Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've always heard that porro prism binoculars offer a better value than roof prisms. I know that the Leupold Yosemites (now discontinued I believe) were seen as pretty good binos considering the price, along with clones such as the ones made by Kowa.

For those who have used the small 30mm porro prism binoculars, how did they compare with roof prisms in the same size range (8x32s mostly) in the under $200 price class? How much would I have to spend to get a better mid size binocular than the Yosemites or Kowa YF II's?

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think they're better than roofs in the sub $200 range aside from the sightron big sky 8x32 and its clones(sig, kenko, fujinon, etc).

When you step to the price range of the Leupold Mojave 8x32, or I guess it's now the Pro Guide HD, you are getting into glass that's quite a bit better than the little porros.

Still, the Yosemites are sweet. My only complaint is that the focus knob doesn't function real well in the bitter cold.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
There is no shortage of discussion on the very subject. There are some online reviews and comparisons of these that are done surprisingly enough, by people who are not selling binoculars. I was researching your same questions some years back, and found that the birdwatchers are optics people of the first rank. They know the subject matter thoroughly. Start with searches of Audubon, bird watching optics etc.
Personally after a lot of reading, a few years ago, I went with small porros of an earlier generation, mostly because I have an interpupillary distance that is very wide. Now you can get roof prism for porro prices with no compromise whatsoever. Audubon rates by, pick your price, and then rates the contenders in your price group. The amazing thing to me, is so little difference between the contenders...they rate on an arbitrary numerical scale, and there may only be .3 difference between the best and the worst. Trying a few at home on the USAF optic resolving chart, seldom can you score one whole line higher. The Yosemite is a great binoc, but wouldn't open wide enough for my eyes.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,430
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.