on the shelves, such as barrel strengths. On derby day, folks that got in line early were getting the Birthday Bourbon.

I tried Pikesville rye yesterday at a restaurant and really enjoyed that. Never had it before, but will be searching for a bottle now. Heaven Hill's gift shop ought to have it.

Last edited by scoony; 06/28/21.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Th Old Forester Whiskey Row series has some good stuff. The 1920 is very good and high octane! I actually like the 1910 a little better. I also really liked the 1870 but haven't been able to find that one locally for a couple of yrs.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I need to get restocked on 1910, 1920, and bottled in bond Forester's. Checked the cupboard, and inventory is not where I like it to be.

Arcus Venator

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,924
Posts18,479,785
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.