Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hogeye
One of the best turkeys I ever saw was killed by a beardless youth with a 20. His father called it in to him. Turkey hunting is mostly about calling, to me.

That was my point exactly

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ill keep my 870 supermag turkey model.
23" remchoke.
Only shoot 3" in it. 4s at high V.

I got it cheap and its been a champ.
And w 3.5" could be used on geese w steel if need be.

Had excellent results w my 1100 magnum. But i hated taping it up every season.
Got an 1100 SP now w 26" remchoke bbl.

What I took this yr.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A few years ago I went with a muzzle loading 20 bore flintlock smoothbore and it made Turkey hunting even more fun that it was before.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Picked up a Browning Citori Satin Hunter 12ga 3-1/2" gun with 26" tubes with thoughts of turkey hunting with it for a great price. Doubt I'd use 3-1/2" shells, been there done that, but after the performance of the little 20ga I put together, it might just be used for pheasant. But the little Winchester 96 20ga is great for that too... what a conundrum! Lol! I'm not just a rifle looney, I'm a firearms looney and lovin it!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People will never understand marketing.

Fishing lures ain't made for catchin' fish.
They are made to hook fisherman!

And in any market that produces durable goods aimed at leisure pursuits,
You have to create new trends. To maintain demand.

Gotta laugh my butt off at the 410 fanboys. Chasing the trend. (Love laughing at trend chasers)

Sure, you used a 12. Now you just love tungsten in a 410-by-god-its-the-best-you-should-buy-one!
Ironic.
Same guys told me I needed 12 gauge 3 1/2" 2 decades ago.
Not understand in my 3" 870 had the forcing cones lengthened.
A (then) top shelf choke, red dot scope. I won my share against custom guns at the turkey shoots.
But their shells were 1/2" longer.πŸ˜‚

No, I didn't condemn the 410 loads. Dont be butt hurt.

But, hmmmm?

If that tungsten is so great in a 410?
No.
Just wouldn't work in a 12.πŸ˜‰

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by hikerbum
killed the world’s unluckiest turkey at about 175 yards with a40 grain Power Point out of my 3” S&W 317.

Shot by the worlds luckiest snubby shooter

Careful you'll start a fad.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Gotta laugh my butt off at the 410 fanboys. Chasing the trend. (Love laughing at trend chasers)

Sure, you used a 12. Now you just love tungsten in a 410-by-god-its-the-best-you-should-buy-one!
Ironic.
A (then) top shelf choke, red dot scope. I won my share against custom guns at the turkey shoots.

But, hmmmm?

No.

The trick with TSS is you can equal what you had in a bigger gun with something handier. 3.3# .410 is nicer to carry. It's unlikely to have a big 12 that will throw a lead pattern to hang with TSS from my 6# 20ga.

Using TSS is big guns is pointless unless you can't kill a turkey without shooting at ranges so long it isn't sporting.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Ironic.

But, hmmmm?

No.

The trick with TSS is you can equal what you had in a bigger gun with something handier. 3.3# .410 is nicer to carry. It's unlikely to have a big 12 that will throw a lead pattern to hang with TSS from my 6# 20ga.

Using TSS is big guns is pointless unless you can't kill a turkey without shooting at ranges so long it isn't sporting.
What do you consider as "sporting" distance to kill a turkey? I got buddies that hunted last Spring with 20ga shotguns that have extended aftermarket chokes killing turkey's @ 60+ yds with TSS shells.....that distance is further than I would try with my 12ga M2 shooting Winchester 3" Longbeard #5 lead but I didn't think it was unsporting of those guys as they still called the birds they killed in, they didn't field snipe their gobblers with rifles like a few others I know...Hb

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Anyone who knowingly shoots at a turkey at 60 yards and beyond is a Turkey sniper no matter what they shoot

What today's turkey hunter lacks in confidence in his turkey calling/hunting ablities he tries to make up for by stretching his guns range....that has been what TSS has been about from the git go.

TSS has 'nothing to offer me'

Why....because most turkeys I shoot are under 40 yards and I don't want my meat damaged by a chance hit with TSS micro shot.

I'm a grown man and I shoot a 12 gauge shotgun. I don't carry many turkey hunting trinkets with me so saving a couple of pounds of gun weight is not going to make or break and me...
I figure if a feller can't carry a 7 or 8 pound gun he might better think about staying on the porch.

If I know a Turkey is farther than 50 yards I figure if he's out of "ethical gun range". I shoot Winchester ammo and was sickened by their marketing strategy of promoting long range shooting with Winchester Longbeards.

Have I accidentally shot and killed turkeys way past 50 yards...yes but it's never been something I thought worthy of bragging about if anything it made me feel ashamed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shoot what you want. Doesn't bother me. I can see the draw to lighter easier to pack rigs.

With Longbeards my 12 outshoots my 10 gauge but guess which one goes to the timber the most in the spring?

Yeah that bastard is heavy but I know exactly how it kills, where it points/hits.

That weight helps me to hold it very steady when an old gobbler gets me a little unnerved!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by LFC
Anyone who knowingly shoots at a turkey at 60 yards and beyond is a Turkey sniper no matter what they shoot

What today's turkey hunter lacks in confidence in his turkey calling/hunting ablities he tries to make up for by stretching his guns range....that has been what TSS has been about from the git go.

Why....because most turkeys I shoot are under 40 yards and I don't want my meat damaged by a chance hit with TSS micro shot.

I'm a grown man and I shoot a 12 gauge shotgun. I don't carry many turkey hunting trinkets with me so saving a couple of pounds of gun weight is not going to make or break and me...
I figure if a feller can't carry a 7 or 8 pound gun he might better think about staying on the porch.

If I know a Turkey is farther than 50 yards I figure if he's out of "ethical gun range". I shoot Winchester ammo and was sickened by their marketing strategy of promoting long range shooting with Winchester Longbeards.

Have I accidentally shot and killed turkeys way past 50 yards...yes but it's never been something I thought worthy of bragging about if anything it made me feel ashamed.

agreed. If I can't get him within 40 yds, he won. Its not about the killing, its about the hunt

Last edited by blairvt; 07/13/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LFC

Good points. If you cant call them in for whatever reason, just enjoy the experience and let them go. Some of my best days hunting I never pulled the trigger.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by LFC

Lmao, I agree.......Hb

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by LFC

agreed. If I can't get him within 40 yds, he won. Its not about the killing, its about the hunt

Hate losing, especially to a Turkey. um 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz #9 TSS , *uck Tom from the long .... 😎😎

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.