Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The guy's that use dogs to hunt Coyotes, are a pain in the Butt, they want to watch their dogs, run around with a Coyote, and brag on their dog, leave the damn dog home you will kill a lot more coyotes, if that's what you are out there for. ask me how i know? Rio7

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by erich
And wasn't that a rush. You'll remember that one long after you've forgotten the on you potted at 300 yard.

I've had them rip callers out of the brush, make running leaps and grab decoys four feet off the ground, more than once run over partners I was calling for and had fox jump off a snow bank and land between my knees. That's predator hunting at it's best.

I have been calling in Fox and Coyotes for 49 yrs this fall. I have more hang up at 100 yds plus than ever get close enough to see the hackles standing up or teeth showing. I have shot 1000's of predators and it does not matter to me. I still get excited when one or multiples are coming in. I can drive by spots and think back to the time I called something in at that area.

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nothing wrong with shooting off a bipod or tripod setup. If you are enjoying it, and dropping dogs at long distance, then go for it. There will always be guys who want to trash talk.

I have heard it for years. Essentially what they are saying is that if you don't do it the way I do it then you are not a real hunter. Same old story.

Personally I like busting a dog at 500 yards. Shooting one coming barreling in at 5 yards is exciting too! Both are fun. I don't discriminate, If the dog wants to keep coming, I will let him, but if it looks like he is going to hold up or turn tail then that is where he is going to get a Scenar or a Match King.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This Rio7

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Nothing wrong with shooting off a bipod or tripod setup. If you are enjoying it, and dropping dogs at long distance, then go for it. There will always be guys who want to trash talk.

I have heard it for years. Essentially what they are saying is that if you don't do it the way I do it then you are not a real hunter. Same old story.

Personally I like busting a dog at 500 yards. Shooting one coming barreling in at 5 yards is exciting too! Both are fun. I don't discriminate, If the dog wants to keep coming, I will let him, but if it looks like he is going to hold up or turn tail then that is where he is going to get a Scenar or a Match King.

Another vote for....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing wrong with being setup to kill at 600 yards and up close in your face.

I can and have done both with the same rig, don’t need no tripod and monopod slowing me down when a coyote runs in 10 yards to my right. I had a hard enough time moving a bi-pod through the grass in that situation.

And I’m my 40 years of calling, I’ve never seen a season where all the coyotes refuse to come in. The few that do have you pegged before you start calling.

I’m not beyond taking a target of opportunity and it has nothing to do with my way or else. There’s just better ways to do things.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Im in the TWR camp, just prefer shooting them in close, but no grudge to those who like to take the long poke. Ive been calling predators for right at 45 years in southern Arizona and still never tire of it, don't hunt anywhere near as hard as I once did, but hit it for about 2 months each winter and call it good. I bet Ive shot and killed less than a dozen coyotes that were past 300 yards, but also know Ive killed in the triple digit amount that were well under 100 yards, and I like them under 50 If they cooperate. Coyotes will and do hang up way out there on occasion, but I figure maybe I'll get them next time and don't sweat it, enough come hard to the call to meet my expectations and make for good hunts. I shoot one of the BB guns, a .17 mach4, so I don't really have any business shooting past 300, which feels like a gawd awful long poke now anyway.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I will even kill them with one of my elk guns if the situations presents itself. This one presented itself, right after a nasty storm rolled though and I was coming off a mountain. I had a .300WM with a fixed 10 SWFA. It is zeroed 1 mil high @ 100, little over 300 yard zero. I saw the dog as he was going away from me and plopped down threw the bipod out, got the hairs on him and the rest was history. He was just about to disappear from sight when dropped him.

Close or far, they are fun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Plus this was very close to a ranch, just up the road from my property, so one less calf killer. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a friend that says “what went wrong between me and the coyotes can’t be fixed.”

I think one killed his dog.

He’s a disabled vet, with bum feet from an accident involving heavy objects falling on his arches and toes, but moves pretty fast to get in shooting position when a coyote presents itself.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Coyotes get blamed for lots of things they don’t always do and folks claim all sorts of reasons to kill them. Killing calves is rare but killing pets is very common.

