Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back to the original question:

New tank installed during construction of the house across the street from me.

It handled a cement truck that backed over it going into the yard, it did NOT handle it coming back out..................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It didn't handle the weight going across either. The truck just finished it off on the return trip over. Normal residential septic tanks are not designed to have concentrated ground pressure on them. A foot of ground cover, lawn mowers. One is pushing the envelope when cars and pickups are driven over them. The newer two and three compartment tanks that are required are more forgiving. A concrete truck driver should know better than to drive over a septic tank and should be one of his first questions as to where it is when he gets on the job.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our septic tank lid is in the yard. But the diverter valve is in cattle pasture - during the 25 years it had a concrete lid, the cows walked on it at will. When I had to replace it with a plastic diverter assembly, I read the specs on the lid and have since fenced the cows off of it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I put the PVC risers on my lids and then the PVC cover over that, Now I know exactly where it is at. I keep a few small stones under 0ne corner of the the septic tank lids to let the gas escape and the riser is vented

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
For a lotta years back even in far northern Minnesota the septic tank installers have had to file paperwork and a sketch of location to the city or county. Have you tried checking there just to see if there are such records?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use risers. If you need to get to your tank, it’s less than 5 mins and you are in. Plus, everyone can see location.

Bought property last year. First thing I installed. Replaced pump while I was there since it was 17 years old.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My brother drives a 1200 lb scag over his sometimes 2x a week.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Concrete, I believe have one septic system on the new property that I don't know exactly where it is... I know the location, drain field etc, but not the tank lid. Worried if I drive a Kubota L2501 over it... Perhaps even a 600#+ Zero turn mower. I guess I should just pay to find it exactly. The other one I know where it is.

Local Health department should have a plat with it located or at the very least a drawing.

Should is the magic word. Franklin Co. Health Dept clerk couldn't (wouldn't) look up the data without knowing the date the house was built. That took a trip across town to the hall of records where they have 3 different systems of retrieving property information, but first we had to go thru a bunch of old books before accessing the microfiche (remember them?) system that didn't work unless you hit the monitor in just the right spot. It took 2 hours with the help of an older woman who had worked there for decades. On my own it would never have been found. Then returning to the health dept. they only had an approximate position. It was explained that at times (70s & earlier) in the past the only maps that were drawn could have been in the dust on the hood of the county truck. Never did find that tank for sure & I lived there for 10 years. It was supposed to be pumped every 5 years due the lake being within 100 yards. Oh well...

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Rural Arkansas, no permits for anything. MIL quarters have not been lived in for at least 4 years. I suppose the tank could actually be empty. (or full of ground water) I bought the property and of course the main house. The Single wide was transferred with no value. It's in good shape however, livable with all appliances HVAC etc. No need of it, perhaps I could keep everything and put the 5th wheel there (power, water, septic) Going to get the septic company that did the main house to come and check it over. Life has enough problems one can't control. This one I can.

Last edited by smithrjd; 07/13/21. Reason: info
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it is a modern tank there would be options for a traffic rated cover or a standard cover from most tank suppliers... just like electrical vaults... Unless you can find the installer and paperwork from the original install it is a crapshoot of course.... no pun intended...

If it has ever been pumped out, the company that pumped it may know where it is located if you can figure out who did the pumping...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I was a kid, I worked for an excavator where we were putting in septic tanks and drain fields. I think you said you basically know where it is. To find the exact location, you can probably use a metal detector. The concrete tanks that we put in had a 6" square plug about a foot from each end with a 24" round hatch in the middle. Around here, building code is for the tank to be about 18" below grade. Unfortunately, I've seen them as deep as 30". I'd pump it out and fill it with sand if you're getting rid of the trailer.

I wouldn't drive anything bigger than a lawn mower over it.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My OLD house in MO has a septic that didn't survive my BIL driving his tractor over it. Since he lived there it didn't concern me. He seemed a trifle upset though.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,665
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.