Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Glad situation has improved

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
My friend did come through. He's old and grumpy, just like I am. I left him a little bit of a terse message, and he called right back after that third message. We shook hands like men do and were both a bit ashamed...laughed about it and it's forgotten.

I want to thank everyone here who sent messages of support. I hate feeling helpless, but we sometimes are helpless. It is what it is, but good wishes and thoughts have me counting blessings, not cursing fate.

L2S

I am very glad for you. I'd sure hate to helplessly see my own world consumed by fire.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
As long as people are allowed to purchase real estate and build in what is called outlying forestry areas they’re gonna get burned out! What amount of IQ does it require to avoid these areas remains a mystery!!

The same IQ people have had for the last 400 years in this country. Like the same people that build in floodplains and live in Tornado Alley.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
At some point in time, one would think we would start asking questions about the ability of the USFS to accomplish it's mission. The 20,000 acre Lava fire, contained on day 1 and then abandoned (see San Francisco Chronicle public apology) only to explode the next day has now cut the main Pacific Coast freight routes, US Hwy 97-closed..Interstate 5-closed, Burlington Railroad, Calif to Wash. closed long term. The only north-south highway capable of any freight volume is US 395, 2 lane, numerous mountain grades. USFS epic fail..I'm not ranking on the young folks on the firelines...I'm ranking management, USFS has become a primarily feminist run agency...with predictable results.

It sucks but they might have been trying to pull some resources based on weather for the next week. Or maybe they had another start somewhere. I have been in that scenario and it didn't go good. Some dumbass chief decided we didn't need out dozers and helicopters in spite of our local winds kicking up in the next 2 hours. Yep, it hit the fan and we lost 9 homes after the copters were pulled.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
At some point in time, one would think we would start asking questions about the ability of the USFS to accomplish it's mission. The 20,000 acre Lava fire, contained on day 1 and then abandoned (see San Francisco Chronicle public apology) only to explode the next day has now cut the main Pacific Coast freight routes, US Hwy 97-closed..Interstate 5-closed, Burlington Railroad, Calif to Wash. closed long term. The only north-south highway capable of any freight volume is US 395, 2 lane, numerous mountain grades. USFS epic fail..I'm not ranking on the young folks on the firelines...I'm ranking management, USFS has become a primarily feminist run agency...with predictable results.

Same kind of stupidity back in 2013 with the RIM Fire in central CA. A plane loaded with retardant spotted it when it had just begun and they could have dropped their load to end it right then and there. BUT they radioed in for permission to drop their load on it and put it out and were denied because it would pollute the Clavey river right next to it. Stupid f ucks ended up letting over 250K acres burn before they got a handle on it. Ended up polluting miles and miles of several rivers because of dumb asses sitting in offices many miles from reality making dumbass decisions simply by looking at maps on walls.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Marquez...it was a 1/4 acre lightning spot fire, manned and completely surrounded with a hand line, when it was turned over to USFS. The Feds decided about 8 years ago it was too dangerous to fight fire at night so they walked off of it to return late next morning to a 220 acre fire at the time of day when the thermal winds pick up on the west slope of Mt Shasta. Also Feds and Calfire have decided that firefighting is too dangerous for amateurs like logging crews, so now only the pros can do it. No more temporary hire pick up crews signed up during lightning events...with predictable results. They shot themselves in the foot, incompetent sons of bitches can own it, meanwhile the huge body of administrative employees have been at home for 18 months on full pay because covid makes it too dangerous to go to work.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad

WTH, I hadn't heard about them having it contained and letting it get away. Started smelling smoke from that one, the Tennant, and maybe from some small ones near Canby last night at our place. Was quite smoky in Tulelake, Merril, and K falls yesterday. Imagine it's worse today.

And, wonder of wonders, in this heat wave and likely a near record drought, the powers that be still are allowing giant tents full of fireworks to be sold in Southern Oregon. One was to benefit the local Moose Lodge. God forbid the Mooses lose out on a season of fireworks sales.

I guarantee no one, not a single person, from NorCal went to OR to buy fireworks this year. And none of them would be so bright as to light them off around here. wink

Oh well, can't regulate stupidity, so maybe not a worry about those big tents.

