Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Don't tip here as it is generally viewed as slightly bemusing or downright rude...if there is a jar or a tin it will be for a cancer research charity (Canteen) or for the Children's hospital.

That’s the way it is in most of the world. In the U.S. tipping has become a status symbol, a way to show you’re a high roller. Witness the number of guys on here bragging about how much they tip. The restaurants and servers play it up because they they want the money. The rest of the world thinks we’re a bunch of obnoxious braggarts trying to flaunt wealth.

I tend to tip well because I don’t want to be “that guy”, but tipping is out of control and stupid in the U.S., everybody’s got their hand out.

Well...unless you cover the restaurant owners employment costs.....the industry will collapse!

The reason most restaurants fail in the first two years is because cheep bastards like you who wont cover those operating costs.

Its systemic.

I am MAGA.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since the pandemic started I tip fast food just because I think the people that actually show up to work should be rewarded.

When life settles down again, I'll probably go back to tipping table service / delivery only

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Always tip for good service.
Tipped 15% for takeouts during the pandemic. Always leave a couple $’s at buffets where I eat, nice not to have to ask for drink refills, napkins or lemon.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

That’s the way it is in most of the world. In the U.S. tipping has become a status symbol, a way to show you’re a high roller. Witness the number of guys on here bragging about how much they tip. The restaurants and servers play it up because they they want the money. The rest of the world thinks we’re a bunch of obnoxious braggarts trying to flaunt wealth.

I tend to tip well because I don’t want to be “that guy”, but tipping is out of control and stupid in the U.S., everybody’s got their hand out.

It may have started out that way but today “servers” can be paid a much lower wage than the standard minimum wage due to their tips-earning potential. When I was in college I worked as a waiter & bartender and was paid $2.52/hr by the restaurant at a time when fed min wage was $5-ish (IIRC), relying heavily upon my tips.

Remembering what that was like, I tip generously if well served. Having been in the industry and having high standards, I am less generous if the job isn’t done well. Even so, I’m paying them for a service as many have pointed out so I don’t stiff people.

Cultural differences evolving as they do, a custom developed for a particular reason can morph into something altogether different over time. I don’t know about your historic assertions made above, but as far as today’s world goes I’ve laid forth the reasons as they exist now

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gawd...what an industry.

Telling your employees that the customers will pay the bulk of their wages....and if they dont...tuff schit.

Shoulda stayed in school sucka!

I am MAGA.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gawd...what an industry.

Telling your employees that the customers will pay the bulk of their wages....and if they dont...tuff schit.

Shoulda stayed in school sucka!

ALL businesses’ customers pay ALL the wages. Just a question of how directly wink

The government has allowed this situation; they’re the ones who said it could be accounted this way.

The industry could just build the service costs directly into pricing, but then the motive for outstanding service would be diminished.

I was in the fine dining industry in a medium sized Midwestern city and did VERY well for a student, but I’d not want to have to raise a family on those wages.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The motivation for outstanding service angle is BS.

The motivation for a lake house is not.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What I don't like it a forced tip. Built into the bill.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If nearly non-existent wages and the tipping system works so well....why are you more likely to receive poor service than great service?

Is it the added benefit of 39 hour work weeks?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
The motivation for outstanding service angle is BS.

If you say so I can’t speak for others I just know it sure wasn’t for me.

And in case our wires have gotten crossed (and I’m sure they have I can’t understand where you’re coming from half the time) here I’m not defending the system as it stands just explaining what I understand of what it is.

If you Wanta talk about the possibilities of a perfect world, no one would pay for food nor have to serve it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sure...some people go above and beyond.

Most just do enough to bet by.....mainly because tipping is now seen as compulsory.

If a restaurant owner paid good wages....we wouldn't have to suffer with schitty service.

Notice how there is virtually no competition for most restaurant jobs?

Its no different than welfare dependency.

If people ONLY tipped for excellent service and quality food....your argument would be valid.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by efw

It may have started out that way but today “servers” can be paid a much lower wage than the standard minimum wage due to their tips-earning potential. When I was in college I worked as a waiter & bartender and was paid $2.52/hr by the restaurant at a time when fed min wage was $5-ish (IIRC), relying heavily upon my tips.

Remembering what that was like, I tip generously if well served. Having been in the industry and having high standards, I am less generous if the job isn’t done well. Even so, I’m paying them for a service as many have pointed out so I don’t stiff people.

Cultural differences evolving as they do, a custom developed for a particular reason can morph into something altogether different over time. I don’t know about your historic assertions made above, but as far as today’s world goes I’ve laid forth the reasons as they exist now

Yes, I'm aware of all that. As I said I tend to tip well when I'm in the U.S. because the system has been set up to require it for the waitstaff to make their income. What I'm saying is it's a effed up system that's only prevalent in the U.S. We allow employers to skate the minimum wage laws under the basis of "tips will make up for it" and restaurants have figured out how to shift the burden of paying their employees onto customers instead of themselves where the burden should rightly be. Yes, I realize the customer ultimately ends up paying for everything, the system now is a slimy way of doing it. There is no other business sector where someone expects to be paid extra for merely putting their product in your hand.

It's become a monster which fosters some blowhard tossing a $100 bill on the table so a kid will ignore the rest of his paying customers in order to kiss the butt of his benefactor.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

If a restaurant owner paid good wages....we wouldn't have to suffer with schitty service.

I disagree, if what you’re saying by “good wages” is “similar to what others in the restaurant are paid”. I’ve gotten BBS d service at fast food restaurants more consistently than I have at sit-downs where tips are in play.

Now if you’re talking “good wages” in the sense of “living wage” I’d say that there was a reason I had those jobs as a student and don’t now. If one wants a living wage serving food isn’t and never will be the place to get it. The margins are super narrow.

If people ONLY tipped for excellent service and quality food....your argument would be valid.

My argument is valid (note I used the word “diminished” in my original post) to a certain extent regardless because meritocratic systems work on those motivated enough to take advantage of them.

I agree with the bottom line you’re pushing… that restauranteurs should pay servers the same as everyone else with tips being optional for excellent service.

Ps I’ll add “and tips should not be taxed”

Last edited by efw; 07/15/21. Reason: Ps
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

It's become a monster which fosters some blowhard tossing a $100 bill on the table so a kid will ignore the rest of his paying customers in order to kiss the butt of his benefactor.

Dang I wish I’d have served some of those blowhards $100 buys a lotta shots fer after work. I never had such terrible luck…

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
There's no shortage of good food servers and bartenders at the higher end well managed restaurants and bars.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
As for me, I would rather pay the server directly so that he can stiff the government as much as possible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Don't tip here as it is generally viewed as slightly bemusing or downright rude...if there is a jar or a tin it will be for a cancer research charity (Canteen) or for the Children's hospital.

Excellent post!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I considered swapping tips with another table once. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure...some people go above and beyond.

Most just do enough to bet by.....mainly because tipping is now seen as compulsory.

Notice how there is virtually no competition for most restaurant jobs?

Its no different than welfare dependency.

I realize you did qualify "most" restaurant jobs, but top serving gigs are actually very coveted and competitive.

I've worked with several folks that would average near or better than $2k a week working 30-35 hours, paying tax on less than 1/2 that.

$100k+ a year for essentially part time work ain't a bad gig. It is fairly rare, obviously.
Many serving jobs can pay a decent "living" wage though.

There are however very few serving jobs that supply any benefits, PTO, insurance, etc....

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,352
Posts18,506,261
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.