Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
iHunt20 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I've been looking into getting as distanced as possible from large populations and wildly out of control emboldened government. It's how I want to live my life and I don't care to debate the merits.

I have a lot of experience with cold-weather survival and self-sufficiency, but Northern land is much more expensive. There are small high desert plats that are extremely affordable, because they're in the desert. People do have self-sufficient homesteads in this kind of climate. Solar powered refrigeration, rainwater collection, cisterns, greenhouses, and small livestock such as chickens.

What concerns me is my lack of experience in this kind of climate. Also not having as many meat hunting opportunities. But I could afford a lot more equipment and structures with the much cheaper land. Perhaps more socially interesting on occasion.

Any thoughts/advice/ramblings would be greatly appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of cheap high desert land on the mesa around Tao’s New Mexico and some pretty scenery in the nearby mountains as long as you don’t mind living in an area full of hippies.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen numerous land deals in NM,AZ, and West Texas that were selling acreage tracts of land comparatively cheap.

The main problems with them as relating to off grid life are:

1) No water. In most places, you cannot find enough water table to drill even deep, expensive water well. Forget a rain catch system. It won't rain enough to support your living. It may help at times, but not an option.

2) Electricity. Getting power of any sort to your property is probably cost prohibitive with either solar/wind, or power poles from the electric supplier.

3) Forget hunting. It's desert, and it takes many, many acres to support even one animal. And the competition for that one animal is unbelievable.

But, by all means, do try it. Many have. I'd say about 2% last more than a year.... Then the land developer forecloses and sells the tract to another optimist.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Solve your water issue first. There's a reason it's sparsely populated. Whether it's a deep well,rainwater collection, or water hauling, your water will determine most everything else including hunting opportunities.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Water. You said rainwater collection. You sure don't want to rely on that. We haven't had enough rain to fill a cistern in the last 3 or 4 years. You need land with a reliable source of water and you MUST have water rights on it. If you don't have the rights, someone else does and when water gets short, they can shut you down. Self sufficiency requires growing crops and they all need water. While annual rainfall might look good, it's typical that it all comes in the winter. It's normal in the high desert to have no rain at all for 6 months at a time. In many desert areas there's actually good ground water but you have to go down quite a ways to get it and then you need more than solar panels to pump it. Here in Idaho you can drill a domestic well without rights but you can't water more than about 1/2 acre from it. Almost all ground water rights are junior to surface rights. If your well starts depleting someone's spring, they can shut you down. It's happening here in Idaho right now.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
A cistern in the desert? I've heard some far fetched shirt but this one is out there. Man can't survive in one place without a plentiful water supply.

Life is good live it while you can.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ideas on filtering, and treating rain water to drink?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon

There are Reverse Osmosis(RO) systems out there that don't require power to operate that will handle almost everything you'll run across, but require periodic filter changes.

Not only is water quantity an issue, but water quality. Someone may pick a spot for a well, drill the well, produce all the volume you could ever use, only to discover that it's contaminated with salts (quite common in this part of NM), heavy metals (less common), or hydrocarbons (least common).

I know of one ranch well around here that has water so contaminated with magnesium and potassium salts that one glass (if you could get past the smell of hydrogen sulfide) will give you the greatest colon cleanse you'd ever experience. They pump water from the Pecos River, run it through a particulate filter, water softener, charcoal filter and a RO system to get potable water.

It's best to just find good water first. Everywhere in this part of the world has a Water District Office that can give advise on water availability and quality.

If I were looking for an off-grid location, those folks would be first on my list, before I even talked with a Realtor.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There are reasons the Indians of the SW were among the poorest in North America.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Are you moving to the desert now too?

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
A cistern in the desert? I've heard some far fetched shirt but this one is out there. Man can't survive in one place without a plentiful water supply.

I have a buried cistern. It was originally used by the well to store water so the pump only ran when needed. Well was dry when we bought the place, but we plan on storing rainwater in it. The water collected doesn't all need to come from the roof. A ground level collector can easily feed into a buried tank. One inch of rain on an acre is 27,000 gallons. Most is lost to evaporation, transpiration, runoff, and other means.

For the moment, we are looking to collect non-potable water for bathroom use and use jugs of potable water for drinking and cooking. It's not ideal, nor easy, but it is doable.

Here's a reference: Modern Potable Rainwater Harvesting: System Design, Construction, and Maintenance by Daniel M Brown

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
There are reasons the Indians of the SW were among the poorest in North America.

Too drunk to work? Eat up with The Beetus’ ?
Dead horse blocking the driveway?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Joined yesterday. .gov much?

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's often easier to treat rainwater than well water. If you're lucky enough to have a good well, be thankful. Most groundwater has all manner of different issues needing anything from softening to heavy metals.

Rainwater is already softened, and the quality is more consistent regardless of terrain. The major drawback is consistent supply. Just one dry spell can cause disaster.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Power should be no problem in such a place. Power can solve a lot of problems. You can even make bad water good given the right situation.

Remember. Complete isolation my not be a good thing in some future scenario.

Change your life style expectations. You don't have to be dirty and poor, but changing your lifestyle to avoid living a classic American lifestyle would help a lot.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Best thing to do in my opinion, take off some time from work, load up your gear, head out to an area you are considering and camp out for a few weeks. Reality check.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

There are quite a few places in the desert areas where there is quite a bit of precipitation and in good years you can save a lot of water with a water harvesting system, not only from rainfall/snow but also heavy dew. There are "Drip Tank" wildlife waterers in the desert around here that accumulate a surprising amount of water.

Will it be enough for a family? Probably not given the way we use water in this country, but water can be hauled in.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shooter71
Joined yesterday. .gov much?

Exactly

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Best thing to do in my opinion, take off some time from work, load up your gear, head out to an area you are considering and camp out for a few weeks. Reality check.

That's a good idea.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why not just pick someplace that has plenty of water?

There’s stretches of highway with nothing for 3,4 miles even more in Miss, Ala, Arkansas,

Find yourself a place in the Ozarks

I don’t get the enchantment of dust, sand, rocks, cactus, lack of game, no where to fish, no streams.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,513
Posts18,490,790
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.