Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dig most gins.
Some of the craft ones are pretty bad, as is much of the craft spirits in general, but the main line gins are fine for my palate.

Usually get Beefeater.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made several runs of Gose that I flavored with juniper berry, coriander, and lime.

Was absolutely a killer summer beer.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
Recently got my introduction to gin with a bottle of Old Raj, Saffron infused. Hard to know how it rates against other brands, being my first try with gin. Any opinions on this brand?

I was advised to try Plymouth, Navy Strength, for my next entry.

Fever Tree Tonic seems to be quite popular.

I'd recommend something like Beefeater or Gordon's. That is never a bad option. From there you can try and see which more botanical types you like. Baseline is it's a spirit infused with juniper berries during the distillation process, from there different distilleries add different herbs and plants to add flavor try and be unique.

The only really "unique" flavor is the one with mint in it I referenced earlier. The gin in my op has a slight minty aftertaste as well, though they don't list it in the ingredients.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker
OK this is getting a little swishy. Hints, notes, botanicals, JFC! sounds like a bunch of pinky hoisting wine twinkies discussing wokeness at the French Laundry w/ gavin.

A handle of nappy head, Schweppes sugar free tonic and fresh limes. Fill a 16 beer glass w/ ice+a double shot of gin, top w/ tonic , squeeze in a 1/4 lime. Repeat as needed.

This post was completed while enjoying my 2nd proving that my formula makes you smart and good looking w/out making you spel badd.

mike r

hahah swishy? Diet tonic?
pfffft

Equal parts gin and tonic over a lime wedge and 4 ice cubes in a pint glass. If the gin is good enough you can skip the lime.

This Boodles's ain't bad. But I'm not in love with it either.

Gin is like vodka, lots of cheap shidt out there that you can mix and never know how bad it is. Pour a little in a glass and try it neat. If it's awful then it's awful. If it burns a bit but is smooth and tastes good then it's good.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe vodka is vodka, for the most part, but gin is a different animal.

"Diet" tonic is donkey piss. I'd rather use no tonic at all than use diet tonic.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I believe vodka is vodka, for the most part, but gin is a different animal.

"Diet" tonic is donkey piss. I'd rather use no tonic at all than use diet tonic.

Made that mistake ONE time, didn't look close enough at the label. Holy balls was that awful.

Gin is much more complex, but (in my estimation) it holds true. A good vodka you can drink neat. Same with a good gin. Cheap shidt is like drinking rubbing alcohol.

MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Fever Tree for tonic.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I once decided I would only drink gin, you know, to cut back, since it's so rank. Then developed a taste for it... Oops, that didn't work any better than whiskey, rum, vodka - just better than tequila.... 😛

Enjoy.

I did that too, switched to gin to cut back then one night all heck broke loose. It was a failure.

I have had Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, some cheap carap I can not remember the name of.

Any more, I like Amsterdam. G&T with good tonic and lime, or I channel my inner Ruark and mix gin and lemonade. I have also started adding a touch to Mikes hard lemonade, very refreshing and brings a little extra flavor to the Mike's.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CRS
I once decided I would only drink gin, you know, to cut back, since it's so rank. Then developed a taste for it... Oops, that didn't work any better than whiskey, rum, vodka - just better than tequila.... 😛

Enjoy.

I did that too, switched to gin to cut back then one night all heck broke loose. It was a failure.

I have had Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, some cheap carap I can not remember the name of.

Any more, I like Amsterdam. G&T with good tonic and lime, or I channel my inner Ruark and mix gin and lemonade. I have also started adding a touch to Mikes hard lemonade, very refreshing and brings a little extra flavor to the Mike's.

Adding chick liquor to chick drinks?
Pass the brown liquor and ice.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by CRS

Enjoy.

Ice? And you called him a chick laugh

MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Green Ant Gin
Green Ant Gin

That has bugs in it........

The only really "unique" flavor is the one with mint in it I referenced earlier. The gin in my op has a slight minty aftertaste as well, though they don't list it in the ingredients.

If eating an ants ass isn’t unique I don’t know what is

Green Ants

The abdomen of green ants can be eaten. Simply pick up a living ant between fingertips and bite off the green abdomen. The taste is impressive for such a small item. You get a powerful lemon flavoured burst. Not suitable for a meal due to the small size, the abdomen of green ants is more like a breath mint. The entire ant can be eaten too, but usually not whilst living, unless you want them to pinch your tongue and mouth.

[Linked Image from outbackjoe.files.wordpress.com]

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 07/01/21.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by CRS

Enjoy.

I drink what I like, and could GAF what other people think. cool If I don't like it, why drink it? Prove I can drink/eat something that I think tastes like crap. crazy

I had brown liquor neat last night with my ribeye. Redwood Empire, good solid bourbon. Very drinkable, not outstanding or horrible. My preference is for bourbon, scotch and dark beers during late fall, winter, and early spring. When the temps are lower. I lighten up when the temps start to rise.

My latest addition to the collection is 12yo knob creek, but I must not sidetrack this discussion. Oh, the travesty, I actually like Jack Daniels on the rocks too. shocked

I even have the fancy big round and square ice cubes sometimes, and have made old fashioned's and classic whiskey sours. Just depends on whatever mood/taste is at the time.
My daily go to Covid test has been JD neat, if I can smell it and taste it, I don't have covid. laugh

Last edited by CRS; 07/01/21.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by CRS

Enjoy.

My "gin problem" turned out to be Friday mornings. Lived in a college town at the time, was nearly young enough and Thursday night was lively. Damnit I liked that stuff, and the gin.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Green Ant Gin
Green Ant Gin

That has bugs in it........

If eating an ants ass isn’t unique I don’t know what is

Green Ants

The abdomen of green ants can be eaten. Simply pick up a living ant between fingertips and bite off the green abdomen. The taste is impressive for such a small item. You get a powerful lemon flavoured burst. Not suitable for a meal due to the small size, the abdomen of green ants is more like a breath mint. The entire ant can be eaten too, but usually not whilst living, unless you want them to pinch your tongue and mouth.

[Linked Image from outbackjoe.files.wordpress.com]

If I see it I'm definitely going to buy a bottle.

MAGA
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

grin

I think you should drink whiskey/bourbon however you like it. Be it neat, ice, or with water. Some bourbons taste best neat, some with ice and other diluted with water. That is what the distilleries do when it comes out of the barrel to make proof. They just dilute it down with water.

I personally do not like the barrel proof bourbons, alcohol is too strong and ruins the flavor with burn.

For the life of me, I can not figure out why anyone drinks vodka. No taste at all.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My gin always becomes a martini so bone dry London style works. I have no issue with Gordons.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Monopolowa

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ledvm
Monopolowa

That's a very good one as well. When it first showed up here a couple years ago it was $12.50 a bottle. It's double that now, but still worth it.

I saw some pickle flavored whiskey that keeps catching my eye at one place. Might have to try it.

MAGA
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 219DW, 270cowboy, 63 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.