Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My buddies and I are going on our second elk hunt this fall in Montana. We went with a guide last fall to get a feel for it and had a great time. This time around we will be doing it ourselves and staying a bit longer. Last time was a five day hunt, this time we are planning for a full week of hunting. Like last time, we are renting a house to come back to in the evening but, I and one of my buddies are preparing for spending a night or two out in the field if we think it will improve our odds of success. My other buddy is being reluctant. He is saying we are going to
freeze and that elk move too much for it to make sense.

Our line of thinking is that if we find a herd or some bulls that we want to go after late in the day, we would be better off staying in the field for the evening rather than hiking back to the truck and driving back to the house for the night. What do those of you with experience think? This will be Bitterroot MT in November, so we know there could be lots of snow, rain and freezing temps. My one friend that is on my side and I are open to buying a quality tent and sleeping bag for the event. We’ll probably just eat MREs and forego and type of stove or anything like that.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a MT local who has hunted them via most methods, my favorite is to backpack in and spend night(s) out. Instead of walking in @ 0-dark-hundred, it's more productive to wake up just before first light already in elk country, ready to glass, cut a track, or whatever.

But if you've never backpacked or spent the night out in cold conditions you'll need to learn a few things... but everything can be learned.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Would never consider that without the lwt stove for a hot meal
. Yes I have camped in snow and cold. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have never "spike camped" while hunting for elk. I hunted elk for many years out of an old military wall tent with a wood stove and good gear. We took the time to set up early so the ground was dry and not covered in snow when we needed to use camp. We had firewood cut and a wood stove. We had food etc (plenty in case we were snowed in or someone needed it in an emergency). You will have to have a way to dry your gear if needed, you will need food as you mentioned, water etc. You would need to carry sleeping gear to stay warm etc. That is all fine if that is what you want to do, but I would consider just making a base camp closer to where you want to hunt. Just my experience. I have never had good enough gear, or been in good enough shape to hike in for a day or two and carry elk out in multiple trips. My trips are more like half day hunts from camp, or long day hunts if its warranted.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've done a fair bit of snow/winter camping, backpacking & hunting. A lightweight backpacker's stove is wonderful thing to have! smile

Guy

IC B2

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks, Brad. I always value your input and have already done some searching on things like tents and sleeping bags. I do have some pretty good navigation skills. My buddies and I all served in the Marines together and I studied forestry. Camping out with non-GI issue gear will be new, but I think we’ll survive.

What are your thoughts specifically on finding a target animal late in the day and camping out in hopes of getting on the same elk the following day. Is my buddy’s assertion correct? Do elk move too much for that approach to be effective? I’m of the mindset that if we watch an animal until nightfall, it shouldn’t be too far away the next morning as long as it doesn’t get spooked. Thoughts?

Thanks again for your input!

-Jeff

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
When y’all say stove, are y’all talking about the little butane jobs that you use to heat up food or water in a little pot? Thanks everyone!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
When y’all say stove, are y’all talking about the little butane jobs that you use to heat up food or water in a little pot? Thanks everyone!

No.A wood burning stove capable of heating the tent.I heartily suggest you get a little bit more experience before you undertake a hunt that you are proposing.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore

No.A wood burning stove capable of heating the tent.I heartily suggest you get a little bit more experience before you undertake a hunt that you are proposing.

Thanks, Saddlesore . I appreciate the sage advice.

I’m aware of the wall tents and wood burning stoves and know that’s one way to do it. I have tent camped here in Texas in freezing weather. Am I ignorant in thinking that a good cold weather sleeping bag and quality tent to keep us out of the rain or snow would be sufficient?

The goal isn’t to set up a camp for the entire hunt. We will likely be spending most nights in a house. The purpose of any nights in the field would be to stay on top of the elk and have an early crack at them when the sun comes up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well a small packable stove was what I meant. I understood you to state a small backpack tent and bag for an overnight stay in the vicinity of the elk. I'd have a small lwt stove to boil h20 on period. Hot food it s value can't be overstated. Oak and saddlesore are talking wall tent camping. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should you be in the field? If you see a herd move out of the timber right before dark, be there before light in the morning because in all likelihood they'll still be there. I've seen it many times and have scored on a number of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well a small packable stove was what I meant. I understood you to state a small backpack tent and bag for an overnight stay in the vicinity of the elk. I'd have a small lwt stove to boil h20 on period. Hot food it s value can't be overstated. Oak and saddlesore are talking wall tent camping. Mb

Agree with you on the hot meal, MB. I have had many cold meals and know how nice a hot meal can be, but we’re going to kill elk, not eat fine meals.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Should you be in the field? If you see a herd move out of the timber right before dark, be there before light in the morning because in all likelihood they'll still be there. I've seen it many times and have scored on a number of them.

That’s one of the points I was looking for and what I suspected. I know elk can move and cover a lot of distance quickly. In this scenario, I’m talking about finding undisturbed elk and sleeping where we can get to them at first light. I’m a whitetail hunter and have very limited elk experience, but I just couldn’t see why elk would make a big move in the middle of the night without having a good reason to do that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wasn't talking fine meals was talking enough heat to boil water for instant coffee , tea bag, or freeze dried. I take a 5 oz tuna can with a couple of wires thru the top to hold a Sierra cup, fuel with trioxane heat tabs( GI) whole kit don't weigh sh*t but gets the job done. Brad was right you got alot to learn by your own no more unwanted comments from me. Mb

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Wasn't talking fine meals was talking enough heat to boil water for instant coffee , tea bag, or freeze dried. I take a 5 oz tuna can with a couple of wires thru the top to hold a Sierra cup, fuel with trioxane heat tabs( GI) whole kit don't weigh sh*t but gets the job done. Brad was right you got alot to learn by your own no more unwanted comments from me. Mb

I don’t think I read your comment correctly and certainly didn’t mean to be contrarian. Just trying to understand what people with more experience do when they are out in the elements.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Sounds like only one or two nights are planned. Prepare for the basics. Warmth, staying dry, calories, water.

I've not hunted like that, but I've back packed a bit. Cold weather, and exertion demand calories. Don't skimp. Same with foot wear. Your feet demand great care in that situation.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If your far enough in to warrant staying the night how you gonna get your gear and an elk to the truck?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
`

Make damn sure someone knows were this so called camp out sleep over is located i have spent to many days looking for people that didn't know the mountains, that got in way over their heads, not all of them turned out well.
listen to Saddlesore, and others that have years of camping and hunting in Colorado, Rio7

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you can't survive something like this,best make other plans.This happen s more often than not .

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sherm_61
If your far enough in to warrant staying the night how you gonna get your gear and an elk to the truck?

Really wouldn’t be all that far from the truck. Probably 3 miles, max. This will be a backpack hunt, and the plan for most nights would be to walk back to the truck, drive back to the house, eat, shower, maintain gear, sleep, wake, eat, drive back out and hike back to that day’s hunting spot. That in itself is hours of hiking and driving that could be avoided. I also see benefit in not driving back in the following morning and humping back into the spot where we left elk the evening before.

To Saddlesore’s point, we would have no intention of staying out in a blizzard. I get the point that weather can change without warning, but just like boating, or anything outdoors, paying attention to weather reports and radar will be our standard for conducting movements and potential nights in the field.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'm with saddlesore ..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Bitterroot is big, steep country. I am there right now, at my mom's house.

