Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect quite a few Campfire members of a certain age still remember ads like this, which appeared in a mid-1960s American Rifleman. They're willing to allow a little for inflation, but still hope for something in the sub-$500 price range:

[Linked Image]

That’s where Dad got his. Plus 2 1917 Enfield Models and a M1 Carbine. All three still unmolested, thankfully!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/11/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As others have stated, an unmolested (refurbished) one will start at 1K and climb, throw in "real nice" (seldom encountered these days) and expect to pay up for a piece of US Military History. There will always be exceptions to every rule. The last real nice one I encountered was from a collector I know and that one was 1K over 10 years ago that he hand picked at Camp Perry probably twice that many years earlier. Said it was the nicest one he laid his hands on and was able to purchase, and he owned a lot of Garands, M1A's, 17's and 03's. He is up in years and sold off most of his collection and always asks about his rifle, and will always get the same reply, still keeping his other Military friends company.
Good luck in your search and hope that you find a deal.

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I once handled an 03-A3 that had been sporterized for hunting. While I have no interest in them I could not deny the fine example of American craftsmanship. I was very impressed with it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I gave $600 or $650 for my very good 03-A3.
15 -20 years ago.
No, it's not for sale - the grandkids are gonna get it.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 10at6
$1200 for a nice one

Yep. At least. The OP thought I was full of schitt.

No, I think you are rude. My original post said nothing about wanting to know what they are worth. I’m not sure why you felt the need to chime in with “They aren’t cheap”. The way I see it, that is a matter to be discussed between me and the seller.

Last edited by pharmvet; 07/11/21.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pharmvet
$1200 for a nice one

No, I think you are rude. My original post said nothing about wanting to know what they are worth. I’m not sure why you felt the need to chime in with “They aren’t cheap”. The way I see it, that is a matter to be discussed between me and the seller.

Then why the hell did you keep asking. Most here are pretty knowledgeable on gun prices. Especially someone that was in that business for years. Sounds to me like you didn’t want the sellers to know what they were going for.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/11/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
$1200 for a nice one

Then why the hell did you keep asking. Most here are pretty knowledgeable on gun prices. Especially someone that was in that business for years. Sounds to me like you didn’t want the sellers to know what they were going for.

It doesn’t matter what it “sounds like” to you. I’ve seen guys bust up in the middle of transactions they had zero involvement in at gun shows . It’s rude in person and it’s rude online.

Last edited by pharmvet; 07/11/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$1200 for a nice one

It doesn’t matter what it “sounds like” to you. I’ve seen guys bust up in the middle of transactions they had zero involvement in at gun shows . It’s rude in person and it’s rude online.

Lots of helpful folks here on the Campfire. That’s the good thing about this place. Quite a few rude ones too.
Easy enough to see which one you are.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
$1200 for a nice one

Lots of helpful folks here on the Campfire. That’s the good thing about this place. Quite a few rude ones too.

Yes, anyone with any sense can easily see.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$1200 for a nice one

Yes, anyone with any sense can easily see.

LOL 🤪

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Remington and a Smith Corona. Both in very nice condition from the CMP. They still show up at the new Talladaga marksmanship park.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The last one I saw for sale, was $1200.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Crazy, IMO, that 03A3's are fetching what they are these days. Pretty much in line with 03's anymore. "Back in the day" 03A3's were looked upon mainly as donors for sporters as guys recognized them as crude wartime expedient 2nd cousins of "true" 03 Springfields. A lot of guys still think of them in those terms, but the drive to create complete Springfield collections has gathered the 03A3's into acceptability in terms of collectability, not because they're particularly well made guns or particularly rare.

I'm glad I built my Springfield collection when I did because I couldn't afford to do that now. But, I still had old standards rattling around in my head and preferred to not include 03A3's in my quest - I stopped with end-of-the-line Springfield Armory products. Kind of snobbish maybe, but the differences are striking. I've only owned one 03A3, and that was one I inherited from my Dad which he "sporterized" (crudely) in the early 60's. I could never warm up to that rifle, even as a kid, and when I got it I bestowed it on one of my nephews who wanted a couple of "Grampa's" guns.

I notice a trend among younger up and coming Springfield guys that for some reason many of them refer to the whole 40 year production run of all those bolt guns as "03A3's" for some reason. (Not implying that's the case here on the 'Fire.) I guess nobody reads books anymore.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not a heck of a lot of 03A3's made it to the front lines in GI's hands in WWII. They came on the scene after the Army had mostly transitioned to Garands, and even the USMC (who always sucked hind tit on the supply line) had transitioned to Garands also, in late 1942 after first fighting the opening rounds of the War with 03's. Those 03A3's that made it to the front were in the hands of rear echelon guys, camp guards, MP's and the like. Far more went into the Lend-Lease program and went to arming foreign entities such as the Free French and resistance organizations, but probably as many went into storage for the duration as a war reserve that was never called upon. (Notable exception being, of course, the 03A4 which the Army adopted as its sniper rifle. The Marines wanted nothing to do with it and stuck with the 1903A1 for their sniper work.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/12/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Years ago I asked the question about the service use of the 03A3 on the CMP forum and frankly stumped many a member. Everyone took the rifle for granted but most did not know it's history of use. I have one and I think every 03 collection should have one, and they are a handy varient albeit the A3 does not repreent the family at it's finest. I consider them the Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 of the clan of the 1903. A good working gun.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gnoahh,

You may regard 1903A3 prices as crazy, but the collector price of just about any firearm depends on the same factors: historical significance and rarity. The 1903A3 was very historically significant despite it's minimal military use, for several reasons, including the manufacturing methods developed for quick production at the Remington plant, which included button rifling. According to more than one historical source, the button rifled barrels shot as well as many of the cut-rifled barrels on original '03s, even the 2-groove version. (This has also been my experience with both "sporterized" and original 1903s and 1903A3s.) The 1903A3 aperture sight was also considered superior to the original 1903 sight, because it allowed new recruits to shoot better overall, and learn far quicker during training.

Yes, the rifles were comparatively crudely and quickly made compared to the original 1903s, but when production started there weren't enough Garands to meet supply demands, and the innovations involved in producing lots of 03A3s quickly really affected post-war manufacturing in several ways, and not just of firearms.

The other factor, of course, is that a lot of 1903A3s ended up being "parts guns" during arsenal refurbishing, with mixed parts from various factories. Finding one that's all original is just as valuable to some collectors as it for other firearms, whether military or commercial.

Might also mention that the price in the advertisement I posted would be around $300 with inflation today. That's apparently what some aspiring 1903A3 buyers are looking for, but obviously there aren't nearly as many unmodified rifles around as there were in the 1960s, even rebuilt military models.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.