Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
we've had discussion on boats multiple times on here.

really like my older flat bottom bass tracker with a tiller motor but we took it out on a larger lake with waves and it left me thinking maybe I should consider something a littler more suited to that.

I'd like a console, electric start, maybe 50HP if it fits the boat, welded aluminum but I'd be happy with a 20 - 25 especially if its Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki. I'd prefer 4 stroke. For whatever reason I'm just not a fan of fiberglass.

Pricing is all over the place and I'm not really brand specific - I don't know , maybe I should be. My budget isn't very large - I'm looking for about a $3K - $3.5K so its probably going to be a tracker type boat similar to what I have now - late 80's, maybe early to mid 90s model. No live well or any niceties. I don't see me finding a Lund in that price range with the setup I want.

I'm not in a hurry but when I find the right one I'm going to jump, if a good boat comes up on a craigslist or other platform, its gone in a matter of hours. I lost out on a good one with a Yamaha engine 2 days ago because I farted around and didn't try to call until later. Saturday a guy put an electric start Yamaha motor out on Facebook marketplace for $250, it sold in less than 2 hours. Guy had a Honda 9.9 for $200, same story - you have to setup alerts for what you want , check your email regularly and act on it if you want to get something that isn't junk or pay thru the nose for it.

I think price wise, if I get one with the built in aluminum row seats (I don't know , maybe they all have that) and then add the wood flooring , wiring, etc I'm going to get the most bang for my buck.

Be interested in hearing other approaches if someone thinks I'm off base.

One thing I've noticed - the Bayliner Capri - what is up with that boat? people are selling them all over the place, I read the horror stories about them, especially the gelcoat, but the market is flooded with people selling them at prices that make you think for that price if you get a summer skiing or zipping around out of it, its worth it.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/06/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best in the business.

https://www.gatortraxboats.com/

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Best in the business.

https://www.gatortraxboats.com/

Not even in the same leagued as a heavy welded aluminum from the PNW

www.wooldridgeboats.com

https://www.northriverboats.com

alumaweldboats.com

Of course all these are out of the OP's budget.... but then so is a gatortrax

Oh and Lund is over priced and overrated .

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I lean to a different type of boat completely. Here is my next boat.
https://eddyline.com/collections/kayaks/products/fathom-touring-kayak?variant=32965381521496

In fact I am talking a trade with a man now. I offered one of my best grade Golden Age American Longrifles and he would trade for the boat above. I could simply build it and sell it, but he lives in Colorado not far from the shop that sells the kayaks, and wants to come get the gun in person and shoot it here, have be show him everything about the build and what to expect and maybe come hunting with me next year. So if he can swing the purchase I told him go buy the Kayak and a mated spray skirt, and bring it to me and I'll make the rifle to his specs and give hi that amount of value plus a bit more. The Kayak with the spray skirt will come in at around $3100 (with tax), and I will make a $3500 rifle in trade for it.

I don't know if he's going to do it yet, but we talked about it last Thursday. I'll wait about 2 weeks, and if he doesn't do it, of calls and says he can't swing that amount up front I'll open the offer to anyone that would like to do such a trade.
But other men and women may not be able to deliver a Kayak and pick up the gun, so that part of the deal is not "locked in stone". I could drive to the boat and simply ship the gun, but it sure would be nice if I can get someone to bring it and pick up the gun. I built a wood rack on my little Toyota truck and go get the boat, but if I had to go more then about 2000 miles round trip the trade may not be worth the effort, because I can have the Kayak shipped my truck too.

Small recreational Kayaks are sold my Walmart but sea-worthy kayaks are not big sellers in Wyoming. I see small rec-Kayaks on a LOT of trucks and it's common to see them on the lakes here, but you don't see the longer more sea-worthy Ocean/Touring kayaks much. The longer more sea-worthy kayaks do come in handy when the winds whip out of the mountain and turn those calm mountain lakes into rolling whipping chop 3 to 4 feet high and white capped. Also, I want to go with my Sister to the coast of Alaska next season and my small 10-1/2 foot Old Town Loon Kayak is not the boat for the costal inlets up there, for a 2 week outing. She and fiends outfit off a large power boat for 3-4 day outing in the kayaks and she know folks that do it in Rec-Kayaks, but if the weather gets nasty after you go out, getting back can be a dangerous situation in a rec-kayak. Good Sea/Touring Kayaks are what's needed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boat prices are utterly insane right now wit no end in sight to escalating prices. It's a terrible time to be in the market for a used boat. It's interesting that down on the Gulf Coast, you don't see aluminum boats offshore. In the PNW and AK, there are more aluminum than fiberglass. I prefer fiberglass. It's quieter. In the summer it's cooler and in the winter it's warmer.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Boat prices are utterly insane right now wit no end in sight to escalating prices. It's a terrible time to be in the market for a used boat. It's interesting that down on the Gulf Coast, you don't see aluminum boats offshore. In the PNW and AK, there are more aluminum than fiberglass. I prefer fiberglass. It's quieter. In the summer it's cooler and in the winter it's warmer.