I have spent a few unexpected nights out on the mountain around here during the elk season in November, without a tent or sleeping bag. It wasn't the Waldorf Astoria, but if a guy can't handle one uncomfortable night out without a hot meal then he has issues. It can get cold for sure, but it rarely is so cold that it becomes unsafe (but it can happen in November). A hatchet may be nice for a small fire if desired but I wouldn't sweat it to not have one and I rarely make fires when hunting. If you do find a herd that is too far to go after in the evening, then I would for sure consider staying the night right where you're at. There are situations when it makes sense and several places in the Bitterroot don't have roads to get you any closer to where you may want to go in the morning.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have done it lots of times in September chasing archery elk. More than once with no tent. Watch the weather November can get cold. I have the luxury of coming back next week and use it. Hunting in November with enough gear in a pack to spend a comfortable night out or two means a heavy pack every day. I would travel light with the gear needed to take care of an elk once down and made a couple of pack out trips the next day. I like to hunt from camp and cut my sleep short if needed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It’s called camping. Have you ever backpack camped in the winter? Then got up real early and leave camp in the dark? Thats what you’ll be doing. It aint rocket surgery. Just the same as if you were day hunting, you need to have a plan in place for:
-staying warm
-getting lost
-getting wet
-getting hurt
-transporting meat
-food and water

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Without someway to warm up and dry out clothes and boots if one ran into some snow and single or below digit temps you can run into problems. Having to survive a night in inclement weather in a survival situation is one thing but to go spartan and then plan on hunting from a spartan camp, especially without heat, is asinine. Too many things can go wrong. Don't get me wrong , it's doable, but not advisable.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've done " OK" in the winter with a small 3 season tent, a good bag and a pocket rocket stove to cook with, but if you can add handle a little more in your pack, I've been much more comfortable in my seek outside tipi/titanium woodstove.
Just make sure you and your pack can handle both camp and full game bags.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
So, I won't comment on whether you should do it or not. One thing I will suggest is an equipment choice. While there are plenty of good/light bags/quilts out there, I would suggest a system that has a Gore-Tex shell. Since you are a Marine, I would suggest looking for the Mil Surplus 4/5 piece Modular Sleep Systems. Make sure you get the patrol bag, intermediate bag, and bivy cover at least. The whole system will be comfortable down to at least 0 and cost ~$200 (or less depending on how close you are now to a base). Weight for the 4 piece system is around 9 pounds, but you are going to have a hard time getting a commercial system that works as well for the price/weight that the USGI system provides.

I do agree with others that if you can do a tipi/woodstove as well for heating water and drying clothes it would be much better. Also, having heated water will help a LOT with getting/staying warm. Put heated water in to a nalgene bottle, wrap it in a sock (helps dry out the sock too) and put it in the foot of your sleeping bag. Will make for a MUCH better sleeping experience.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Its absolutely doable, if 2 of you plan to stay out you can split the extra pack load. Look for a used lightweight teepee and titanium stove on places like rokslide. Food tent stove and sleeping bag/pad will be around 10lbs each. Even just a good bag and a cheap tarp or tent will be fine for a night or two. Spent my honeymoon in a Walmart eureka tent in subzero Montana temps hunting muledeer. Attitude and a good bag will get you by just fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Something else about seeing a herd of elk at last light - this hunt is in Nov. Quite often after the rut the bulls will go into hiding for a while. They won't be with the cows. It's not uncommon to see 40 or 50 cows and not a single bull. They're close by but stay hidden for a while, maybe into Dec. We were hunting cows last Nov in so. Idaho. We saw one herd that might have been 200 cows and we couldn't see a single bull in the crowd.
The year before, I spotted a dozen or so way up high shortly before dark. I wasn't able to tell what they were so I started climbing I climbed maybe 800' in elevation before I got a good look - all bulls. I found the bachelor herd with a cow tag in my pocket. Meanwhile, one of my partners found the cows. They weren't very far away but it was getting too dark to get on them and we weren't fixed to spend the night there. This was in late Oct.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You absolutely do not need a wood stove. I've backpacked, skied, climbed in winter conditions spending many nights out down to -20F with no fire of any kind. It's done all the time. And building a fire in Montana is the simplest thing in the world given the abundance of dry wood.

You're only going to be in a few miles in. You're a Marine. Get a 0 - 15F sleeping bag, pad, light tent or tarp, pack and a decent backpack stove. You'll figure out the rest!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It's doable and I've done it, but there's two problems with backpacking for elk. The first is extraction. Any place that you can't walk out in a couple hours is going to be a VERY long process. Second, you need to have enough stuff to survive not just a night in the snow, but if something goes wrong like say wet equiptment + blizard. That means you need more calories, more fuel, and more warm when wet gear than you're going to want to carry. There all kind of ways to go "lightweight" and some of that gear is expensive but good. Some of it trades weight for survival margin in bad situations.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I agree that no wood burning stove is required or really even desired IMO. A backpacking stove that can produce hot water is an important hedge against hypothermia though. You can eat MREs under normal conditions and never fire it up, but you should have it.

I also like an expedition type tent where you can run the stove in the tent, even though those are out of fashion.

You want redundant and reliable ways to make a fire. I cary waterproof matches, a lighter, cotton balls with vasoline on them in a baggie, and a miniature road flare. The road flare can start a fire in totally wet wood, which is valuable.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/04/21.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jeffrey:

Since you have never gone on a hunt on-you-own (a guided/outfitted hunt doesn't count), here are some tips from someone who has been an avid camper, backpacked and backpack hunter for seventy years.

1. Don't go on your first backpack trip and make it an elk hunt. That could be dangerous.

2. Forget the idea of renting a house, motel or any other kind of lodging. There’s a problem with sleeping in a motel or lodge because it’s not located in prime elk habitat and you have to spend time in the morning and evening traveling between where you are staying and where you are hunting. So, you either have to spend less time hunting or less time sleeping.

3. I suggest that you camp at the trailhead. But you shouldn't do that without some practice. Get some good gear, including a four-season tent and sleeping bags rated at 0°. Do your first camping in your back yard. Then do some camping near your home. After a few trips and a few mistakes from which you learn, then take what you’ve learned into the hills. I see you're from Texas. Texas has some excellent state parks with campgrounds. That's a good place to start.

4. I hope that you own an SUV or 4x4 pickup. Drive that to the end of the road, at a wilderness area boundary. Setup your camp there and day hike in from that camp to do your hunting.

5. Remember that elk hunting will probably be done in the cold and snow. So be prepared. That's why you need a 4-season tent and warm sleeping bags.

Last edited by KC; 07/04/21.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Completely agree with number 2

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Showers are nice but certainly not needed, especially in Nov. You'll be shivering, not sweating. A pack of these things or maybe some baby wipes will take care of your hygienic needs just fine.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For the colder weather make sure you have insulated boots or packs that are up to the challenge.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddies and I are going on our second elk hunt this fall in Montana. We went with a guide last fall to get a feel for it and had a great time. This time around we will be doing it ourselves and staying a bit longer. Last time was a five day hunt, this time we are planning for a full week of hunting. Like last time, we are renting a house to come back to in the evening but, I and one of my buddies are preparing for spending a night or two out in the field if we think it will improve our odds of success. My other buddy is being reluctant. He is saying we are going to

Our line of thinking is that if we find a herd or some bulls that we want to go after late in the day, we would be better off staying in the field for the evening rather than hiking back to the truck and driving back to the house for the night. What do those of you with experience think? This will be Bitterroot MT in November, so we know there could be lots of snow, rain and freezing temps. My one friend that is on my side and I are open to buying a quality tent and sleeping bag for the event. We’ll probably just eat MREs and forego and type of stove or anything like that.

May I ask (roughly) where you're planning to go? The Bitterroot is a long valley. Some trailheads are near densely populated areas and others are a fair drive from town, though there are some lodges randomly scattered around the valley. I think the Sapphires generally has better hunting than the Bitterroots, though the scenery isn't as good.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by KC

Jeffrey:

Since you have never gone on a hunt on-you-own (a guided/outfitted hunt doesn't count), here are some tips from someone who has been an avid camper, backpacked and backpack hunter for seventy years.

1. Don't go on your first backpack trip and make it an elk hunt. That could be dangerous.

2. Forget the idea of renting a house, motel or any other kind of lodging. There’s a problem with sleeping in a motel or lodge because it’s not located in prime elk habitat and you have to spend time in the morning and evening traveling between where you are staying and where you are hunting. So, you either have to spend less time hunting or less time sleeping.

3. I suggest that you camp at the trailhead. But you shouldn't do that without some practice. Get some good gear, including a four-season tent and sleeping bags rated at 0°. Do your first camping in your back yard. Then do some camping near your home. After a few trips and a few mistakes from which you learn, then take what you’ve learned into the hills. I see you're from Texas. Texas has some excellent state parks with campgrounds. That's a good place to start.

4. I hope that you own an SUV or 4x4 pickup. Drive that to the end of the road, at a wilderness area boundary. Setup your camp there and day hike in from that camp to do your hunting.

5. Remember that elk hunting will probably be done in the cold and snow. So be prepared. That's why you need a 4-season tent and warm sleeping bags.

