Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have any experience traveling the Mankomen Lake Trail from the Tok Cutoff north to Mankomen Lake? We'd be using a Ranger 6x6 and Sportsman 6x6. If I remember, it's 38+/- miles from the cut-off to the lake.

Anyone ever ATV this trail? I want to say that the Mankomen Lake Trail I'm referencing starts around Chistochina, maybe 44 mile, but I don't remember.

Fwiw, has anyone atv'd from Mentasta to Mankomen Lake?

Thanks for any intel.

Last edited by Wook; 07/12/21.
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck.. one stretch of that trail is 18-19 miles of swamp.. No thank you.. better get an Argo or a track vehicle.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's kind of what I thought-a lot of swamp navigating from the cut-off northward. I found a vid of a guy driving a big rig from Mankomen Lake to Mentasta and he was basically driving through the Slana River, which looked sketchy at best.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There was a place on Mankomen Lake for sale and it was advertised as summer access by 4x4 sometimes.

Life is good live it while you can.
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
True Grit, I wonder if that's the place that was up for grabs for $105k? Seemed reasonable for 1,600+ sq ft + the shop/garage, etc... There's state land available up there for sale as well in this year's auction.

This is a pretty good vid of the area (>9" they're driving out via the Slana River):
https://youtu.be/mtZAa-NwECs

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yea,,,,,, been there and done that, you gotta get in the River, No 2-ways about it, I used my Argo on Shackle-Tracks from Adair, they swim better than the rubber-tracks, and better traction as well, I also ran into a couple of guys from Fairbanks riding ROKON's, they did alright, as you can swim with a Rokon in the deeper sections, and I've also seen some High-lifted Rigs on Tractor-tires as well,,, going right down the middle of the River,,,, and also,,,,,, you don't want to Park your Rig at Mentasta Lake either, and if you gotta ask why,,,,,, you better just Quit Now, while your ahead..... cool Lj

Attached Images
LJ's Photos 040.jpg (75.09 KB, 383 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sounds like “winter trail”.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Yea,,,,,, been there and done that, you gotta get in the River, No 2-ways about it, I used my Argo on Shackle-Tracks from Adair, they swim better than the rubber-tracks, and better traction as well, I also ran into a couple of guys from Fairbanks riding ROKON's, they did alright, as you can swim with a Rokon in the deeper sections, and I've also seen some High-lifted Rigs on Tractor-tires as well,,, going right down the middle of the River,,,, and also,,,,,, you don't want to Park your Rig at Mentasta Lake either, and if you gotta ask why,,,,,, you better just Quit Now, while your ahead..... cool Lj

Thanks for the detailed intel. I kinda figured I wouldn't be leaving my F250/trailer at Mentasta Lake. Lol I have some acquaintances in Chistochina and I'd likely have them help me w/parking. However, I'm kind of second guessing this trail. shocked Heading up that way (Gakona/Chisto) to chat with some friends/etc...about the logistics of this trip/trail and whether I can even do it (and if so, maybe NOT with the Ranger/Sportsman).

Also thinking that Ironbender may be right and I should rally a sno-go in the winter instead.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yea,,,,, Ironbender has got it right, leave your rig and trailers in Chisto, and take the Winter Trail out up the Chistotina River, and then hang a right a ways up there on the middle fork, and bingo to your right, your into Mankomen Lake, I've got a buddy who has a Cabin up the Chisna River above the old town of Dempsey, my 19yr old Granddad was there at Slate Creek back in the day, I've got some of his letters in his Journal, Post-Marked Dempsey, Alaska Circa.... 1916-17, if I'm recalling this correct, his Journal and all of his entries/correspondences are at my mothers place in Grants Pass, Or.,,,, that reminds me, I need to get those sooner, rather than later...... anyway,,,,, it's some Pretty Dam Wild Country, that's for sure.... I gotta get back up there.... cool Lj

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Back in the day" we used to take my Dad's old one ton Ford with a big winch from Mentasta Village to Mankomen Lake. Crossing the Slana River was a hoot and I knew one guy that lost his new pick up in the Slana River in the early 70's. My Dad and Mom built a place by the Slana River about 7 miles from Mentasta Lodge. I have not been back to the lake since the early 70's and we sold the parents place long ago and I rarely get up on the Old Tok Road. I truly miss the good times I had in the Nebesna, Slana and Mentasta areas and it was a beautiful game rich country when we landed there in 1965. Then came the pipeline and Jimmy Carter and the Native Land claims............Crap!.

