Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I've always done a lot of reading about hunting & hunting rifles, but nothing ever caught my interest more than reading about and the writings of Alvin York, Teddy Roosevelt, and most of all Townsend Whelen. Well I did a lot of searching back in 2014 and I found a most interesting story I thought I would share in case anyone is interested. I actually copied it all on paper back then, and the Wundhammer palm swell on this new to me M65 Tikka i just got reminded me of it so I thought I'd pass along how to read about it, along with seeing a lot of fine custom guns if one wants??
Go to. finegunmaking.com, and on the right is a list of content. Click on Petrov's Pages. There will be several interesting articles about Whelen, but especially click on, Townsend Whelens Wundhammer Rifle.
Enough said, I'm gonna sit down and read it (on paper) all over again for first time in a lot of years!

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great cal I have one off a Kimber..., compliments my 93's grin

Taking my rifle for a walk
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My favorite caliber. I have two. Love em.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 47stalker

Originally Posted by Belvedere2

I'm not certain what either of your posts have to to with the article mentioned. You should read the article.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

I'm not certain what either of your posts have to to with the article mentioned. You should read the article.

they should re rea the OP, then go smack their elementary School teachers for failing tot each them basic comprehension

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12

they should re rea the OP, then go smack their elementary School teachers for failing tot each them basic comprehension
Not really. I read the article. My comment was about basically about Whelen coming up with a great cartridge. I suppose I could have added more to my post that also included something about the rifle. Sorry to have offended you in some way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not really. I read the article. My comment was about basically about Whelen coming up with a great cartridge. I suppose I could have added more to my post that also included something about the rifle. Sorry to have offended you in some way.

I was the same as you mate so don’t listen to these rude peanuts above they have obviously had a bad day or are just rude k#nts smile

Taking my rifle for a walk
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I was the same as you mate so don’t listen to these rude peanuts above they have obviously had a bad day or are just rude k#nts smile

Great meatloaf sandwich, I had one yesterday. It was Whelen's favorite sandwich.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Micheal Petrov had a table at a Las Vegas gunshow I attended and I wish very much I had stopped to speak with him. He was surrounded though and I could help but feel like I, a fairly pedestrian gunsmith, would just be an intrusion he could live without. I missed out on that day. I also have a fondness for the custom rifles from the first half of the twentieth century and am fascinated by the adventures of the hunters of that period.
A side note: I had occasion, about thirty years ago, to sit and go through a pile of photo albums which had belonged to Bert Riggall. Pictures of his hunts, over many years, in the southern Alberta Rockies. For a couple of hours, I was transported to those high camps. I don't know what happened to those albums but I hope someone has them who has an appreciation for what they are. Some pretty fine rams in some of those photos, by the way. GD

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
GD, I know it was a thrill to look thru those photos! I'd like to have a chance to see those myself!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (3333vl, akpls, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 204guy, 24 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.