This may sound like good advice, but it is really ambitious. If you are capable of this recipe, by all means go for it, but anyone that spends that much time in a tent in those conditions, you could get tired of it short of your allotted time.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61

Really wouldn’t be all that far from the truck. Probably 3 miles, max. This will be a backpack hunt, and the plan for most nights would be to walk back to the truck, drive back to the house, eat, shower, maintain gear, sleep, wake, eat, drive back out and hike back to that day’s hunting spot. That in itself is hours of hiking and driving that could be avoided. I also see benefit in not driving back in the following morning and humping back into the spot where we left elk the evening before.

To Saddlesore’s point, we would have no intention of staying out in a blizzard. I get the point that weather can change without warning, but just like boating, or anything outdoors, paying attention to weather reports and radar will be our standard for conducting movements and potential nights in the field.

If its only 3 miles I'm walking in the dark in the mourning, ive done it many times. Its amazing how well you can see when your eyes are adjusted to the dark and even better if there's snow on the ground. You can actually see better without a flashlight and animals are pretty calm in the dark as long as they dont smell you. If your worried about time wall tent at a trailhead or closer to hunting then you can dry out or have decent food and forget staying in town.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman

May I ask (roughly) where you're planning to go? The Bitterroot is a long valley. Some trailheads are near densely populated areas and others are a fair drive from town, though there are some lodges randomly scattered around the valley. I think the Sapphires generally has better hunting than the Bitterroots, though the scenery isn't as good.

We’ll be in unit 270 near Sula. We definitely saw several good areas last year and a few shooters. Closest we came to tagging one was an opportunity I decided not to take on a young bull. Shot was 380ish yards with a heavy crosswind and several cows around him. I think I made the right choice in not shooting, but I can still see that elk in my crosshairs.

The last day we found one old bull with a couple younger guys with him. It was the last day. Im confident if we could have woken up in the vicinity the following morning we would have gotten one of those bulls.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Joezone
For the colder weather make sure you have insulated boots or packs that are up to the challenge.

We all have good boots and packs. We will have to invest in a good tent and sleeping bags.

Somebody mentioned the GI sleeping system earlier. I remember that system well and it definitely did the job, but it also compressed down to about the size of a beachball and weighed a ton. I’ll be looking for a good, backpacking cold weather bag.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by KC

Jeffrey:

We’ll be hunting the same area and time of year that we all hunted last year. Of course it could all be different, but last time we were in deep snow and had a blast. Saw lots of elk too. Just would like to avoid driving to and from the field every day. My one reluctant friend is not wanting to give up his creature comforts. Hank’s for the advice. This gives us something to consider.

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Stop over thinking it. Spike camp for a night or two can be productive and fun. Since I normally elk hunt solo I carry in my pack the minimum to spend a night in the woods. I may not be very comfortable but I'm going to survive. Be safe but don't be a pussy about it either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KLM
Be safe but don't be a pussy about it either.

This is the correct answer.

I have had people (on this forum and elsewhere) tell me how reckless I was, and was taking my life into my own hands because I don't carry all the luxuries that they seem to need.

I spike camp during hunting season all the time with just a sleeping bag and Walmart special tarp, and 1-2 times a year I spend the night hunkered underneath a tree without a sleeping bag at all. It isn't comfortable but my god, it isn't that bad. I also next to never build a fire, for various reasons and usually don't carry any kind of a stove to make a hot meal.

If I do build a fire it usually is just to heat up a can of stew real quick and not to stay warm or dry anything out.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I learned the hard way that killing an elk a long way from the truck in rough country turns the hunt into type 2 fun. It is easy to carry a pack 5 miles, add an elk and that adds lots of time and plenty of effort. Putting a good elk to bed and having a spike camp nearby is worth a night or 2 out. Being in perfect position at 1st light is priceless. Watch the weather, humping out an elk in a foot or 2 of new snow will alter your schedulegrin

Give it a try, that's the best way to learn.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Big difference in camping out in muzzle loader,archery season, or earlier rifle. Rules change come late October and November.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Big difference in camping out in muzzle loader,archery season, or earlier rifle. Rules change come late October and November.

Give it a rest. It’s not that big a deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Figure this has been answered pretty well already. I’ll still throw my tent in the mix, adding weight to whichever side this post aligns with.

On pub land, it’s not uncommon for us to get on bulls right at dark, unable to get a shot off.

Instead of hiking out, back to the house, hoping and praying the whole night that we’ll be able to get back into position the next morning without someone else on the X. We have made a fast spike camp with what we have in our packs to get us through that night.

Sardines, jerky, candy bars, water and a flask of Pendleton 1910 is typical field food for a night.

Clothing and gear we have on us is already weather ready for November Coastal conditions.

It’s elk hunting for gawd sakes...Suffering a smidge is what it’s all about.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks everyone for your input.

It looks like our buddy is warming up to the idea, or at least admits he doesn’t have a choice.

We’ve been diving in this rabbit hole all day and it’s been fun. What do y’all think about each man having his own one person tent instead of us sharing one larger tent? I see benefits both ways, but I’m starting to think that each of us having our own tent could be the safer bet if one of us were to get lost or hurt.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

We all have good boots and packs. We will have to invest in a good tent and sleeping bags.

Somebody mentioned the GI sleeping system earlier. I remember that system well and it definitely did the job, but it also compressed down to about the size of a beachball and weighed a ton. I’ll be looking for a good, backpacking cold weather bag.

I think there's a few different vendors for the GI stuff, but the one I'm familiar with was clearly a Wiggy's. They're a good example of a piece of gear that is heavier and larger than you'd like but which will save you if conditions are much worse than expected. They are legitimately warm when wet, which is not true of almost any other commercial bag.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Down is the lightest and warmest as long as you can keep it dry. It's worthless when wet. They have a coating for down now but I've read mixed reviews on whether it works or not. I don't have any experience with it.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What do y’all think about each man having his own one person tent instead of us sharing one larger tent?

I like the idea. Unless I'm sharing a tent with my wife, I prefer sleeping solo. You can rig up a tarp for a communal cooking/eating area.

Aside, 3P tents are just right for two guys riding out bad weather, but are a bit small for three doing the same.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Since you have to buy a tent anyway, here is one that will hold up in bad weather and will fit three guys.A small back pack wood stove could be added in the future. If you have to hole up for a day or two,everyone can sit up around the cook stove and be some what comfortable.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/megahorn-tipi-tent-wood-stove-jack.

As for individual tents or all in one, it depends how friendly you are,or any heavy snorers.We use to run a camp with one big tent and everyone had a small tent.The ones in the small tent complained about having trouble getting dressed.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

It looks like our buddy is warming up to the idea, or at least admits he doesn’t have a choice.

We’ve been diving in this rabbit hole all day and it’s been fun. What do y’all think about each man having his own one person tent instead of us sharing one larger tent? I see benefits both ways, but I’m starting to think that each of us having our own tent could be the safer bet if one of us were to get lost or hurt.

Splitting up tents between people who are not physically together (and hunters rarely are) seems like another example of something that is fine unless something goes wrong, and then it's trouble. I'm experimenting with the Eureka Solitaire AL as a possible solution for a 1-man. There are smaller, tougher, and lighter options but I'm tall (6'6") and I find many psuedo-bivy type tents very confining.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If bad weather hits, a tent or tarp that allows you to sit up and boil water in your LW stove and pot for coffee and the freeze dried meal of your choice lets you continue the good times.
It is actually fun to enjoy small luxuries when the weather gets stormy.

Elk hunting is tough enough, get your fun when and where you can.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
couple of MRE`S with the heaters in the packages extra water bottles or canteen work well for over a night or two small tarp and fire starter material . good luck i no longer at my age wanna fight the cold ,snow or tents in the mountains with pack animals anymore ,we rent a cushy cabin with heat ,water and a electric stove. i wish you great safe luck i will be up in the mountains of Montana also this fall. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I appreciate that input Pete. What time will you be in MT this fall?

We’re still somewhat full of the proverbial piss and vinegar. None of us have killed an elk, but I’ve been hunting deer and other game all my life. My two friends have come under my wing since we left the Marines in 2009 and they have made several trips down here to TX to hunt with me. We want the elk and I’m looking forward to the adventure just as much as harvesting an elk. Thanks again!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

What rules change? From the first day of sharp stick season to the last day of late cow tipping, they stay the same. I can have my wife show you how to camp in cold. The old men that taught me were tough old dudes. Swallow a can of cold spam for dinner, roll out a tarp, drop sleeping bag, cover with tarp. Repeat the next day.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Splitting the weight three ways sounds appealing right up until you don’t end up together at night. Better to each have their own. Unless you’re with a hot Swedish blonde girl.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyoelk

What rules change? From the first day of sharp stick season to the last day of late cow tipping, they stay the same. I can have my wife show you how to camp in cold. The old men that taught me were tough old dudes. Swallow a can of cold spam for dinner, roll out a tarp, drop sleeping bag, cover with tarp. Repeat the next day.