On a side note, I had a trip over to Ashland and I like the OR 66 road, little traffic, stop at Tub Springs and fill my water bottles in the car. So I head out of Ashland after my appointment and get to where the hill starts and what's in front of me? A friggen WalMart trailer. Heading up a length restricted road. Conventional tractor with a sleeper, CRST leased to Wally's. 53' trailer. Had to be close to or over 75' and the limit for logging trucks, is 65' and they're articulated double trailer rigs. I'm betting he got to Ashland, found out 5 south was closed, didn't want to turn around and head back to Medford and take the truck route, and his GPS sent him up 66!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He hadn't even reached the really twisty sections and he couldn't keep the wheels in his lane:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

When I got down neared to Keno another rig of the same sort was headed over the hill the other way. I wonder how many tried that route overnight? I wonder if any went into or over a guard rail..............where they exist. Coming down that hill into Ashland will test a set of brakes.

Yep and near the Greensprings eatery, the road was down to one lane last year. The southside lane fell into the bar ditch, about fifty feet into the ditch. Your real close to my deer hunting country there!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
And another thing, since I'm venting here. My son is a private timberlands manager, they have a small piece of 4 sections of timber just 6 miles north of the Lava Fire, so 2 days ago, he rounds up a couple lowboys and a couple dozers and is going to doze a line between the fire and company property...you think the AUTHORITIES would let them thru the roadblock to try to preserve it? Hell no, and the really sad part is, the yo-yo with the gun didn't know who to contact to try to get permission...all Barney Fife knew, was they told him not to let any traffic through unless it was a fire vehicle...and BY God Barney followed orders.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Safari, hope you dodge this one. Bureaucracies like the forest service often get snared in their chain of command and have numerous useless twits embedded in the decision making process.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by hanco

+1!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by hanco

+1!!!!

+2!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's getting tense now. Another fire started just below this one, and they might connect, stretching resources. Having any property in the mountains or our sagebrush country is always a crapshoot.

To add insult to injury I pulled the 5th wheel trailer around by the old garage with low hanging power lines when I brought it back and ripped out all electrical power to my home and well. Been living on three generators and water hauled from neighbors since Friday...just before a holiday weekend. When I do it, I do it right. blush blush blush

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's getting tense now. Another fire started just below this one, and they might connect, stretching resources. Having any property in the mountains or our sagebrush country is always a crapshoot.

To add insult to injury I pulled the 5th wheel trailer around by the old garage with low hanging power lines when I brought it back and ripped out all electrical power to my home and well. Been living on three generators and water hauled from neighbors since Friday...just before a holiday weekend. When I do it, I do it right. blush blush blush

Ohhh chit! Wishing you a better luck filled 4th!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Geez, luv2safari. That sucks.

Might as well start drinkin'.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So far, nothing that can't be fixed!

I'm worrying for you, but grateful it hasn't been worse!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

When it rains it pours... hopefully.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And another thing, since I'm venting here. My son is a private timberlands manager, they have a small piece of 4 sections of timber just 6 miles north of the Lava Fire, so 2 days ago, he rounds up a couple lowboys and a couple dozers and is going to doze a line between the fire and company property...you think the AUTHORITIES would let them thru the roadblock to try to preserve it? Hell no, and the really sad part is, the yo-yo with the gun didn't know who to contact to try to get permission...all Barney Fife knew, was they told him not to let any traffic through unless it was a fire vehicle...and BY God Barney followed orders.

Get the can of spray paint out and write " Fire Vehicle" on the side of the dozers. Grease gun and finger painting if need be.

Say "there you go Barney Fife".

Gotta love dealing with these folks sometimes.

Sheesh!

Did they ever get their equipment up there? Did the agencies get eqpt up there? How are they doing? I saw last night that one was 25K acres or some such now, and the Tennnant was around 10K acres.

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/04/21.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bruce,

hindsight says..............watch where that trailer's going.

Hope all works out in the end.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
No, none, zero.... self made civilian made firelines according to the authorities. In a teleconference Friday, the Forest Service said they had 100% confidence the north line (county highway A 12) would hold. Son said ok , if thats the law.(14 people arrested so far driving around the roadblock).

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well scheidt, I guess they at least have A12 there.

But if I had a dozer and private property, I'd have to do some "landscaping" so I could say I didn't make a fireline.

I bet the roads are closed to that area coming in from the east too?

Well, I wish your kid's company lands the best.

In it is contentment

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,951
Posts18,519,264
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.