Aluminum seems to hold up better when you hit the rocks, and when the water is froze warmer doesn't matter.
grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chris_c

Aluminum seems to hold up better when you hit the rocks, and when the water is froze warmer doesn't matter.
grin

I don't recommend hitting rocks.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

He ain't lying. Used and new boat prices are out of sight right now, kind of like the housing market. I'd sell and upgrade if I could afford to but any kind of upgrade is going to cost me $20k out of pocket for something that doesn't get used nearly enough. Not trying to discourage you but I think you may be about 1.5-2 years late on trying to find what you are looking for in a $3-3.5k budget. It's possible you may run into something if you keep your eyes peeled and jump when you see it, or may have something word of mouth you find. Good luck!

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 07/06/21.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
...really like my older flat bottom bass tracker with a tiller motor but we took it out on a larger lake with waves and it left me thinking maybe I should consider something a littler more suited to that...
My budget isn't very large - I'm looking for about a $3K - $3.5K...
Bayliner Capri...

"Bayliner Capri" Ugh!

Flat bottom is no good in waves. Get a V-bottom.

For your budget an older fiberglass boat will give the best bang for the buck.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pedal boats are the schidt

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
we've had discussion on boats multiple times on here.

really like my older flat bottom bass tracker with a tiller motor but we took it out on a larger lake with waves and it left me thinking maybe I should consider something a littler more suited to that.

I'd like a console, electric start, maybe 50HP if it fits the boat, welded aluminum but I'd be happy with a 20 - 25 especially if its Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki. I'd prefer 4 stroke. For whatever reason I'm just not a fan of fiberglass.

Pricing is all over the place and I'm not really brand specific - I don't know , maybe I should be. My budget isn't very large - I'm looking for about a $3K - $3.5K so its probably going to be a tracker type boat similar to what I have now - late 80's, maybe early to mid 90s model. No live well or any niceties. I don't see me finding a Lund in that price range with the setup I want.

I'm not in a hurry but when I find the right one I'm going to jump, if a good boat comes up on a craigslist or other platform, its gone in a matter of hours. I lost out on a good one with a Yamaha engine 2 days ago because I farted around and didn't try to call until later. Saturday a guy put an electric start Yamaha motor out on Facebook marketplace for $250, it sold in less than 2 hours. Guy had a Honda 9.9 for $200, same story - you have to setup alerts for what you want , check your email regularly and act on it if you want to get something that isn't junk or pay thru the nose for it.

I think price wise, if I get one with the built in aluminum row seats (I don't know , maybe they all have that) and then add the wood flooring , wiring, etc I'm going to get the most bang for my buck.

Be interested in hearing other approaches if someone thinks I'm off base.

One thing I've noticed - the Bayliner Capri - what is up with that boat? people are selling them all over the place, I read the horror stories about them, especially the gelcoat, but the market is flooded with people selling them at prices that make you think for that price if you get a summer skiing or zipping around out of it, its worth it.
If Paul Barnard is right about boat prices, then who knows? I would not go with a boat that I had to do a bunch of major stuff to from the get-go. Otherwise, you'd be better off waiting for the prices to come down. Your goal is to get on the water quickly and you aren't doing that if you've got to fix up a boat, so you might as well wait and get a better one to begin with.

Bayliner Capri...no offense, but that's fiberglass. Totally different boat than you're speaking of above and if you're in the market for something like that, then it's a different set of recommendations.

The Capri I looked at briefly was $3600. No age given. Guesswork is that by age, that's pretty high. It's not off the charts though, especially if it's good for it's age. That's the thing, boat prices are always all over the place. Bayliner's were notorious for being cheap boats and not of good quality, about like a Tracker. They generally come with a Force Outboard, which have been defunct for a number of years, so parts? The one I looked at had a Mercruiser. Some people like I/O's, others hate them. Be advised. Bayliners were the butt of many jokes but there are a lot of them still around. This may be because they were better than people thought or just a testament to how many were sold in the first place. No experience with one.

What kind of hull do you want? You like the jon boat type hull of your current boat but you describe some dissatisfaction in rough seas. A semi-vee would help in that regard. I certainly like your idea of console steering. I don't like tiller boats, personally.

What I'd look for would be a vee or semi-vee about 16' long with a good motor. You should be able during normal times to find one in your price range, used. Most will be riveted. I wouldn't worry about finding an all-welded boat as there are advantages and disadvantages, but if you are determined to find one you should be able to. Just make sure the rivets are good to begin with or you're into what I talked about first, repairs. Same with welds.

Lowe, Polar Kraft (possibly now out of business), G3, Alumaweld, Alumacraft, Lund, Tracker, are examples of brands that will be adequate for you.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
From what I've seen of boat prices lately, you're not going to get anything much for $3K - $3.5K. I just sold a 15 year old,14' G-3, welded hull, tiller steered 2-stroke Yamaha for $2000 and it went so fast it left me thinking I should have priced it another $500 or $750 higher.