That's exactly what me and my brother did for years. A saddle horse with grub in the saddlebags and fart sack tied behind. Sleep when it got dark, ponies snubbed to a tree. Sometimes wasn't much fun, as we usually couldn't hunt for ourselves till all the hunters were done, and that was usually late in the season. Never died, but spent some cold, wet, miserable nights out to get an elk..... Nowadays I'm a wuss. A heated tent, good bag and better food as I'm not interested in suffering in my old age.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I think I may be a tough old dude myself or at least was. I am probably as old as the ones that taught you.I have been hunting elk in Colorado for 45+ years with a 95 % success rate and another ten years in New Mexico.I started out exactly how you described. My stupid only lasted so long until I learned how to survive more comfortably rather than a tarp, two quilts a pot,and a coffee pot, cooking on an open fire with the food carried in a burlap sack. As for Spam, I carried one can.When it came time I had to eat it, it was time to go home.

Early season,you don't worry about frozen drinking water, 2-3 feet of snow, tents collapsing, having to leave equipment until spring if you get snowed in, not being able to get to your hunt area because you are snowed out, to name only a few.

Early seasons you can get by without a heat source. Might have to put up with rain or mud and won't freeze if you don't get back to camp at night.Still a possibility of hypothermia, but usually mother nature nature is kind to you. Ignore her in late seasons and and you might not fare as well.

Things might be different here in Colorado hunting at 10-12K feet elevation than where you hunt.I have packed quite a few people out of the high back country who thought they were tough and found they weren't after out staying in a one man tent in a blizzard and then could not make it a mile post holing thru 18"-2 feet of snow. Forget about them being able to pack their elk out. Then there are those that got injured, hunting alone with no communications, and had to be packed out on a pack saddle rigged to carry a person, or have someone ride a sure footed mule 9 miles in an hour and half to get to a phone to call S&R.

These guys that say it is no problem are doing a disservice to those looking for advice.Camping in the cold is no problem. It can be an easy hunt or a hunt from hell. I have done both.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/07/21.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've hunted 270 a bit.

My recommendation is to shoot a legal bull, even if it's a raghorn. Like any general tag unit, there are some monsters, but if you have a week, better pull the trigger on the first 4" brow tine bull you see.

There's several places in that unit where a small spike camp makes sense. But not many.

I'll see you this fall.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Many here should thank their lucky stars Darwin looked the other way.

Stupid doesn't always hurt.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

Maybe......or maybe you're just a pussy.

If a person isn't experienced or confident enough spike camp in November (or just doesn't want to) then that's fine, but yours is a pretty ignorant statement.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe 8 or 10 years ago, a young guy in our church heard about a herd of elk hanging out around a high elevation lake. It was in a hellish place but he went in alone and got a nice bull. It took him several days to pack it out. On 1 trip, he'd seen a helicopter flying nearby. After he got home, he got a call from the IDFG. It was them in the chopper and they'd seen him hauling it out and got his license number from his pickup at the trail head. They called to congratulate him on his success. They said they'd been watching that herd for a long time and he was the 1st hunter they'd seen with the gonads to go after them. He said later that there was no way that he'd ever go in there again.

― George Orwell

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Maybe 8 or 10 years ago, a young guy in our church heard about a herd of elk hanging out around a high elevation lake. It was in a hellish place but he went in alone and got a nice bull. It took him several days to pack it out. On 1 trip, he'd seen a helicopter flying nearby. After he got home, he got a call from the IDFG. It was them in the chopper and they'd seen him hauling it out and got his license number from his pickup at the trail head. They called to congratulate him on his success. They said they'd been watching that herd for a long time and he was the 1st hunter they'd seen with the gonads to go after them. He said later that there was no way that he'd ever go in there again.

Badass! Sometimes once is enough, but I’m sure the memories of that hunt will last his lifetime!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We will be in the Bells during late September. Should we rent a condo in Aspen and start up the hill each day at 2 a.m. or carry our stuff up to 12-13k and live with the goats? Asking for a friend.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I appreciate that input Pete. What time will you be in MT this fall?

We’re still somewhat full of the proverbial piss and vinegar. None of us have killed an elk, but I’ve been hunting deer and other game all my life. My two friends have come under my wing since we left the Marines in 2009 and they have made several trips down here to TX to hunt with me. We want the elk and I’m looking forward to the adventure just as much as harvesting an elk. Thanks again!

will be out there for the first 3 weeks of bow season and again 10 - 12 days for rifle opener elk season, good luck,Pete53 p.s. " i enjoy the bow season a little more , take a good climbing stand with."

Last edited by pete53; 07/07/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

Maybe......or maybe you're just a pussy.

If a person isn't experienced or confident enough spike camp in November (or just doesn't want to) then that's fine, but yours is a pretty ignorant statement.

Having the experience gives the confidence to know you can do it. It's kind of a chicken/egg thing; if you never attempt it you won't know whether it's doable or not. On my one hunt in AK, my guide had me climbing stuff, going places, and camping under a tarp in weather that I wouldn't have attempted on my own. After that trip I had a much better appreciation for what's doable.

Having said that, I gravitate towards the early seasons for backpack elk hunting because it's easier and you have to carry less gear to stay comfortable and get a good night's sleep. Carrying less on your back is always a plus in the mountains since you can go farther, climb higher, and recover faster. That's not critical on an overnighter, but for a week long hunt it adds up. And this is just my opinion, but if I'm carrying enough stuff to camp out for an overnighter, the next day comes and I don't catch up to the elk, I'm not going to want to head back out to the trailhead, I'm gonna want to stay a few more days while I'm already packed in, and check the next basin, and maybe the one after that. Hunting away from the roads is a definite advantage.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're rifle hunting elk here in Montana, you're October 24 - November 29. With the exception of a couple wilderness areas, there is no "early" rifle season like in Colorado and other states.

A bit of a tempest in a teapot from some on this thread. This isn't an ascent of K2. They're not going that far in and the guys are ex-Marines. They'll figure it out.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Jeffrey,
I've enjoyed reading this thread and am looking forward to hearing about your hunt. Take pics and share with us afterwards please!

Lots of advice already on here. I do have some comments and observations.

It sounds like you are preparing to set up a spike camp as a "camp of opportunity ", in case you spot something in the evening you want to put it to bed and be on it in the morning. (A least that is one scenario. ) That means you will be carrying all the camping equipment every day on your back, whether you use it or not? You may not use it at all, or maybe on day 5, but been humping it up and back for the first 4 days kinda thing?

Make sure you've figured out how you are going to pack the animal out. Are your packs full of camping and sleeping equipment, so you would have to return to the vehicle, empty packs, and return to pack out meat? Or can you guys get a bull down and pack it out without having to empty packs? Make sure if you return to the kill, somebody has a gun, somebody has bear spray. It's November I get it, but you never know about bears. Be prepared for a bear on your kill, just in case.

Do you guys know how to bone out a carcass and pack it out? If not, learn. The only bone I would pack out is the head, leave the rest. If you bone out the meat and have lots of room in your packs, the 3 of you should be able to get it out in one trip, but it is going to be heavy.

That's it from me, the biggest issue I saw nobody mentioned was logistics on getting the animal out with your already loaded packs. You guys will figure it out Im sure. Have fun and please lets us know how it went.

Manny

Last edited by mannyspd1; 07/07/21.
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Brad
If you're rifle hunting elk here in Montana, you're October 24 - November 29. With the exception of a couple wilderness areas, there is no "early" rifle season like in Colorado and other states.

A bit of a tempest in a teapot from some on this thread. This isn't an ascent of K2. They're not going that far in and the guys are ex-Marines. They'll figure it out.