I’ve been fortunate enough to gain access to places most can’t just to thin them out but there’s one place that stands out. A guy I know married an English woman who hated guns and hunting in general. One night a coyote got her lap dog and I got to kill coyotes.

“what went wrong between me and the coyotes can’t be fixed.”

I like that.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
What is your rig, caliber and scope? Looks like a great set up.

Bob

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

What ever gun i have in my hands or close by is my Coyote gun. when I see a Coyote, here they get about 30% of our White Tail Fawns, Rio7

F
Faith Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Bob: Photos are 2 rifles. I carry both in by buggy and then use each one depending on the terrain. One for long range open country, the other for more when i am in cover.
1. RPR in 243, 5x25 vortex. 108 a max
2. 243 WSSM 5-20 nightforce. 69 grain bergers.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TWR
Coyotes get blamed for lots of things they don’t always do and folks claim all sorts of reasons to kill them. Killing calves is rare but killing pets is very common.

I’ve been fortunate enough to gain access to places most can’t just to thin them out but there’s one place that stands out. A guy I know married an English woman who hated guns and hunting in general. One night a coyote got her lap dog and I got to kill coyotes.

“what went wrong between me and the coyotes can’t be fixed.”

I like that.

With all due respect, sir, I strongly disagree. Here in SE NM, coyotes killing calves is very common. I personally know of over a dozen killed in this county alone since the first of the year.

As far as long distance coyote shooting goes, I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em. In your face or past 500 yards, it's all good.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 07/17/21. Reason: Added text.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If we all agreed on every subject, why would we bother reading here?

They do kill calves but they also get blamed for killing still born calves too. I worked a ranch that had the best coyote hunting around years ago. Kill one and two more would show up for the funeral and decide to stay. We had more problems with dogs than we ever did with coyotes. But coyotes get the blame and that gets me new places to hunt.

No problem.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TWR
If we all agreed on every subject, why would we bother reading here?

They do kill calves but they also get blamed for killing still born calves too. I worked a ranch that had the best coyote hunting around years ago. Kill one and two more would show up for the funeral and decide to stay. We had more problems with dogs than we ever did with coyotes. But coyotes get the blame and that gets me new places to hunt.

No problem.

You're right, sometimes I don't even agree with myself! blush I come here to learn, and when I'm confronted with something I disagree with, it makes me really look at my opinion/assumption/"knowledge".

I guess, the difference between your experience and mine is the lack of feral dogs in this area. Yes, coyotes will eat stillborn calves and ranchers will blame the coyotes for killing them, but if the sign around the calf carcass is still viable, you will see signs of the calf's struggles and/or momma cow's defense of her young.

It's easy to tell the difference between a dog-killed calf and a coyote killed calf if it is not totally eaten by the time you get there. I have to do it every time I get a call about a dead calf.

With the ban on trapping/snaring/poisons on all public lands in NM starting next July 1, our only option for control will be calling & shooting.

Come out here and I'll introduce you to some ranchers 'cause we're going to need all the help we can get.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Careful with the invites, I used to hunt West Texas and loved it, used to it wouldn’t take much to make me head that way. Now I’ve got too many responsibilities here at home.

I certainly didn’t mean to imply they never kill a calf cause they do but compared to small dogs and cats, the numbers are lopsided, at least around here. I’ve just watched so many coyotes walking in among the cows and calves only to pick out the goods in a cow pile rather than chase a standing calf. But I’ve seen a momma defending her calf enough to know coyotes can be a huge problem.

I can’t/won’t tell you how many times I’ve seen the neighbors tame lovable dogs chase a cow or calf just for fun. Not always feral dogs that are the problem.

Take care.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He is exterminating them for a rancher who loses cows to them.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you considered a bigger caliber with heavy high ballistic coefficient bullets? 300. Win mag with 180grain bullets

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made a rifle rest out of a surveyor’s tripod which worked well.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Amos63, 7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 10 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,668
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.