Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long story short.....

Cold.
Beer.
Sweet gum.

Sweet gum burns HOT in an insert. Not back log material. But it burns hot.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"When you cut your own wood, it heats you twice."

Negative, ghostrider. I counted one time. It’s more like seven (7) times!

Sheesh!!

Hold into the cords!!!

7 is about right. Put up 5 cords this spring. Two wood stoves in the house and one in the cabin. Enough wood stacked for two years.

Hear folks about permits, built from scratch and needed two permits, electrical and septic. Wonderful living in the sticks.

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
We're running a boiler outside it can take a 30" cut but I run 24 in case the wife has to load the stove. Mostly red and white oak. Some maple. The maple goes up quick.

Seems if ai fill 'er up after work I get a full 24hours when burning good oak. When it's loaded with maple I throw a few pieces in before work.

3 rows 6-7 feet high 28 feet long under an awning off the garage right by the stove.

Neighbor just clearcut his 20acres so the wood is there to pickup. I plan on dragging out a few more insurance logs in case we run out. The after hunting season skidding out next year's logs. Hopefully be done in May or June next year at the latest.

I sell a lot of the junk for 50$ a face cord to local campers. A face cord is 1 row 4 x 8

Hunt...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Something relaxing about splitting wood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by 673
I have always used wood for heat, we dont have gas here and electricity is too expensive.
I have cut about 100 cords since april, been down for 2 weeks now because of the heat and fire risk. I prepared with about 30 cords squirreled away just for that reason. I have to work in all weather to keep up with my customers demands, but the law says I could be liable for a forest fire, so for now its a no go.

What do y’all burn up there? Do y’all have any hardwoods or is it all conifers?

Conifers is pretty much it where I am here, birch not to far away but my customers want Fir and Pine. It would be nice to have hardwood, but we don't.

Drive on down to my place. We have too many oaks cluttering up the pasture.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got my wood up last night and it did feel good.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I love to burn the wood stove. I got my woodshed packed full in April. It takes about 7 months for the wood to get dry enough to burn well.
I love to cut up firewood and split it with the maul.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My backup wood pile. Under the carport. Two stacks wide, four feet high, sixteen feet long. White oak, ash, and locust. About 15 percent moisture. Premium firewood. I don't stack rotten wood. If more than five percent of the wood is rotten I leave it.

My wood shed. This little shed is 8 x 12. It is full, today, of black walnut and white oak and locust. Believe it or not, the little wood shed holds twice as much wood as the backup pile under the carport.

The backup to the backup pile, beneath the kitchen window. This is a nice little pile, five feet high by 16 feet long. Nothing but locust. At 28 million btu per cord, locust is the best firewood available hands down. A blight killed all the locust so the party is about over. I have two more locust trees standing and then, all gone.
During the day I burn black walnut, or oak. When it is 10 pm and time for bed, I load up the wood stove with locust for a long burn.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Let me know when they make a wood burning air conditioner.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by CBB
Done earlier than the last couple years. May drag a few logs in just for insurance. But I'm confident I have enough for winter.

I prefer cold weather for working up firewood. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is that a 440?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I love to burn the wood stove. I got my woodshed packed full in April. It takes about 7 months for the wood to get dry enough to burn well.

My backup wood pile. Under the carport. Two stacks wide, four feet high, sixteen feet long. White oak, ash, and locust. About 15 percent moisture. Premium firewood. I don't stack rotten wood. If more than five percent of the wood is rotten I leave it.

My wood shed. This little shed is 8 x 12. It is full, today, of black walnut and white oak and locust. Believe it or not, the little wood shed holds twice as much wood as the backup pile under the carport.

The backup to the backup pile, beneath the kitchen window. This is a nice little pile, five feet high by 16 feet long. Nothing but locust. At 28 million btu per cord, locust is the best firewood available hands down. A blight killed all the locust so the party is about over. I have two more locust trees standing and then, all gone.
During the day I burn black walnut, or oak. When it is 10 pm and time for bed, I load up the wood stove with locust for a long burn.

Osage Orange, or hedge as we call it burns a goodly amount hotter than locust.

Nothing wrong w locust at all as a heating wood though. Get some hedge, locust and hackberry and you have some pretty good firewood.

Mix some oak and hickory in and you are set.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/10/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Heated with wood four winters in Oregon and two in Minnesota. In Mn still had to use some gas though. Was hard work but fun. I to old for that now.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our modest wood rack in Ontario.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
And stove.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by slumlord

3100 sq ft home.
still seems like a lot of wood.

Burning a lot of wood in TN to stay warm? Get out of here.

3,100 sf - is that an octuple-wide?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I always stay ahead by 2 winters. I have 18 cord of red oak split ranked and ready. The last 4 years our gas furnace never kicked on.

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
[quote=simonkenton7]I love to burn the wood stove. I got my woodshed packed full in April. It takes about 7 months for the wood to get dry enough to burn well.

My backup wood pile.
Osage Orange, or hedge as we call it burns a goodly amount hotter than locust.

Nothing wrong w locust at all as a heating wood though. Get some hedge, locust and hackberry and you have some pretty good firewood.

Mix some oak and hickory in and you are set.

Osage Orange. I have heard of this wood. I just looked it up. 32.9 million BTU per cord. Good God that is unreal. That is the highest rank firewood I have ever seen. My locust at 28 million BTU is not nearly as good.
However, I would have to travel 1,000 miles to get any Osage Orange. I will have to stick with locust which, as I said, next year will be all gone. But I still have plenty of oak and ash.

Daisy the Beagle loves the Norwegian wood stove and so do I. My girlfriend calls this stove her new religion.

Where are you that you get this Osage Orange? Does it grow up as a tall tree like an oak, or is it twisty and gnarly? Damn I'd like to get my hands on a truckload of that stuff. Is it hard to split with a maul? Locust is easy to split.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.