No such thing as an ex-Marine, Brad. wink

I think we’ll be fine too. I just think my one buddy is getting a little soft on us! It could be a result of a winter deployment to Afghanistan where he got to spend a lot of cold nights in a tent. It’s also probably a matter of not having backpack camping experience, but as you said, we will figure that part out. We will have food, shelter and clothing. Like you said, there is plenty of dead wood in the areas we will be hunting. Starting a fire each night won’t be a problem.
If anything, I am sure we will overpack, yet still discover there are some things we won’t have that would be nice. Either way, we are excited and looking forward to our trip. We’re putting together a summer scouting trip as we speak, as of this morning.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No such thing as an ex-Marine, Brad. wink

I think we’ll be fine too. I just think my one buddy is getting a little soft on us! It could be a result of a winter deployment to Afghanistan where he got to spend a lot of cold nights in a tent. It’s also probably a matter of not having backpack camping experience, but as you said, we will figure that part out. We will have food, shelter and clothing. Like you said, there is plenty of dead wood in the areas we will be hunting. Starting a fire each night won’t be a problem.
If anything, I am sure we will overpack, yet still discover there are some things we won’t have that would be nice. Either way, we are excited and looking forward to our trip. We’re putting together a summer scouting trip as we speak, as of this morning.

LOL, true on the "ex-Marine." My FIL was a Marine and made multiple Pacific landings in WWII (forward gunnery observer) until he finally got wounded on Peleliu. He was a Marine until he died.

You'll have a great time, and I'm looking forward to your trip report!

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the encouragement, Manny.

I am sure we will take lots of pictures. We did last year when we went but did not put any elk on the ground. The scenery was fantastic though; the stuff dreams are made of. One of us has a cow tag this year, so I think our chances on getting an elk down will be much better.

We have all invested in nice packs and I have been taking mine out a couple times each month to our ranch in Hondo to get conditioned to it. It’s a purpose built pack and my plan will be to put off my sleeping gear in a dry bag and move that out of the way to utilize the meat shelf if we get an elk.
We’ve all been exercising a lot and I think packing an elk out will be a labor of love for all of us. In addition to our time allotted for hunting we have a day before to acclimate some and to settle in, and then 2 or 3 days after to tie up any loose ends and hopefully pack a bull out if we need to.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks, Brad.

I’ll be sure to give a proper debrief after we return from our hunt.

I’m sure you FIL was a hell of a man. I can’t comprehend the hell those men went through on those islands. I’ve known several of them and they all were great friends from the time I met them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By all means camp. My idea of a good season is I'm hunting when 50+ yds from my bed and I go for 10 to 14 days without burning a gallon of fuel in the truck.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago a friend from NC came out to try for a mule deer. I took him back about 3 or 4 miles with my llamas (the farthest we go go with good feed and water for the llamas) and we hiked from there. He got a medium sized buck. It wasn't a mossy horn but he was ecstatic. He'd never used a pack animal before and when we loaded it up, he got eddicated on how us old guys do it. We had a ball. The camping part makes the trip sometimes.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I think I may be a tough old dude myself or at least was. I am probably as old as the ones that taught you.I have been hunting elk in Colorado for 45+ years with a 95 % success rate and another ten years in New Mexico.I started out exactly how you described. My stupid only lasted so long until I learned how to survive more comfortably rather than a tarp, two quilts a pot,and a coffee pot, cooking on an open fire with the food carried in a burlap sack. As for Spam, I carried one can.When it came time I had to eat it, it was time to go home.

Early season,you don't worry about frozen drinking water, 2-3 feet of snow, tents collapsing, having to leave equipment until spring if you get snowed in, not being able to get to your hunt area because you are snowed out, to name only a few.

Early seasons you can get by without a heat source. Might have to put up with rain or mud and won't freeze if you don't get back to camp at night.Still a possibility of hypothermia, but usually mother nature nature is kind to you. Ignore her in late seasons and and you might not fare as well.

Things might be different here in Colorado hunting at 10-12K feet elevation than where you hunt.I have packed quite a few people out of the high back country who thought they were tough and found they weren't after out staying in a one man tent in a blizzard and then could not make it a mile post holing thru 18"-2 feet of snow. Forget about them being able to pack their elk out. Then there are those that got injured, hunting alone with no communications, and had to be packed out on a pack saddle rigged to carry a person, or have someone ride a sure footed mule 9 miles in an hour and half to get to a phone to call S&R.

These guys that say it is no problem are doing a disservice to those looking for advice.Camping in the cold is no problem. It can be an easy hunt or a hunt from hell. I have done both.

You had a coffee pot? Big timer. I suspect you would fit right in with the men that drug my azz all over. Sadly they are gone. I think Jeffrey will be just fine. Even if he is from Texas.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

You had a coffee pot? Big timer. I suspect you would fit right in with the men that drug my azz all over. Sadly they are gone. I think Jeffrey will be just fine. Even if he is from Texas.

As a Texan, what I lack in knowledge and experience, I will make up with in good looks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We will be in the Bells during late September. Should we rent a condo in Aspen and start up the hill each day at 2 a.m. or carry our stuff up to 12-13k and live with the goats? Asking for a friend.

If you can get to there, and if you are hunting bulls, hunt the South slope of Hayden Pk at about timberline.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Alamosa

If you can get to there, and if you are hunting bulls, hunt the South slope of Hayden Pk at about timberline.

The white ones. I have no desire to hunt Colorado elk.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I often go into the west of you in the Selway side of the Bitteroot crest. There an early elk Sept season I walk into. When I was a kid that place was crawling with moose and elk but not anymore. Still I go because of roadless location and if you dive off trails into canyons you can really go where people aren't and there's amazing fishing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KC

Jeffrey:

Good God, he a f-ing Marine! He doesn't need advice on how dangerous a backpacking trip is. Lol. Seriously -- lol.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Depends on how early you set the alarm clock.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Plumdog

Depends on how early you set the alarm clock.

Can't walk in until after 6:30. That's when the latte shops open. The one on Main St. has croissants that are simply to die for.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I was talking about the archery seasons in September. Down here we also have an early muzzleloader season in September. Just something for the OP to think about if he likes hunting out of a backpack, and a good reason to try archery.

Any time in the mountains chasing elk is exceptional, September just happens to be my favorite. Aspens turning, elk bugling, fish in the creeks still hungry, and so on and so forth.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Thanks, Saddlesore . I appreciate the sage advice.

I’m aware of the wall tents and wood burning stoves and know that’s one way to do it. I have tent camped here in Texas in freezing weather. Am I ignorant in thinking that a good cold weather sleeping bag and quality tent to keep us out of the rain or snow would be sufficient?

The goal isn’t to set up a camp for the entire hunt. We will likely be spending most nights in a house. The purpose of any nights in the field would be to stay on top of the elk and have an early crack at them when the sun comes up.

If you were in the Marines, you'd know what type of surplus sleeping bag and cover to pick up at a Army Navy Surplus Store... Done a lot of winter camping in my days, and pretty much always used surplus military stuff...I had a 1947 made Army Sleeping Bag and cover I used from aged 14 until it fell apart and I junked it in my early 40s. Got it from my dad's mobility bag in 1966 ( Air Force Dependent). Its hard to commercially find Sleeping Bags as good as military winter bags...got several now, that are Arctic Bags, I think I picked up for like $75. I've gotten hot in them and used them like a blanket at zero degrees...

a set of Mickey Mouse Boots wouldn't be a bad thing to look out for also.

By the way, I was trained for field duty in Arctic Environments in the Army, for being assigned to both attached to a combat grunt unit, and also in setting up and Running a MASH unit in Arctic Environments also...( so more than just an Air Force Dependent) and dad was a Marine for 10 years, and after becoming a pilot in his later Marine Career, he transferred to the Air Force and did another 16 years as a Pilot there, then 22 years with the State Dept.
.Wouldn't know it nowadays tho, he's 90 and living in an Assisted Living since Mom died back in 2019.

Last edited by Seafire; 07/08/21.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by KC

Jeffrey:

Good God, he a f-ing Marine! He doesn't need advice on how dangerous a backpacking trip is. Lol. Seriously -- lol.

For what its worth, Casey ( K C ) was also a Marine... just saying...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m very familiar with the military sleeping system. I was hoping to find something that wasn’t as bulky. There are a lot of options out there and I am doing my research.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
[quote=Joezone]For the colder weather make sure you have insulated boots or packs that are up to the challenge.

I think there's a few different vendors for the GI stuff, but the one I'm familiar with was clearly a Wiggy's. They're a good example of a piece of gear that is heavier and larger than you'd like but which will save you if conditions are much worse than expected. They are legitimately warm when wet, which is not true of almost any other commercial bag.

