-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As many have pointed out, the Leica ER scopes are absolutely brilliant optically. But the models with target turrets fall short in that the turrets are too easy to turn and aren't tactile enough, at least for my liking. So I dug into a 3.5-14x42 and have found a few little tricks, that at least for me, helped enormously.

This is what the ER TT looks like:

[Linked Image]

Get started by unscrewing the slotted retaining screw atop the TT. This will allow you to remove finger turret and you'll be looking at this:

[Linked Image]

The next piece you'll need to remove is what I'll call the mid-cap. This is the piece that you loosen and spin when setting your scope turrets to zero. It's held on with two tiny hex screws. Loosen them and lift the mid-cap up and off the scope. At this point you'll have this view:

[Linked Image]

Take note of the small silver button/plunger on the front side of the surface that you have just exposed.

[Linked Image]

There is a tiny spring underneath this plunger. So be careful not to lose the plunger or the spring. Lift the plunger and the spring that fits inside the plunger, out of the scope to a work surface.

*At the heart the mushy turret is the little spring. A much stiffer little spring would solve the issue. And since I didn't have, or go buy, a stiffer spring...I worked with what I had on hand.

[Linked Image]

I've found a couple of things that help out the soft turret situation that exists...

I shoved a couple of tiny bits of flannel patch down into the hole in which the spring sits. This just shortens the working range of the spring and creates more upward force of the plunger when seated atop the more greatly compressed spring. While I was at it, I pulled the spring a bit to lengthen it, but the tiny bits of patch in the hole seem to do more during my time of trial and error.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/al...-BE5C-28088CEFF8F5_zpsxhpqqey6.jpg[/img]

It's now time to reassemble. Be sure that your filler underneath the spring is at the bottom of the hole. If it sat up the sides of the spring within the hole, I couldn't get the mid-cap to "re-seat" as it is supposed to.

And one more thing that helped... When the mid-cap is placed back on, push down rather firmly on the top of the mid-cap and snug the hex screws. This packs the spring more tightly against your filler (on the bottom) and the plunger (on its top), and then the plunger is more firmly engaged against the bottom of the mid-cap.

Then just put the top back on and, if your experience is the same as mine, you'll have a much more desirable TT with regard to its field function. Good luck. If anything, this is just overly simple, but it worked for me.

Tim

Last edited by MShuntfish; 01/11/15.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good info.

It would be nice if someone could come up with a similar fix to tighten up the Leupold CDS.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Was just sitting here trying to figure out how to tighten the turrets on my Leica too. Was considering selling it and going a different direction before now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,119
Posts18,502,341
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.