Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
a 70 000 serial number colt in 44.40, all serial numbers match, it's a black powder gun.
somebodyi think reblued it, also has a 44special cylinder.
original wood stocks. think was made around 1881. looks like a new gun.

Any estimate as to value?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not really. Guns are so far off the charts now that it's difficult to say. Generally, these crazed shortages and price run-ups don't affect the collector's market much.

For it to have much collector's value, it can't be refinished. That kills it with real collector's. Another thing is whether the barrel is original...or has it been cut. Certainly the Special cylinder was added later.

$2000

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Not really. Guns are so far off the charts now that it's difficult to say. Generally, these crazed shortages and price run-ups don't affect the collector's market much.

For it to have much collector's value, it can't be refinished. That kills it with real collector's. Another thing is whether the barrel is original...or has it been cut. Certainly the Special cylinder was added later.

$2000

Agree with everything Ethan said, although myself not sure what about the dollar value.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i think the above is probably pretty close. it is a pretty old piece, but the barrel can't be originalll, front sight is not, and finish not original.
having said that it is tight.
it's a b.p. from the location of the pin screw, so i think i am going to have to load black powder metallic. i don't know the metal construct on the 44special cylinder. the guy might have had that to avoid having to try and find black powder stuff. i kind of took a flyer on buying it knowing it wasn't right, but price was low enough don't think i can get hurt if i want to move it.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/14/21.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt

$2000

Agree with everything Ethan said, although myself not sure what about the dollar value.
Thanks. I'd characterize my estimate as a WAG. "Normally", I'd of said $1500, but the figure I arrived at contains the Biden gun inflation.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i think the above is probably pretty close. it is a pretty old piece, but the barrel can't be originalll, front sight is not, and finish not original.
having said that it is tight.
it's a b.p. from the location of the pin screw, so i think i am going to have to load black powder metallic. i don't know the metal construct on the 44special cylinder. the guy might have had that to avoid having to try and find black powder stuff. i kind of took a flyer on buying it knowing it wasn't right, but price was low enough don't think i can get hurt if i want to move it.
Congrats on your purchase. You know enough to stick to BP loads or Cowboy types. Then you've got yourself a shooter at the very least. These uncollectible collectibles have risen some in value over the past years since the pool of all-original Colt's dries up. The 44 Spec. cylinder is akin to an old story of Skeeter's although his cylinders were reversed as he sorted through his kit and came up with a 44-40 cylinder for a 44 Spec. gun he'd obtained. Said it came right into battery.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My own Frontier Six Shooter was made the year after that. It's all original, save for some screws.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
ethan,
this one has those wood grips, but a deep blue refinish on it, and short barrel.
as i remember i paid 1200bucks for it thinking later i got raped.
but i also got a mint 30.40 kraig out of the deal, wasn't unhappy.
i just got taffin's book on the 44, and it got me interested again.
i was telling a grandson that my son in law and i took two 1900's colt bisley 38wcf out to fool with.
drawing from waistband they were mighty quick to get on target and up to about 20yards those beer cans were dead.
and that 38 wcf was the same as today's .40s&w.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/15/21.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Depending on when you bought it, I'd say you did good. The Krag adds a lot to that deal. I don't know how much, especially twenty years ago when the values for 1st gen. SAA's were a lot more "set" than they are currently. Just for the gun right now, I'd call that a pretty good deal as a shooter.

I've owned a lot of 44-40's and some 38-40's ranging from decrepit old black powder guns to Ruger Super Blackhawks with 44 Mag and 44-40 cylinders. Certainly the 44-40 pushes up into the Mag. range in strong firearms, only being limited by not being able to take as long of a bullet as Mag's in most guns.

Medium-strength gun...

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Depending on when you bought it, I'd say you did good. The Krag adds a lot to that deal. I don't know how much, especially twenty years ago when the values for 1st gen. SAA's were a lot more "set" than they are currently. Just for the gun right now, I'd call that a pretty good deal as a shooter.

I've owned a lot of 44-40's and some 38-40's ranging from decrepit old black powder guns to Ruger Super Blackhawks with 44 Mag and 44-40 cylinders. Certainly the 44-40 pushes up into the Mag. range in strong firearms, only being limited by not being able to take as long of a bullet as Mag's in most guns.

Medium-strength gun...

thats another pretty son of a gun

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/15/21.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Colt's Frontier SA .44 WCF. All matching #s including the loading gate, mfg in 1881 according to the Colt's Historian letter I got on it. No original finish, bore medium but no rust or pits. No blue but a nice patina. Tight and locked up solid. Solid one piece wood grips. Sold it to a man here at the Boise Gun Show about five years ago for $2,900.00. Colt's letter said it was shipped to the New York gun dealer, Schyuler (Sp.?) & Something (Graham???). I forgot the name as I gave him the letter along with the revolver. They keep going up and up.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I had a Colt's Frontier SA .44 WCF. All matching #s including the loading gate, mfg in 1881 according to the Colt's Historian letter I got on it. No original finish, bore medium but no rust or pits. No blue but a nice patina. Tight and locked up solid. Solid one piece wood grips. Sold it to a man here at the Boise Gun Show about five years ago for $2,900.00. Colt's letter said it was shipped to the New York gun dealer, Schyuler (Sp.?) & Something (Graham???). I forgot the name as I gave him the letter along with the revolver. They keep going up and up.

L.W.

Dang. No telling what it would bring now. Buddy I grew up with has one like that from right around that year. Black Powder Frame. His Great Grandfather carried it as the Sherrif of Waco, TX. Killed a couple of bank robbers with it. He’s still got his badge and handcuffs too.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/15/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My own Frontier Six Shooter was made the year after that. It's all original, save for some screws.

Nice EE! I always enjoy seeing your knifes too.
What type and brand is that one ?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Medium-strength gun...

X2 I’m drooling a little bit looking at that one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Thanks. That's just a new manufactured Marble's Bowie that TRH turned me on to, saying I had to buy it because for the price, I needed it. He wasn't wrong. At the very least it makes a nice photo prop.

Marble's Bowie

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 07/15/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Medium-strength gun...

X2 I’m drooling a little bit looking at that one.
Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Thanks. That's just a new manufactured Marble's Bowie that TRH turned me on to, saying I had to buy it because for the price, I needed it. He wasn't wrong. At the very least it makes a nice photo prop.

Marble's Bowie

Cool. Thanks. Might have to have one for a letter opener. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
those marbles knives go back to the 1800's, but now made in china.
i bought one, made in china, few years ago and thought it was real good value.
took about two seconds to hit the buy button on the one shown in this post.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
those marbles knives go back to the 1800's, but now made in china.
i bought one, made in china, few years ago and thought it was real good value.
took about two seconds to hit the buy button on the one shown in this post.
The one I've got was made in Pakistan. The rags make some good knives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.