My experience is modest compared to many of you, but I tend to over research my hunting gear. As far as I can see, the Wiggy's sleeping bags, Lamilite socks, boots ponchos, parkas, et al. are just plain worth whatever one pays, and are far better than highly-rated alternatives that I've had for years. They work awfully well for me, even in heavy snow and slush.

Jerry doesn't seem to advertise except for his very crusty comments on his website and the many personal testimonials from customers there. He does personally answer his mail and told me what works best (including products from other sources!)

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m very familiar with the military sleeping system. I was hoping to find something that wasn’t as bulky. There are a lot of options out there and I am doing my research.

You know you could outfit yourself with high altitude expedition gear that will pretty much maintain your temperature using your body heat. Wearing one of those feels like what a space suit must feel like. Your top layers are nearly identical to a down bag and a tent in and of themselves, and then pack in a bag and small tent besides. I spent 17 days on Denali wearing that and the biggest physiological concern is making water by melting snow, but ... would you really want to hunt wearing that or in conditions that require that?
I'm all for for spike camps. They have worked great for me and I've filled elk and sheep tags that way.
If you plan it well you should have a really nice hunt. I'd advise making the weather forecast a part of that planning. Keep researching and gathering info and you will probably have a great hunt.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
How do you guys go about procuring or making water while you are out? I have used the sanitation/filter straws in the past and would have no problem pulling water from a creek and doing that. But how about boiling water or melting snow? What kinds of camp wares (pots, kettles, etc..) do you use? I would think a campfire percolator would work well, but I’m wondering if there are less bulky alternatives that are better suited to backpacking that I’m not aware of.

Of course the filter idea would be my first choice, but that’s assuming we are near running water that doesn’t need to be melted or thawed.

As far as cooking food goes, we will be keeping that part simple with MREs.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 07/08/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Melting snow takes a lot of fuel and fuel's heavy. If you can filter from a creek, you'll be better off. As far as boiling water to sterilize it, ignore the Boy Scout manual. They're wrong. You don't have to boil water 5 or 10 min to kill the germs. There are no harmful bugs that can survive above 160F. Milk is pasteurized at 160. If you get it to 170 or 180, you're totally safe. If you're unsure about when it reaches 180, you can go up to boiling but anything beyond that is a waste of time and fuel. If you want to be sure, you can carry one of these folding thermometers. They're pretty cheap and work well.

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

― George Orwell

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m thinking we’ll try using campfires for any heating needs. I suppose it would be a good idea to have one of the little backpacking stoves and some fuel for it in case we get rain or have trouble finding dry fuel. My experience from our trip last fall was that there was plenty of dead wood lying around.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
How do you guys go about procuring or making water while you are out? I have used the sanitation/filter straws in the past and would have no problem pulling water from a creek and doing that. But how about boiling water or melting snow? What kinds of camp wares (pots, kettles, etc..) do you use? I would think a campfire percolator would work well, but I’m wondering if there are less bulky alternatives that are better suited to backpacking that I’m not aware of.

Of course the filter idea would be my first choice, but that’s assuming we are near running water that doesn’t need to be melted or thawed.

Filtration is a huge PITA and in my experience it's easy to get contamination. Boiling is a bigger PITA. Generally my primary plan is filtration/grit removal through cotton t-shirt material followed by iodine tabs with boiling as a backup. Yes, iodine makes the water taste funny. Throw some tang or koolaid mix in it for straight drinking. For cooking you'll never notice the taste although starches can turn bluish. I like that the iodine water is aggressively sterilizing, and can be used to for example sterilize the threads of a water bottle.

If you are concerned about cryptosporidium you have to go boiling or filter. In my experience it is not a big problem if you avoid obviously contaminated water sources. But your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/08/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How do you guys go about procuring or making water while you are out?

Having backpacked in Montana for nearly 30 years, I have never once treated water in the mountains… one of the benefits of living here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

In real cold weather any filter tube will probably freeze up on you. Canteens can freeze up as the day goes on too. Winter camping has it's extra issues.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How do you guys go about procuring or making water while you are out?

Having backpacked in Montana for nearly 30 years, I have never once treated water in the mountains… one of the benefits of living here.
That was always the case in Idaho, too, until maybe 20 or 30 years ago. Then giardia started showing up in high mountain creeks and springs. It was apparently carried by rodents, if anyone really knows for sure. MT has it, too, lots of it. You just haven't drank from the right creek yet. Getting it when you're 5 miles back in the mountains is something you really won't want to do twice. It's not in every creek or spring but how do you tell whether its in THIS creek? You're playing intestinal roulette.

― George Orwell

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
All good things to think about! After a little research on this topic I do think I will invest in a good titanium backpacking pot. Thanks, gents!

Next question!

Is it fair to say that bears could still be active as late as early-mid November? I want to say yes but have been told they should be hybernating by then. With that thought in mind and considering that bears have been known to come to kill sites, would it be a bad idea to set up camp in the vicinity of an elk that we have killed, assuming the pack out process will take more than a day?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In Colorado I have had black bears on gut piles in late October. I would not set up real close, but don't think you would have any problems unless you had some good smelling food close by.Grizzly country might be different though

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MT has it, too, lots of it. You just haven't drank from the right creek yet. Getting it when you're 5 miles back in the mountains is something you really won't want to do twice. It's not in every creek or spring but how do you tell whether its in THIS creek? You're playing intestinal roulette.

BS. You just have to be smart where you drink. Giardia is one of the most overblown fears out there. We're not drinking from low lying ag streams, we're drinking the finest water on the planet from mountain streams.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A dry cabin with a stove and no electricity or satellite TV is about as far towards roughing it camping as I’ll go these days! Best of luck on your hunt. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
All good things to think about! After a little research on this topic I do think I will invest in a good titanium backpacking pot. Thanks, gents!

Next question!

Is it fair to say that bears could still be active as late as early-mid November? I want to say yes but have been told they should be hybernating by then. With that thought in mind and considering that bears have been known to come to kill sites, would it be a bad idea to set up camp in the vicinity of an elk that we have killed, assuming the pack out process will take more than a day?

Yes grizzlies could definitely be active in early to mid November. And no I would not set up camp anywhere near an elk that you have killed.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MT has it, too, lots of it. You just haven't drank from the right creek yet. Getting it when you're 5 miles back in the mountains is something you really won't want to do twice. It's not in every creek or spring but how do you tell whether its in THIS creek? You're playing intestinal roulette.

BS. You just have to be smart where you drink. Giardia is one of the most overblown fears out there. We're not drinking from low lying ag streams, we're drinking the finest water on the planet from mountain streams.
The risk of drinking unfiltered water from mountain streams is quite low but if you lose the roulette game, the penalty is a bitch. There's more than just giardia out there. There are quite a few bacteria gut bugs besides parasites.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mountain streams can indeed be infected with giardia. Might want to check where the term Beaver Fever originated.That clear cold mountain stream that looks like some thing out of a COORS commercial might very well have dead elk deer or another animal laying dead 100 yards up stream, or a series of beaver dams in the next meadow, or a previous hiker might have taken a dump right near the stream a few yards up.Springs flowing right out of a mountain inside might be safe, but once you have had giardiosis, you about want to give up drinking any water.

"the finest water on the planet from mountain streams" yea flavored with with elk piss.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many springs have been on the surface somewhere up the hill and then went down again. An intermittent creek can come and go any number of times before it finally stays on the surface. Animals up high know where those little wet spots are. Some of them are elk wallows.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Major areas in NW Colorado run 3-4000 sheep in the mountains or I should say on the side of mountains. Those pasture maggots get in every nook and cranny where there is anything edible. Drier years best grass is along one of those a clear mountain streams.I am sure all of them walk off 100 yards before they drop all their pellets.Then you have cattle grazing allotments. One are I hunted was allowed 600 cow calf pairs and they drive them clean up to the ramparts, 10,000-11,000 feet, as soon as the snow melts to get that grass. Every small seep or spring coming out of the rocks will have cow patties all about. By the time elk season rolls around, the cattle are gone and you think you have found a pristine mountain meadow.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/09/21.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Having a keen interest in range management (I’m an arborist with a forestry degree), I always shake my head seeing land get torn up by overgrazing and poor range management.

Again, I appreciate all of your responses and take them all as good advice. Brad, I don’t doubt for once second that you’ve been drinking water straight from the stream with no issues. I can also see how even the clearest of streams could harbor some bad stuff. If it comes down to it, I’m sure me and the guys could drink some water straight from the stream if we have to. With that said, we’ll take the heat precautions that we can to protect ourselves.

