Print Thread
Hop To
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Have a 2016 4runner. Installed a tekonsha brake controller. Worked last year, this year doesn't the way it's supposed to.
When trailer is hooked up, I get a green light on the controller.
When I slide the lever over, it activates the trailer brake.
When I use the brake pedal, it doesn't activate the trailer brake.
Trailer brake fuse under hood is intact.

My guess is something between the foot brake and the controller aren't working, any ideas where to start or what to look for?

Thanks, I installed via plug and play straight into car.

Since install last year, I have run 2ga power through a warn shutoff switch to the back of the car, they share a ground under the dash.
I had a turn signal blow that connected to the other filament in the bulb and gave a rapid flash. Changed bulb and all is well.

The above may have nothing to do with the controller, just two things that come to mind from when it last worked to when it for sure didn't.

Keep Smiling

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does the controller allow for adjustment of braking?

Usually, when using the brakes, and you don't see it hitting the trailer brakes, it's set too low, and you have to increase the braking settings to the trailer brakes.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
If it is a proportional trailer brake controller I don't believe it is supposed to apply braking to the trailer when stopped. It uses motion to determine how much braking to apply. I really don't know anything though - just how I understood it on mine.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hate trailer brakes. I even hate the word trailer brakes!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
????????
Is this an inertial controlled unit? One must assume so as most of today's vehicles do not allow you to tie into brake system hydraulics to control the trailer brakes.

I have installed and use two of this type since I moved away from hydraulic controlled units.

They do not do much braking until they sense deceleration of the tow vehicle, unless you use the manual slider.

Orientation of the controller is important. The controller must be installed close to horizontal for the deceleration sensor to work properly. If installed vertically, they do not automatically apply brakes to trailer.

Hope you find an answer in there somewhere.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
????????
Is this an inertial controlled unit? One must assume so as most of today's vehicles do not allow you to tie into brake system hydraulics to control the trailer brakes.

I have installed and use two of this type since I moved away from hydraulic controlled units.

They do not do much braking until they sense deceleration of the tow vehicle, unless you use the manual slider.

Orientation of the controller is important. The controller must be installed close to horizontal for the deceleration sensor to work properly. If installed vertically, they do not automatically apply brakes to trailer.

OMFG

LMAO

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a trailer brake fuse in the controller.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
????????

OMFG

LMAO

Simple mind, huh?

Would you like pictures? Perhaps copies of installation instructions?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No ,I don’t think you have a simple mind.

LMAO

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Electronic trailer brake units work off of inertia. Mine works fine, has for 12 years.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It may be one of the models which has an internal pendulum which provides for inertia modulation AND grade or attitude modulation. The booklet that came with it will give you the limits of the mounting position. Double check that. If it works manually by moving the slide rheostat, it's very likely the pendulum (it's not really a pendulum, I think it's a magnetic proximity switch). There are newer models out now that can be mounted in any position, truly white man's magic. If you lost the booklet, you can get it online.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
you should have a self resetting breaker under the hood on the brake power feed. you might want to check that too while you are trouble shooting.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check the wire/connection from the brake pedal switch to the controller.
The controller needs to know when the brake is applied.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.