Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the upbeat.

Might be hot and dry here but the Walleye are hitting in Lake Francis.

[Linked Image]

Looks like I'll be here for another week or so, suppose to be getting a electrical project up and running here but my crew won't be here until late tonight.

The fishing here will give my sumtin to bide my time while they work.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was in E WA a couple weeks ago. Looked dry. Saw 3 good size fires. One just outside of Spokane was causing evacuations.

I don’t know what typical wheat harvests are but fella on the radio said they’d be lucky to average 50 bushel an acre.

Pretty sure we had a above average snowpack this year.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Lorne
We are completely fugcked here.

Jim

That sums it up here as well

We are pretty close to you,north of the Medicine Line and east a bit

Did you guys get a couple of those really nasty looking storms a week or so ago?

Yep, hail here Sunday night, broke some windows, siding. Mostly pea sized but a mixture with a few bigger than golf balls. Worse east of us 10-12 miles

Narrow strip flattened some crop that was done. Not a lot of damage to hay , it’s done

Grass fire south 10 miles on Monday, lucky to get it out quick

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We are completely fugcked here.

Jim

That sums it up here as well

We are pretty close to you,north of the Medicine Line and east a bit

Did you guys get a couple of those really nasty looking storms a week or so ago?

Yep, hail here Sunday night, broke some windows, siding. Mostly pea sized but a mixture with a few bigger than golf balls. Worse east of us 10-12 miles

Narrow strip flattened some crop that was done. Not a lot of damage to hay , it’s done

Grass fire south 10 miles on Monday, lucky to get it out quick

Not sure where you are but we watched a nasty one about that time. The entire cloud was flashing orange.

I would guess it was somewhere around Frontier.....give or take a hundred miles!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I do combine some wheat this year, I am going to put my straw saver attachment back on the 9600.

Under the right conditions.....the cattle do really well on straw bunches.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the 80s we fed quite a bit of straw. Winter wheat straw mostly. Good feed of pellets with it for protein
We saved the hay we had for close to calving and through calving. It worked pretty well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Was in E WA a couple weeks ago. Looked dry. Saw 3 good size fires. One just outside of Spokane was causing evacuations.

I don’t know what typical wheat harvests are but fella on the radio said they’d be lucky to average 50 bushel an acre.

Pretty sure we had a above average snowpack this year.

Shiit she’s dry over on the west side buddy… the drought ain’t a joke. The north fork of the newaukum is the lowest I’ve seen in 20 years I’ve lived on it. It’s early September levels already

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 300_savage
In the 80s we fed quite a bit of straw. Winter wheat straw mostly. Good feed of pellets with it for protein
We saved the hay we had for close to calving and through calving. It worked pretty well.

Dad dry lotted his cows once in the 80's on 10 pounds of really, really good valley hay and all the straw they would eat.

It WAS NOT this nasty burnt up hay we put up!

We are going to order 25 ton of cake tomorrow. Hoping that if we sell down a bit, we will be able to get by with straw, grazing, cake and what little hay we have.

We could sell lots of stock and not buy any cake....but we still need to be in business next year and doubt re-stocking will be terribly affordable.

We have never fed cake before, ever. But we have a cake feeder that I feed safflower and barley with.

Looking into trying to get the claves up to 450 as early as possible. Anything under that and they are going for 400 to 500 bucks.

Wondering if creep feeding them would pay this year?

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jim

Straight east in Mankota.

It’s drier west, Val Marie & Bracken , probably Frontier.

My hay was 1/3 last year which was no screaming hell. And mine was better than most because it’s newer ...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jim

Straight east in Mankota.

It’s drier west, Val Marie & Bracken , probably Frontier.

My hay was 1/3 last year which was no screaming hell. And mine was better than most because it’s newer ...

My dryland hay stands are all ten years old or so.

Thinking that they should be pastures now.....and switch to farming for the livestock. Buy more sheep and run more yearlings or something.

Grow more grazing corn and sorghum sudangrass for stockpiled winter forage.

Plant winter triticale or forage winter wheat for hay. Fertilize for a stand.

I think that down here in the 10 inch precip range, fertilizing a planted forage crop might be more cost effective than spreading fertilizer on dryland hay.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My hay is only 4 or 5 years old . I don’t make my living at it , it’s family land.

Lots more of that going on here, especially corn. We don’t see much sorghum or winter triticale though. I’ve used triticale as a cover crop and a green feed, nice mix with oaths

I think you are correct,fertilizers on crop seems to work better here than on dry land hay

That cake/range pellet sure stretches the forage.

Your approach seems to work pretty well. When that stuff doesn’t fall out of the sky it’s a tough go😟

Last edited by Lorne; 07/15/21.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Damn, appears to swing like oil and gas.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
$11 spring wheat by September...

Hail took out a bunch of irrigated wheat here.

And alfalfa.

Talk about chitty luck.

Sky high prices and whammo.

That would piss this fellow off mightily.

Sorry to hear that.

Might be I should tell the wife to stock up on flour for our baking needs over the winter?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It wasn't our crop Geno, we lucked out!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
How’s the grasshopper problem out your way, Sam

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They are working the edges.

Not real bad, yet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300_savage

Dad dry lotted his cows once in the 80's on 10 pounds of really, really good valley hay and all the straw they would eat.

It WAS NOT this nasty burnt up hay we put up!

We are going to order 25 ton of cake tomorrow. Hoping that if we sell down a bit, we will be able to get by with straw, grazing, cake and what little hay we have.

We could sell lots of stock and not buy any cake....but we still need to be in business next year and doubt re-stocking will be terribly affordable.

We have never fed cake before, ever. But we have a cake feeder that I feed safflower and barley with.

Looking into trying to get the claves up to 450 as early as possible. Anything under that and they are going for 400 to 500 bucks.

Wondering if creep feeding them would pay this year?

That always depends on the price of creep and tbe price of calves. Works great when first one is low and 2nd one 9s high! We've never creeped the calves, did supplement the cows with protein blocks in 1980. Thinking we may have to do something this year to get through. Right now we are grazing some crp that came out last year. That was good timing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hoppers are bad in Phillips. Went south of Malta with the extension agent, some spring wheat that had failed and was going to be hayed. Nope, hoppers slicked it off, there were four inch stems only, no moisture within. I pulled a couple, tried to chew them for some kind of idea on how dry, couldn't feel or smell anything resembling water. Wish this bubble would break. Really is an emergency.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This was a couple hours ago.

I'm gonna wrap it up here soon in another hour.

Hordes of hoppers in that green patch.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's pretty sad looking hay Sam. At first I was like, there is a little hay there at least, then you got out of the low spot and there wasn't chit! If anyone is looking for hay to import from the NW side, let me know. I know a few hay farmers, but I'm not sure what they have still available.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,848
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.