Thanks again everyone. Y’all have been great.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't count on bears hibernating mid- Nov. all likelihood they will not be.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having a keen interest in range management (I’m an arborist with a forestry degree), I always shake my head seeing land get torn up by overgrazing and poor range management.

Again, I appreciate all of your responses and take them all as good advice. Brad, I don’t doubt for once second that you’ve been drinking water straight from the stream with no issues. I can also see how even the clearest of streams could harbor some bad stuff. If it comes down to it, I’m sure me and the guys could drink some water straight from the stream if we have to. With that said, we’ll take the heat precautions that we can to protect ourselves.

Thanks again everyone. Y’all have been great.
If you're in trouble, a gross, slimy, muddy stock tank is better than nothing. Doctors can fix gut bugs. They can't fix death from dehydration.
Most springs and creeks are perfectly safe. However, modern filters are so easy to use and work so well that it's not worth taking a chance. It only takes 1 infected spring and the filter will pay for itself many times over. With some, you can just fill your bottle, screw the filter on top and drink right through it.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Might be a reason not to camp close to kill site.

Montana Grizzly Rips Woman From Tent
65-year-old Leah Davis Lokan, a registered nurse from Chico, California was ripped from her tent and killed by a grizzly bear earlier this week in Ovando, Montana. The bear had awakened Lokan and others earlier in the night and returned later when it killed her. Fellow campers rushed to her aide with bear spray and ran the grizzly off but their efforts were in vain as Ms. Lokan had already passed.
This news is eerily reminiscent of the stories of man eating lions and tigers in the late 20th century. The bear’s behavior earlier in the night raises eyebrows as to its intentions as it appears to have “stalked” Lokan before killing her. Man eating grizzly bears are rare indeed and even though the bear in question didn’t appear to feed on its victim one can speculate that the only reason is due to not having the chance as other campers chased the grizzly away before it could begin consuming Ms. Lokan.
This tragic event is a stark reminder that there are no safe spaces in grizzly country as it appears this event happened in or very close to a town. Please follow bear safety protocols at all times in grizzly country and we encourage the training in and use of both lethal and non-lethal self defense measures.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Might be a reason not to camp close to kill site.

Montana Grizzly Rips Woman From Tent
65-year-old Leah Davis Lokan, a registered nurse from Chico, California was ripped from her tent and killed by a grizzly bear earlier this week in Ovando, Montana. The bear had awakened Lokan and others earlier in the night and returned later when it killed her. Fellow campers rushed to her aide with bear spray and ran the grizzly off but their efforts were in vain as Ms. Lokan had already passed.
This news is eerily reminiscent of the stories of man eating lions and tigers in the late 20th century. The bear’s behavior earlier in the night raises eyebrows as to its intentions as it appears to have “stalked” Lokan before killing her. Man eating grizzly bears are rare indeed and even though the bear in question didn’t appear to feed on its victim one can speculate that the only reason is due to not having the chance as other campers chased the grizzly away before it could begin consuming Ms. Lokan.
This tragic event is a stark reminder that there are no safe spaces in grizzly country as it appears this event happened in or very close to a town. Please follow bear safety protocols at all times in grizzly country and we encourage the training in and use of both lethal and non-lethal self defense measures.

I’ve been following that thread on the campfire forum. We will be packing sidearms it sounds like. But still, a big damn Grizz gets a hold of you, probably wouldn’t take much time to do you in. I’m not overly worried about the bears, kind of like lightning or a shark attack. Just curious though. Our guide last year (young and inexperienced) is where we heard that they were already hibernating. I took that with a grain of salt. He was a good hardworking dude, but the first day I got the sense I had a lot more hunting experience than he did. That was our first guided hunt.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

That's been my experience as well living in Idaho and your area. I'd never drink the lower stuff in canyons and valleys but high up in the springs I drink up and have never come to regret it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Grizz in unit 270? Please tell us if you see one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Buy a wolf tag. If you are in an area you need to camp to kill a bull, you'll likely have some wolves nearby.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Giardia is not a get sick and get better thing. It will stay with you sort of dormant and then come back later. If you get it you are in for multiple rounds of sickness.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Giardia is not a get sick and get better thing. It will stay with you sort of dormant and then come back later. If you get it you are in for multiple rounds of sickness.

You don't want giardia but any of boiling, iodine, or filtration will deal with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Buy a wolf tag. If you are in an area you need to camp to kill a bull, you'll likely have some wolves nearby.
In Idaho, you can buy 15 wolf tags a year. They're cheap, $32 for non-res, so stock up. You wouldn't want to run out when you walk into the mother lode of wolves.

― George Orwell

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've hunted in Montana's general rifle wilderness hunting a few times now...Once with a 4-man tipi and a partner, once with a 2-man floorless alone, and twice with the tipi and stove alone (heavy pack). Nothing to show for it yet, but enough opportunity to keep me interested. Trailhead elevations are 6000 ish and camps are around 8000. Hike length varies: 4 to 7 miles. Bulls show up all over...woods, open ridgeline at 10000 feet, in the meadow 150 yards from your tent when you're on the hillside a mile away, etc and so on. Sometimes they scream at you from what sounds like right out the tent door in the valley bottom meadow in mid november, at 3:00 am.

Four times isn't a big sample, but enough to identify trends:
**At no point did I/we have any trouble staying dry. This isn't the Cascades, and the snow that falls isn't your typical Cascade Concrete that's more water than ice.
**You'll need to think through water acquisition and storage. Filtering is a bit of a non-starter when it's that cold, some of them are damaged by freezing, but all can simply freeze up. I've used aquamira drops in Alaska, WA, MT and ID with zero issues, including in cold water. Wait a half hour for it to have a chance to work in the cold. You have to make a concerted effort to hydrate; that's helped by warming water and downing a bunch of not-freezing water when you get a chance to do so. Your camelbak tube will freeze hard unless you route it where it's warmed by body heat.
**I sleep really, really well in a 15 degree down bag, covered with a primaloft blanket. The blanket is an extra pound or more, and worth every ounce. Good for packing around to don when sitting also. I store boots and water under the edge of the blanket and they stay thawed. Blanket makes it so you can tent it up around your head and breathe warm air, and you don't need to be so attentive and strict with the mummy hood and baffles. It's just easier and more comfortable.
**The stove is really, really good for morale, but isn't necessary. Nice to sit in a t-shirt and eat dinner at the end of the day. But then you gotta make lunch and go hang your food afterward anyway in the cold and dark. I sleep with my lunch packed and in my tent in grizzly country, alone. Don't tell KC.
**Some portion of your sleeping pad needs to be foam.
**White gas stove is nice...whisperlite or simmerlite. Zero issues in the cold.
**Beeswaxed full grain leather boots under gaiters do fine, no moisture.
**Gaiters go under your outer pants layer to shed deep snow. I know, I know, they don't look nearly as cool that way.

I figure that, compared to a really light AK sheep or WA deer overnighter, I have an extra pants layer (sporthill XC ski pants added to longjohns and kuiu attack pants), an extra insulation layer (light puffy vest in addition to montbell parka), a thicker head covering for sleeping, primaloft blanket, and an extra 3/8" light solid foam pad to go on top of the inflatable pad. Add the wood stove if I'm feeling my oats. And that's about it. Elk means three or more trips out for me, so I don't sweat a little extra weight.

The last time I was up that way, I hiked in to about 7600 ft and made my camp. Had to do a lot of boot-kick snowplow removal, but ended up with a tight tipi pitch with a nice snow fringe, wood stove set up, everything just hunky dory. Got camp up around 2:00 so was heading out for an evening stroll. I walked about 30 FEET away from the tent and the changed perspective allowed me to see a cow elk carcass down in the creek bottom meadow. It was a hunter's kill, a few days old. No bear prints around, but was about 100 yards from my tent. I sacked everything and moved it another couple miles up the trail to 8000 feet, and was thusly tired! That hiking at altitude is rough when I come from where I can throw a potato from my back porch into saltwater.