For fishing and duck hunting I want an aluminum boat if I'm going to be running rivers and lakes where there's any possibility/need to pull it up on a rocky shore. I also like the lighter weight of a 2-stroke outboard when having to drag a boat through several inches of flooded marsh grass duck hunting, but 2 strokes are kind of going the way of the passenger pigeon.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to stick with Yamaha for an outboard, but it's your money and your time.

Mathew 22: 37-39

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Sold my 2003 17' Smoker Craft with 45Hp Johnson 2-stroke tiller for $4500 2 years ago. Buyer & seller were happy at that exchange price. He could probably make money today, but good luck replacing it!

Unlikely prices will come down; they will only level off. Until the next recession.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Locally here - Bayliners don't command any price, regardless of age it seems.

They're seen as the Chevy Cavalier of the boating world.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn
I lean to a different type of boat completely. Here is my next boat.
https://eddyline.com/collections/kayaks/products/fathom-touring-kayak?variant=32965381521496

In fact I am talking a trade with a man now. I offered one of my best grade Golden Age American Longrifles and he would trade for the boat above. I could simply build it and sell it, but he lives in Colorado not far from the shop that sells the kayaks, and wants to come get the gun in person and shoot it here, have be show him everything about the build and what to expect and maybe come hunting with me next year. So if he can swing the purchase I told him go buy the Kayak and a mated spray skirt, and bring it to me and I'll make the rifle to his specs and give hi that amount of value plus a bit more. The Kayak with the spray skirt will come in at around $3100 (with tax), and I will make a $3500 rifle in trade for it.

I don't know if he's going to do it yet, but we talked about it last Thursday. I'll wait about 2 weeks, and if he doesn't do it, of calls and says he can't swing that amount up front I'll open the offer to anyone that would like to do such a trade.
But other men and women may not be able to deliver a Kayak and pick up the gun, so that part of the deal is not "locked in stone". I could drive to the boat and simply ship the gun, but it sure would be nice if I can get someone to bring it and pick up the gun. I built a wood rack on my little Toyota truck and go get the boat, but if I had to go more then about 2000 miles round trip the trade may not be worth the effort, because I can have the Kayak shipped my truck too.

Small recreational Kayaks are sold my Walmart but sea-worthy kayaks are not big sellers in Wyoming. I see small rec-Kayaks on a LOT of trucks and it's common to see them on the lakes here, but you don't see the longer more sea-worthy Ocean/Touring kayaks much. The longer more sea-worthy kayaks do come in handy when the winds whip out of the mountain and turn those calm mountain lakes into rolling whipping chop 3 to 4 feet high and white capped. Also, I want to go with my Sister to the coast of Alaska next season and my small 10-1/2 foot Old Town Loon Kayak is not the boat for the costal inlets up there, for a 2 week outing. She and fiends outfit off a large power boat for 3-4 day outing in the kayaks and she know folks that do it in Rec-Kayaks, but if the weather gets nasty after you go out, getting back can be a dangerous situation in a rec-kayak. Good Sea/Touring Kayaks are what's needed.

The Fathom is a great kayak, though it may take some getting used to for a relatively new paddler. They are very well regarded and hold their value well. The Fathom LV (now discontinued) is also worth a look for the small to medium-sized paddler. You may also consider the Sitka line from Eddyline. Not as fast as the Fathom, but certainly no slouch and a bit more friendly for those still getting their feet wet.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yea I don't want a Bayliner Capri as a fishing boat. I don't want one at all , but its like every 5th boat for sale is a Bayliner Capri. But if you wanted a ski boat for a summer, they can be had for $2000 with a 50HP motor.

I agree about boat prices - they do seem a bit crazy right now. I can find junk for $1500 and then the good boats are $6500.

There is almost nothing in my range and usually the motor is beat to hell and back - probably an 80's era Evinrude.

I was planning on going up to a semi-v for bigger water sources.

The good news is I have a perfectly fine fishing boat with a 25HP tiller so I don't have to do anything.

My son landed this yesterday in a smaller lake down the road...caught it on a spinning lure
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

'

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, these guys are right on prices/availability right now. Boats are priced stupid-high and selling fast. Your beat bet is to whittle down what you want, then watch all classifieds like a hawk. Be prepared to act fast.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

NRA Benefactor life member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you can find one, a Tracker Classic (formerly the Heritage) is a great little boat. It's a semi-vee and not a "big water" boat but it handles waves to 3' just fine. New ones with a 50 Merc are now $15 and there's a six-month waiting list. Used ones go quick, so if you see an ad for one, jump.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
that simmons is a monster.

I can't see me ever wanting any serious HP, I'm perfectly fine going 15-20mph to get where I need to go.

Yea, those Trackers catch my eye - seems like a great setup, easy to use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (257 roberts, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.