Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
To the OP.

They are not welded, but I have found the little Lund to be durable as hell. My 16 footer never leaked a drop and it is an 1986 model.

You can find the oar type hull like you are talking about fairly reasonable on the used market. This one is rated for a forty horse, I had a Merc 18 on it. It topped out at 14 mph with just me at 3000 ft altitude. With Momma and three grandkids with fishing gear it would do 11 or 12 mph.

I owned a flat bottom Shasta earlier. It was a POS. The aluminum was soft and thin. Pounding of hitting small waves on a lake actually broke the bottom out of it.

The Lund was a deeper V. It tossed the spray to the side instead of up and onto the passengers. It cut the waves better.Mostly, the Lund is built of high quality Aluminum. You can really tell the difference when you hit it with a drill.

Like you speak of, I put in a wood floor to keep the kids feet off of the aluminum. I installed an 18 gallon onboard fuel tank, a console and dash with remote steering and gauges.

The little red Lund was a hell of a good boat, and I was not into it too awful deep. If I had it to do again, I would have put a 35 to 40 horse on it and built the console from Aluminum I stead of plywood.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
For bigger water you need a deep v... semi or flat you will get soaked when choppy.

You need a 16ft deep v with a 45 to 50 hp minimum from what you descibe.

Otherwise just stay with what you got.

Kent

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't think its the Bayliner hull you need to be concerned with nearly so much as the engine. Force motors weren't good, and still aren't. Bayliners are around because they sold a ton of them in the 80's and 90's...and lots are still around. They were made in Pipestone MN, perhaps elsewhere, and they did a nice job. I was in the market for a boat mid 90's. Bayliner didn't have a model I was interested in, but I was looking at Yar-Craft. Dealer had both on the floor, and I noted the waves in the side of the hull of the "premium" boat. The Bayliner had none of that, straight as a pin, and I said so. The guy said he thought he could sell more of the Bayliners if they'd change the motor and increase the price.

Anyway, good luck in your search. You'll find something. The guy selling the boat you want isn't likely on FaceCrap and has never heard of Craigslist. You might go and get 40 individual wallet size portraits of Benjamin Franklin and drive around boating country til you see what you like parked by the side of the road with a For Sale sign on it. I've often thought of doing that in Minnesota and Wisconsin whenever the urge for a 16' Lund strikes me. So far I've resisted but one of these springs, I'll give in.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
When I was researching boats to buy. The late model Bass Trackers are considered the cheapest built popular boat you can buy. They do sell a bunch though. Depends on where you spend most of your time fishing.
I have a semi V aluminum boat fitted out like a bass boat with an outboard jet
Perfect for shallow river fishing and occasional lake use. It wouldn't be my choice for large open water lakes.
If you fish small waters and big you need.2 boats.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I tried looking at some boat storage/repair places and they were asking a premium for boats but I was thinking that if I started spending some time around marinas / bait shops, etc I might find a bulletin board boat that is right.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sockpuppet, I sent you a PM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Build ya one. This one took me about 300 hours labor.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
[Linked Image]

Uber

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Boat prices are utterly insane right now wit no end in sight to escalating prices. It's a terrible time to be in the market for a used boat. It's interesting that down on the Gulf Coast, you don't see aluminum boats offshore. In the PNW and AK, there are more aluminum than fiberglass. I prefer fiberglass. It's quieter. In the summer it's cooler and in the winter it's warmer.

Aluminum seems to hold up better when you hit the rocks, and when the water is froze warmer doesn't matter.
grin

I don't recommend hitting rocks.

Mite have to stay home then ......lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
u need to wait a year and see where the markets at ...prices are unreal rite now ....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
[Linked Image]

Very cool... stitch & glue?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Price of everydamnthing has gone apey. $3500 wouldn’t cover a decent outboard these days.

Maybe find an old rotted out, welded hull to gut and do a basic build on? Treated plywood with carpet will last several years and is easy to replace. Build a simple floor and console, rig up a cooler seat or two

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
u need to wait a year and see where the markets at ...prices are unreal rite now ....

probably good advice given the market

this is pretty much what I had in mind - that's a $4K boat here right now (it sold 2 days ago or I'd be checking it out)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KFWA; 07/06/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Teal
Locally here - Bayliners don't command any price, regardless of age it seems.

They're seen as the Chevy Cavalier of the boating world.

Same here. The “Trophy” line can be picked up dirt cheap.
Lots of different uses/needs when talking boats. I’d buy a 21’ - 24’ CC for my needs. Sold my proline and not buying another til I have enough free time to enjoy it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KFWA

this is pretty much what I had in mind - that's a $4K boat here right now (it sold 2 days ago or I'd be checking it out)

That boat and motor is junk. Wait for a Lund and a Yamaha

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Teal
Locally here - Bayliners don't command any price, regardless of age it seems.

They're seen as the Chevy Cavalier of the boating world.

Same here. The “Trophy” line can be picked up dirt cheap.
Lots of different uses/needs when talking boats. I’d buy a 21’ - 24’ CC for my needs. Sold my proline and not buying another til I have enough free time to enjoy it.

They have a pretty nice Mako CC here in Cabela's - which blows my mind. We're pretty solid walleye boat country. Many of the salmon boats are just converted pocket cruisers. Not a ton of CC much less NEW CC and the cost that goes with.

Me

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

dag, I won't argue about the motor, but I like that boat - well the semi-v equivalent of it anyways

Last edited by KFWA; 07/06/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know you are on a tight budget, but I would hold out awhile longer, save more and wait for prices to drop. Then I would highly recommend a four stroke motor.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I sold a 14' tiller Alumacraft w/25hp Evinrude last fall for $2800.. it was just over 30 years old... Last week on Craig's list I saw a similar boat, same set up on a roller trailer for $5800... it wasn't sold for that... it was just the asking price. The boat market is just crazy...

The same note... I bought a new 16' tiller Alumacraft w/50hp Evinrude on a roller trailer for $15000 last Thanks Giving... I have seen several similar boats on sale last week for $19k to $21k

The boat market is just nuts.... You might do well waiting 'till winter and wait for the boat you want at your price...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They leak a lot and are flimsy. I had one years ago. be patient and keep your feelers out and keep checking every day. good luck

Originally Posted by ribka

dag, I won't argue about the motor, but I like that boat - well the semi-v equivalent of it anyways

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 25 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,706
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.