Make sure your comms are working. My SPOT locator bought the farm after the trailhead check-in, and my wife didn't hear from me for five days. On day six she called a friend that's local, and he indicated he'd ride in to check on me the next morning, or he and his local rescue chopper buddy could fly up there for a looksee within the hour (also said something along the lines of "there's an awful lot of grizzlies up that way"). Wife went for plan B, figuring that she didn't want to be the one responsible for me bleeding out on the trail somewhere. Meanwhile, I'd just finished up a nice conversation with a fellow at the trailhead, then got in the truck and drove to cell coverage, whereupon I called my wife, learned of the copter ride, looked up and saw them fly over me and head up the valley. We all got in touch right about then by text, and met a few hours later at Sir Scott's Oasis, so all's well that ends well, albeit $1000 helo charge later, and I got off easy. Getting feedback on the garmin helps to keep that from happening again.

If you get yourself in good enough shape to hike into wherever it is you intend to go, then you're in good enough shape to stash/hang some extra gear and walk out light through deep snow, I figure, if it comes to that. Maybe I'll get hosed by that someday, but if you don't bother to go, you don't get to go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your camelbak tube will freeze hard unless you route it where it's warmed by body heat.
I blow the water from the tube back into the bladder when I'm done drinking. Then tuck the valve inside a pocket or zipper to keep it from freezing as residual water in the tube will end up in it. If it's real cold, you can wrap something around the bladder with a hand warmer in it but keeping the valve from freezing is the main thing.

― George Orwell

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Vek -- Great post with lots of useful info. Wish I was still young enough, fit enough and close enough to hunt Montana that way!

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Vek
I've hunted in Montana's general rifle wilderness hunting a few times now...Once with a 4-man tipi and a partner, once with a 2-man floorless alone, and twice with the tipi and stove alone (heavy pack). Nothing to show for it yet, but enough opportunity to keep me interested. Trailhead elevations are 6000 ish and camps are around 8000. Hike length varies: 4 to 7 miles. Bulls show up all over...woods, open ridgeline at 10000 feet, in the meadow 150 yards from your tent when you're on the hillside a mile away, etc and so on. Sometimes they scream at you from what sounds like right out the tent door in the valley bottom meadow in mid november, at 3:00 am.

Four times isn't a big sample, but enough to identify trends:
**At no point did I/we have any trouble staying dry. This isn't the Cascades, and the snow that falls isn't your typical Cascade Concrete that's more water than ice.
**You'll need to think through water acquisition and storage. Filtering is a bit of a non-starter when it's that cold, some of them are damaged by freezing, but all can simply freeze up. I've used aquamira drops in Alaska, WA, MT and ID with zero issues, including in cold water. Wait a half hour for it to have a chance to work in the cold. You have to make a concerted effort to hydrate; that's helped by warming water and downing a bunch of not-freezing water when you get a chance to do so. Your camelbak tube will freeze hard unless you route it where it's warmed by body heat.
**I sleep really, really well in a 15 degree down bag, covered with a primaloft blanket. The blanket is an extra pound or more, and worth every ounce. Good for packing around to don when sitting also. I store boots and water under the edge of the blanket and they stay thawed. Blanket makes it so you can tent it up around your head and breathe warm air, and you don't need to be so attentive and strict with the mummy hood and baffles. It's just easier and more comfortable.
**The stove is really, really good for morale, but isn't necessary. Nice to sit in a t-shirt and eat dinner at the end of the day. But then you gotta make lunch and go hang your food afterward anyway in the cold and dark. I sleep with my lunch packed and in my tent in grizzly country, alone. Don't tell KC.
**Some portion of your sleeping pad needs to be foam.
**White gas stove is nice...whisperlite or simmerlite. Zero issues in the cold.
**Beeswaxed full grain leather boots under gaiters do fine, no moisture.
**Gaiters go under your outer pants layer to shed deep snow. I know, I know, they don't look nearly as cool that way.

I figure that, compared to a really light AK sheep or WA deer overnighter, I have an extra pants layer (sporthill XC ski pants added to longjohns and kuiu attack pants), an extra insulation layer (light puffy vest in addition to montbell parka), a thicker head covering for sleeping, primaloft blanket, and an extra 3/8" light solid foam pad to go on top of the inflatable pad. Add the wood stove if I'm feeling my oats. And that's about it. Elk means three or more trips out for me, so I don't sweat a little extra weight.

The last time I was up that way, I hiked in to about 7600 ft and made my camp. Had to do a lot of boot-kick snowplow removal, but ended up with a tight tipi pitch with a nice snow fringe, wood stove set up, everything just hunky dory. Got camp up around 2:00 so was heading out for an evening stroll. I walked about 30 FEET away from the tent and the changed perspective allowed me to see a cow elk carcass down in the creek bottom meadow. It was a hunter's kill, a few days old. No bear prints around, but was about 100 yards from my tent. I sacked everything and moved it another couple miles up the trail to 8000 feet, and was thusly tired! That hiking at altitude is rough when I come from where I can throw a potato from my back porch into saltwater.

Make sure your comms are working. My SPOT locator bought the farm after the trailhead check-in, and my wife didn't hear from me for five days. On day six she called a friend that's local, and he indicated he'd ride in to check on me the next morning, or he and his local rescue chopper buddy could fly up there for a looksee within the hour (also said something along the lines of "there's an awful lot of grizzlies up that way"). Wife went for plan B, figuring that she didn't want to be the one responsible for me bleeding out on the trail somewhere. Meanwhile, I'd just finished up a nice conversation with a fellow at the trailhead, then got in the truck and drove to cell coverage, whereupon I called my wife, learned of the copter ride, looked up and saw them fly over me and head up the valley. We all got in touch right about then by text, and met a few hours later at Sir Scott's Oasis, so all's well that ends well, albeit $1000 helo charge later, and I got off easy. Getting feedback on the garmin helps to keep that from happening again.

If you get yourself in good enough shape to hike into wherever it is you intend to go, then you're in good enough shape to stash/hang some extra gear and walk out light through deep snow, I figure, if it comes to that. Maybe I'll get hosed by that someday, but if you don't bother to go, you don't get to go.

Vek,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write all of that out. I really appreciate it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A few thoughts and bear in mind I grew up just north of where you're going.

The area generally doesn't have real high peaks, so any snow you may get into will be fresh snow that recently fell, unless you're on top of Trapper Peak or something like that so I wouldn't count on any kind of snowpack to use for water, unless you're there in late November. You'll often be fairly close to creeks that you can filter from (Katadyn or MSR are what I like...boiling snow in a jetboil or similar stove works but I prefer to filter it). I used to drink directly from creeks all the time and still do some, but have heard enough horror stories about girardia that I now try to filter it if at all possible. If you do drink it straight, avoid stagnate water and bigger creeks. The smaller, the better. Headwater springs I have read are the best, but that is just what I have read.

Since you're thinking of making a scouting trip, you may consider packing in some gallon jugs and cache it. I used to do it all the time in Wyoming when scouting for mule deer. The danger here is, you never know where elk may lead you so this is often a better option once you know an area, and know where the elk tend to hang out. You also better get it out or else it is littering. It is an option though.

MREs are heavy. You should know that. Take that for what it is worth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Next question!

Griz are "non-existent" in that part of Montana, but they have been showing up in random places, so one never knows. Both blacks and griz may very well NOT be hibernating by late Nov, but they most CERTAINLY can take an interest in any food they stumble across (read: your camp or dead elk) that time of year especially.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
T,

Regarding the weight of MREs, we will be “field stripping” them. This means removing the outer packaging and removing any extraneous materials. When you get them stripped down like that, it greatly reduces the size and weight of the original package. Once we cut all the crap from them, we wrap them with a piece of electrical tape to keep them together. Works really well.
I don’t know of a better bang for the buck when it comes to the amount of calories they provide.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
To simplify much of what has already been said think homeostasis. Def:optimal functioning of the organism. Hydration and core temp are the basis for balancing what you do and carry in the back country. Hydration is job one, if you are not absolutely certain of the location of your next water point carry enough to get you back to the last known supply, 1 gallon/day is the minimum. Treat all water. Giardiasis can render you helpless overnight, and phug up a good down bag. Aqua mira etc works and weighs nothing. A filter works well also.

Mountain weather is fickle and can sneak up on you. A lightweight bivy, a 3/4 length Z rest and a down or syn jacket in a garbage bag will save your life or make a doable spike camp. A fire is comfy until you get 12 hours of hard rain and winds at night. Many areas in the west have fire restrictions well into hunting season in these days of drought. Early symptoms of hypothermia are mental confusion and loss of dexterity which leads to critical
malfunctions.

Hunting new country is an adventure and can remain fun w/ a little prep and planning.

That was a lot of typing for a simplificationgrin have fun

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 44automag, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.