My Dad had a vey well built fish wheel on the Copper River off of the Nebesna Road and he pretty well turned it over to the natives in the summer. In return him and Fred and Katie John of Menatasta became friends and he had free access to hunt and cut fire wood where he wanted. He also was pretty good about dropping off some moose and caribou meat at the village.

There was a guy up there went by Thumper that had a lifted big tired rig and drove all over that country and the river, he had it figured out. I don't think he is around any more. If I was to start going back in there I would want a big tired lifted truck and I would try and pay the Mentasta Lodge to park my other truck and trailer there. From there I would drive down to the village and cross the river and not worry about my other rig and trailer, I would want a partner with the same set up.

Going in from Chistochina does not sound like fun. I worked at Slate Creek in 1973 for Ranchers and Resource associates, a placer mining outfit. I was just off of four years and three West Pac cruises in Yankee Station during Viet Nam and living in the wall tent above tree line at Slate Creek was perfect. I don't think accessing Mankomen Lake from Slate Creek would be something I would attempt, except by snow machine.

A walk down memory lane this is............

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some of y'all have actually lived the dream.

Life is good live it while you can.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Some of y'all have actually lived the dream.

Lived the dream, and yet, even greater gift, got to live with, work with, and know personally many who came in the 30's-40's-50's they got to live even bigger dreams in Alaska.

The internet has set a wall, so their recounts and stories will never be "fully" told for history.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, 1AK Shooter, Thumper sold his place and moved to AZ to take care of his parents. I only know of him from former Sportsman's Paradise Lodge owner Doug Fredericks. Shoot, I guess I should call Doug! He's born/raised/from Slana and has likely been up there too. Fwiw, I think the Mentasta Lodge on the cut-off is closed down.
Kinda looking like I don't have the right set-up to get there in the summer and it may be easier to do a sno-go trip. Might be time for a big rig. smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Wook
Might be time for a big rig. smile

I have a Duce & Half for sale.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by Wook
Might be time for a big rig. smile

I have a Duce & Half for sale.

Nope, Won't work,,,,, it's to Heavy..... cool Lj

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do know their is a trail coming on off the Richardson hwy you have to cross the Gakona river which is not an easy feat. Anyhow this trail might get you to this lake. Far as I been is to the Gakona River but you can see the trail on the otherside of the river. I just don’t know how far it goes.

I looked at the map and probably won’t go to far. Two more river crossings to get to the lake. I have a bud who has done Chistochina trail. If you want his number shoot me a pm and will give it to you.

Last edited by 79S; 07/15/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, 79S. I'll pm you. Wouldn't hurt to hear from someone who has done the Chisto trail.

B
B
Hello sir, l just joined this group, l see ur interested in going back into Mankomen lake, so am I sir, I got some land back on the lake and getting ready to retire, l got a buggy ,and a couple Argos, lol well one , the other one sucked a engine, but it will b back up,and wheeler,to start going back in there off and on starting this fall, I have a bunch of friends that live up there, I know old Doug and Judy, all them that used to run to Sportsman's Paradise, I've been in halfway or so on a couple of them trails, I see the guys talking about the trail down by the Chisto rv, of the 3 trails getting back in ther, that's the real swampy one, a guy is better off to going up the Indian cr, behind Thumpers old place, he'd go up the Indian Creek Trail and jump up on the Salana river & cross it four or five times to get back in there, but I also have heard there's a new big mine back in there behind the village and that you can get in about halfway and cut out a lot of the traveling, message me if you're interested in talking besides on this forum, sir thank you Buggieman

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We hunted around the Nebesna area for moose in the '60s. Was open to two moose, cows included.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The locals are quite welcoming in the area

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,904
Posts18,479,364
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.