Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
There's no shortage of good food servers and bartenders at the higher end well managed restaurants and bars.

I wonder if they are well paid of rely on tips and charity?

I am MAGA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tips and charity. Guaranteed.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sure...some people go above and beyond.

Most just do enough to bet by.....mainly because tipping is now seen as compulsory.

If a restaurant owner paid good wages....we wouldn't have to suffer with schitty service.

Notice how there is virtually no competition for most restaurant jobs?

Its no different than welfare dependency.

If people ONLY tipped for excellent service and quality food....your argument would be valid.

I happen to live at the epicenter of the "hospitality industry" and have known plenty of people who own, operate or work in it. People compete vigorously for jobs as servers in the fine dining places here and the standards are rigorous. This is a right to work state and there are no token hires in the good joints, you meet the standard or you will get replaced on the spot. A server in a Michelin starred restaurant will make more than $100k/year here and will probably have started as a busboy or kitchen helper. Tip earners here are closely scrutinized by the IRS.

Opening a restaurant in a choice location here is a multi-million dollar gamble and many have failed. I have a client/friend who owns a prestigious restaurant in a premier hotel and know how hard he works and how much he values and protects his employees. Lots of creepy people have big $ and will act abusive if allowed. Gross behavior is not tolerated in these places and the networking in this town among the operators is amazing.

Every competitive high end restaurant/club here has at least one employee fluent in Mandarin and another in Mexican and a guy in a tailored suit that can remove a drunk and obnoxious NBA player w/out causing a fuss. This here ain't your Clarksville or Malta.

Customs vary w/ geography. We have breakfast at least once/week in a privately owned cafe that is only open from 0700-1400 daily and has had the same staff for years. The food and service are exemplary and the regulars appreciate the place and treat the staff w/ respect and reward them for a great experience. Life is good if you work at it.

If you are dining with crableg joggers YMMV.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Michelin stars....gmafb.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Maltavegas!!!!

😃😎

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Michelin stars....gmafb.

They pay top dollar for premium beef and lamb. You need to get in the pate and truffle biz.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Sure...some people go above and beyond.

Most just do enough to bet by.....mainly because tipping is now seen as compulsory.

If a restaurant owner paid good wages....we wouldn't have to suffer with schitty service.

Notice how there is virtually no competition for most restaurant jobs?

Its no different than welfare dependency.

If people ONLY tipped for excellent service and quality food....your argument would be valid.

I happen to live at the epicenter of the "hospitality industry" and have known plenty of people who own, operate or work in it. People compete vigorously for jobs as servers in the fine dining places here and the standards are rigorous. This is a right to work state and there are no token hires in the good joints, you meet the standard or you will get replaced on the spot. A server in a Michelin starred restaurant will make more than $100k/year here and will probably have started as a busboy or kitchen helper. Tip earners here are closely scrutinized by the IRS.

Opening a restaurant in a choice location here is a multi-million dollar gamble and many have failed. I have a client/friend who owns a prestigious restaurant in a premier hotel and know how hard he works and how much he values and protects his employees. Lots of creepy people have big $ and will act abusive if allowed. Gross behavior is not tolerated in these places and the networking in this town among the operators is amazing.

Every competitive high end restaurant/club here has at least one employee fluent in Mandarin and another in Mexican and a guy in a tailored suit that can remove a drunk and obnoxious NBA player w/out causing a fuss. This here ain't your Clarksville or Malta.

Customs vary w/ geography. We have breakfast at least once/week in a privately owned cafe that is only open from 0700-1400 daily and has had the same staff for years. The food and service are exemplary and the regulars appreciate the place and treat the staff w/ respect and reward them for a great experience. Life is good if you work at it.

If you are dining with crableg joggers YMMV.

mike r

Wow
Just Wow

LMFAO

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
As for me, I would rather pay the server directly so that he can stiff the government as much as possible.

If I understand this right.....
The restaurant is required to keep the receipts for reach server.
And the law requires claiming 8% of sales as tips.

Don't know how many servers think this through, but if they get stiffed,
And even good ones do. They pay taxes on tips they didn't get.
That would add to the incentive to try for good tips by providing
excellent service.

Except, listen to the posts.

People tip 10%+.
No matter the quality of service.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by CRS
I hate the whole process of tipping. Restaurants, hotels, guides etc. Use to be extra for exemplary service, now it is expected and relied upon to cover wages.

Just wish they would post a price and pay their staff appropriately.

Every place you go seems to have a tip jar. Reminds of the people standing on the corners.

Well, look at it this way. They can continue to rely on tips and you can continue to reward good service as you see fit or punish bad service if you see fit by not leaving a tip. Or, they can do away with tips, pay their employees the going rate and you can get really a schitty service from servers who have no incentive to do better and pay 40$ for a hamburger.

Well put, hourly people ain’t gonna jump and run to get your food to you.

Double bingo

Yeah....thats why they do it.....continued excellence.

Sheesh.

I have NO IDEA what you are trying to convey, but suffice it to say, I ENJOY tipping folks and especially for outstanding service. This past weekend we were in Alpharetta attending a Birthday bash for a well known Campfire member. The night before the party, my wife and I went to the only"stand alone" Ruth Chris for dinner and asked for the waiter recommended to us by said "Birthday Boy." The food was as always perfect, but the waiter even more so, My "fleet average" tip is 20% of the TOTAL tab (I don't f dick around with subtracting the tip bullshit), but this guy was so good I doubled the tip. Here's the bottom line to me: if a waiter/server goes out of their way to make my dining experience memorable, giving him an extra big tip is not going to affect me financially, but it might just help them and i enjoy the "gift of giving."...

Bad service is different: If I get that, I just go to the manager

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I usually leave $1 plus the change that I get back from the bill in tip jars for pick up orders and cafeteria style restaurants and $2 per person at the table for buffets if the "waiter" does a good job of keeping used plates clear and drinks full, if they only clear plates $1 per person.

I tip 20% on bill rounded up to the next whole $1.

Since it has never happened for me, I can't imagine a waiter providing service worth 40% of the bill, particularly at an over-priced chain like Ruth's Chris. But Omaha is a meat cutting town, so locally owned steak houses are more the norm. Small town restaurants in cattle country usually have good beef too, otherwise people who know beef wouldn't eat there. Dude's in Sidney, NE, is a case in point, great beef and fresh, not frozen, mountain oysters too.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell, I tip the guys at the tire shop that fix my flats or air up my tires.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I am served, there will always be a tip. If it's bad service I receive, the tip is reduced. Good service gets about 15%. If it's truly outstanding service, I'll add substantially more, like maybe a 10 instead of 5. That's five stinking dollars extra, which doesn't mean a helluva lit to me, but when the person who waited on me sees a 30% tip, just think of how that feels to them. Five bucks very well spent, IMO.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Don't tip here as it is generally viewed as slightly bemusing or downright rude...if there is a jar or a tin it will be for a cancer research charity (Canteen) or for the Children's hospital.

That’s the way it is in most of the world. In the U.S. tipping has become a status symbol, a way to show you’re a high roller. Witness the number of guys on here bragging about how much they tip. The restaurants and servers play it up because they they want the money. The rest of the world thinks we’re a bunch of obnoxious braggarts trying to flaunt wealth.

I tend to tip well because I don’t want to be “that guy”, but tipping is out of control and stupid in the U.S., everybody’s got their hand out.

Well...unless you cover the restaurant owners employment costs.....the industry will collapse!

The reason most restaurants fail in the first two years is because cheep bastards like you who wont cover those operating costs.

Its systemic.

Systemic oppression!

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.